pso.exe on linux

Sylverant is a homebrew open source server for Phantasy Star Online. Dreamcast users still play PSO online with this server even today! This is the official forum for both the online game server as well as the open source project itself. Feel free to post and get a gathering started online! We can also show you how to get connected!

Moderators: BlueCrab, Aleron Ives

Ayla
DC Developer
DC Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

pso.exe on linux

Post by Ayla »

Hi,

I reinstalled PSO today on Linux.
The original installation works fine, I am able to play with my wireless x360 pad just fine, just not online.

But as soon as I replace the original pso.exe, things get worse: the game will crash on startup if joysticks are connected, and if they are not, the game will behave just as if the UP key was pressed constantly.

Do anyone know how can I fix it?
Ayla
DC Developer
DC Developer

Re: pso.exe on linux

Post by Ayla »

OK, nevermind, I hex-edited the original pso.exe binary and now it connects to sylverant just fine.

EDIT: heh, now I can't type... x_x
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

I believe if you're using Wine, you need the Vista/7 typing patch to be able to talk. Also, if by "original" pso.exe, you mean the one that the game installs for you, be aware that it's more primitive than the updated ones and behaves more like the Dreamcast version. If you quit the game without saving, you'll lose your unequipped items, or at least your Meseta, like you do on the Dreamcast. The new executables fix that, among other things.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
Ayla
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Ayla »

I know that. But the new pso.exe binaries won't behave correctly on Wine ; it acts just like if the "UP" key was kept pressed all the time, and it crashes at startup if a joystick is plugged in.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

I've not had any problems with the versions of the pso.exe that are sent out by the Sylverant patch server (which are also the ones at PSO Palace and elsewhere) in Wine. Perhaps its a regression since the last time I updated my Wine install? I'm using 1.2.2 (on Mac OS X), and it works just fine...
Ayla
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Ayla »

Okay, I tested with the latest stable version (1.2.3) of Wine and the problem is the same...