New DC Player

Sylverant is a homebrew open source server for Phantasy Star Online. Dreamcast users still play PSO online with this server even today! This is the official forum for both the online game server as well as the open source project itself. Feel free to post and get a gathering started online! We can also show you how to get connected!

Moderators: BlueCrab, Aleron Ives

Sir Dragoon
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New DC Player

Post by Sir Dragoon »

Hey guys, just joined the server tonight. After I found out about the patcher for v2, I got the itch to try it out after I found a good guide to setting up a DC/PC system since I don't have dialup or a BBA. Looks like lobby chat works fine, and solo play also works. However if I join someone's game, or they join mine, I get disconnected shortly afterward. Does anyone else on here use the DC/PC method to play and have had better luck?

I'll try rebuilding my server tomorrow but if I can get this working, I might play on here regularly (at least I know I can play solo so far) =)
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Re: New DC Player

Post by Aleron Ives »

Are you using Linux? That seems to be the most stable/reliable method, aside from using Windows 98.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
Sir Dragoon
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Sir Dragoon »

Yeah it's actually Crashbang Linux 10 in Virtualbox. The original guide called for using VMWare but I thought I'd give Virtualbox a try since I already had it installed. I'm thinking perhaps the virtual way of going about it might be the problem, but since it's not 100% flawed (I am stable until certain things happen) I wasn't sure. So I'll give VMWare a try then all else failing I'll just bite the bullet and use an old desktop I have.
Ayla
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Ayla »

Try to ping the dreamcast while you play, to keep some traffic on the telephone cable.
I remember I was doing that, I don't remember if it was actually helpful.
Sir Dragoon
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Sir Dragoon »

Allright! Got it working tonight. I ended up switching over to VMWare Player which surprisingly made a difference. I don't know why just yet, but I never got disconnected even with two people joining my game on separate points during the evening.
Sanshiro
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Sanshiro »

Hi there

Hope to play with you soon!

Why do you not have dial up? Surely you have a phone socket in your house?
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

Most people use broadband and don't want to pay an extra monthly fee for dial-up access. If you only have one phone line, you may also not want to prevent people from calling you while you play. Some people even opt not to pay for phone service at all and use VOIP or cell service exclusively instead.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
Sanshiro
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Sanshiro »

well I pay for dial up - free for 1 hour then 1p per min after that (after 6pm)