So what are you playing this winter?

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

So what are you playing this winter?

Post by DaMadFiddler »

We've hit the end-of-year gaming flood, and my girlfriend (like many people this weekend) has disappeared into Skyrim, which she's had preordered for several months now. What games are you most looking forward to / most involved in as 2011 heads into the home stretch?
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Re: So what are you playing this winter?

Post by BlueCrab »

I'm looking forward to another season of looking at my stack of RPGs and not getting to play them. :|

That said, I haven't even been following what games are coming out lately. I know that I don't have the time to play anything, so why should I even bother?
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

My holidays are starting off with Assassins Creed and Zelda, followed by Skyrim sometime in February. As for handhelds, I'm about halfway through the newest Layton, and I plan to follow that up with Mario Land 3D and a second playthrough of Mother 3 in the new year.
Klonoa
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Klonoa »

UMVC3 (Anyone getting this?)
MGS HD Collection
Disgaea 4
Saints Row the 3rd
King of Fighters XIII
Zelda

In other UMVC3 news a lot of people are ravagely angry that X will be a dlc costume for Zero.

mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

I'm going to play Sonic Generations, and maybe Super Street Fighter IV.

I've also just finished Sonic Advance for the GBA, and started playing Sonic Advance 2, which tries too hard to be like Sonic Adventure 2 and so far seems to be crap in comparison to the first one.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

There are several games I'd like to play, though for budget reasons I'll probably only end up getting one or two. Here are the new/recent releases I've got my eye on:

- Alice: Madness Returns
- Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. This wasn't originally on my radar, but several different sources have now called it both the "best Zelda game ever" and "the best game on Wii."
- Mario Kart 7. I loves me some Mario Kart.
- Rayman Origins. Looks like a lot of fun.
- Sonic Generations. I tried really, really hard to be cynical about this game after a decade of Sonic disappointments, but I have to admit that I want it. I'll probably wait until the price drops, though.
- Super Mario 3D Land.
- Uncharted 3. Loved the first one. Enjoyed the second, but the set pieces were a little too absurd and that was distracting. Heard good things about the third.
- Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3. Hadn't yet gotten the original by the time this one was announced, so I held off.

Older games I want but haven't gotten around to getting yet:
- Epic Mickey. Just never got around to getting it.
- Heavy Rain. Enjoyed Indigo Prophecy, heard that this one's better.
- InFamous 2. Loved the original.
- LA Noire
- LittleBigPlanet 2. Loved the original; never got around to getting the sequel.
- ModNation Racers. Speaking of which, my understanding is that this is to MarioKart as to LittleBigPlanet is to platformers.
- Red Dead Redemption

...I suspect what's ACTUALLY going to happen is that I'll get Zelda, and maybe one of the portable or older titles, since they're less expensive, and then hold off on the rest. As mentioned in another thread, money's been kind of tight ever since we moved, so my game purchases have been way down this year. But then, I still have a couple things on the shelf that I haven't finished yet, so....
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

I'm sucked into Skyrim for another month, hoping to complete as much as I can until Star Wars: The Old Republic is out. This would probably be easier if I spent more time getting shit done instead of hunting down in-game books to catch up on what's happened since Oblivion (it's extremely confusing, with not enough details) Meanwhile, I still put a couple of hours into Battlefield 3 every day (usually before bed).
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Beaten Sonic Generations, MW3 and Batman already and playing Skyrim now (probably for the next month or so).

After that, I've got Assassin's Creed Revelations, Saints Row 3, Rayman Origins, MGS HD Collection and Zelda to keep me company. I'm saving Zelda for Christmas, because Zelda at Christmas will make me feel like a little kid again :grin:

I've also barely touched Deus Ex because I got all busy. The good news is my son has grown up enough now to be slightly more predictable and straight-forward about his daily demands so I have time to get some good gaming in these days.

Anyway, back to it. Such an amazing Q4 this year. Nom nom nom.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

I'm finally putting some time into my massive PS3 backlog. I'm finishing up Rachet & Clank: A Crack In Time, and hopefully I can pick up a copy of All-4-One sometime soon. Also need to go back and finish the trophies for the first two Uncharted games and pick up the third one. I'm also gonna try Demon's Souls AGAIN.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Luriden wrote: I'm also gonna try Demon's Souls AGAIN.

Good luck, man... that is one rocky fucking road.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Jeeba Jabba wrote:
Luriden wrote: I'm also gonna try Demon's Souls AGAIN.

Good luck, man... that is one rocky fucking road.
I've still got that sitting on my shelf untouched. It intrigues me, but things have been so rocky lately that I'm not sure I really want the frustration that's sure to come with it.

Also, we've been butting up against the PS3's storage capacity for some time now. Every time we start a new game, we have to uninstall the system data for a previous game. Next time I've got some spare cash amassed, I need to track down a bigger hard drive; the PlayStation still has its stock 60GB.

Any ideas how to go about transferring save data and downloaded games/DLC to a new drive?
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

DaMadFiddler wrote: Any ideas how to go about transferring save data and downloaded games/DLC to a new drive?
Yep, I did a drive upgrade myself when I got PS+. Basically, all you need is pretty much any standard laptop hard drive and external USB drive that is bigger than your current hard drive. Plug the USB in, and somewhere under the system settings you'll find the option to back up your current hard drive. It will then make an image and save it as a single file on the USB drive. Then you pop off the back cover, very carefully remove the tiny blue screw (that was nearly impossible to remove on mine), drop the laptop hard drive in place of the old, and close it back up. When you turn the console on, it will format the drive and the ask if you want to restore your backup, which you will then point it to the USB drive. Simple as that.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

Finishing up Batman, looking forward to:
Zelda, Assassins Creed, Gears 3, Skyrim, Mario 3DS, Mario Kart 3DS

Still have LA Noire, Red Dead Redemption and Castlevania virtually unplayed.

Game of the year for me was either Portal 2 or Batman. Close call.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

not just souLLy now wrote:Game of the year for me was either Portal 2 or Batman. Close call.
Exactly the same for me you sexy man.

Skyrim stands a chance, but the glitches might keep it off my top-spot on principle. I was having a great time up until last night, then everything suddenly started going wrong at once.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

DaMadFiddler wrote: - Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. This wasn't originally on my radar, but several different sources have now called it both the "best Zelda game ever" and "the best game on Wii."
BOOM
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Specially Cork wrote:
DaMadFiddler wrote: - Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword. This wasn't originally on my radar, but several different sources have now called it both the "best Zelda game ever" and "the best game on Wii."
BOOM
Sounds like we need to melt your icy heart with a cool island song (wait...):

^ excerpt from a Zelda OST CD included with first-print copies of Skyward Sword
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

Specially Cork wrote:
not just souLLy now wrote:Game of the year for me was either Portal 2 or Batman. Close call.
Exactly the same for me you sexy man.

Skyrim stands a chance, but the glitches might keep it off my top-spot on principle. I was having a great time up until last night, then everything suddenly started going wrong at once.
It wouldn't feel like a Bethesda game if you didn't randomly fall through the floor and meet people missing heads walking around
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Two hours after dropping the gold to get a horse, Eva dismounted just to watch said horse go rocketing into the air, never to be seen again.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Horses are shit. They're expensive, slow, they glitch out, you STILL can't fight when you're on one, it takes forever to mount and dismount, there's no way to call them, the animation doesn't change when you try walking up a an 80 degree slope so you look like you're riding Spiderhorse aaaand they run toward every fight into near-certain horsey death.'

After the way Red Dead Redemption and Assassin''s Creed handled horses I expected major improvements over Oblivion.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Specially Cork wrote:aaaand they run toward every fight into near-certain horsey death.'

Not Shadowmere. Fucker finished off a dragon for me.