Trading PS3 slim for 60gb?

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Trading PS3 slim for 60gb?

Post by Luriden »

I know a few people here have the 60gb BC PS3, how are those holding up so far? We got one in where I work and if I trade in my 120gb slim and slim PS2 for store credit, the 60gb would be pretty much free with my discount. It would be cheaper than buying a wireless PS2 controller, and I'd get PS2 upscaling as a bonus. I have a 500gb drive in my slim right now that I plan on putting in the 60gb, so hard drive space is not a concern. The console itself looks brand new, not a scratch on it, but I want to make sure the consoles aren't dropping like flies with YLOD at this point.
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Re: Trading PS3 slim for 60gb?

Post by melancholy »

I have two of them, one of which was a retail unit that was running nonstop for a year. Both of them run perfectly fine to this day. I dropped a 250GB drive in one of them and it set up the drive with no problems. If it were me, I would definitely do the swap, as I use the PS2 function more than actual PS3 games.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I've had a 60GB original for...3.5 years? Like Mel I upgraded the HDD and I've had absolutely no problems with it whatsoever. I'd definitely swap for one too.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

I asked the same question over at Cheap Ass Gamer and everyone said to hold onto my slim, as most fat consoles are dying/dead now. I guess it's a toss-up. I know as an employee I have an extended return policy at work (return it anyday, even 3 years later, with the receipt and get the current price value in the form you paid with originally) but I need to see if it includes consoles. If so, I might go for it. Like you melancholy, I seem to play more PS2 than PS3 except for the PS3 exclusive here and there; my 360 gets all the multi-platform game action.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

I've got the 60GB model with "full" PS2 compatibility (both CPU and GPU). Got it right when they announced that model was going to be discontinued, and it's seen fairly heavy use as the heart of our entertainment system. It probably spends about equal time running PS3 games, PS2 games, and DVDs, and it's survived two moves.

No problems so far. Of course, we are careful to let it rest for a while if it's been running for a long time. I have heard that these early models are vulnerable to heat.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

I have a US launch 60GB model. It had some problems once (seemed like a flaky HDD to me; a game was taking way too long to load, as were XMB icons) but they went away and haven't recurred since.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

...Now that I'm thinking about it, I really do need to stick a new hard drive in that thing. It's still got the original 60GB model, and we've been at the point for a while where we have to erase old things to save/install new things. I wish I could stick a giant multi-terabyte drive in there and load it up with rips of all my DVDs, but 2.5" drives are expensive. This would be a lot easier if Apple would just play nice and use the same media streaming protocol as everyone else; then I could simply stream things to the PS3 from my computer.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

Well I went for the trade. Got home with the PS3 and realized the warranty seal had been voided (we shouldn't have even taken it in at work in that case, someone wasn't doing their job). I should have checked before getting it, but I assumed since my boss took it in, and the console itself looks new, it was good to go.

I didn't know you couldn't swap hard drives between PS3s like you can 360s and lost all my saves, included my FF6 save near the end of the game. Blah. I didn't really have a choice, it needed to format before I could use it and I don't think management will be happy about me swapping hard drives at work to get my saves backed up.

It froze the first time I tried to boot a PS2 game, worked every time after that. Temperature wise it does get hot, but only when playing a PS3 game does it get really noticeable. I had it sitting at the Uncharted 2 main menu for 30 minutes while I was on the phone and the room was about as hot as having my 360 on for three hours. Don't know if that's normal for the fat models or not.

The warranty being voided is my biggest scare. Nobody breaks the warranty seal for fun; this thing had to be repaired at one point for whatever reason. If I take it back I can get a store credit refund in full, but I can't get my consoles back unless I pay the difference out of pocket (which will be about $100). Not sure what to do here. PS3 game wise I only use it for exclusives; I may just take it back for a store credit refund, get a PS2 and some 360 games with it, and hold onto the hard drive for when the 120 gig slim drops in price and take it up the ass as a loss. It's better than getting comfortable with this fat console now that I know hard drives can't be shared with PS3s. I'm going to need to back up my save files to a flash drive after every play now that I know that YLOD instantly means EVERYTHING is gone FOREVER.

EDIT/UPDATE: Had my first real gaming session with it tonight. Played Uncharted 1 for about an hour and a black box kept flickering on and off of my screen. I put in a different game and it's gone, put Uncharted 1 back in and the black box is back. It's not the game; it worked fine on my old PS3. Most likely the graphics card is having problems, not sure if it's due to me having it on for too long or what. I did have the console idling on the XMB for awhile before playing the game.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

Through some coaxing, I managed to get my consoles back. I'm not sure what I learned from this. I guess it's that non-slim consoles are win or lose, and best when bought unused. I'll stick with my slim for awhile.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

What you should've learned is the virtue of patience.

You should've patiently inspected the hardware rather than drooling on it immediately, I spent almost a year in order to lock down on my 60GB unit. I admit taking a year was excessive but I was stupid previously and bought the RE5360 without inspecting the 360 hardware in general.

Also I rarely touch anything unless it is sealed when i'm buying from GameStop, it isn't entirely because of the employees, it is basically a system where the trader can easily con them at eBay I can leave negative feedback weeks after I've purchased something from them.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

cube_b3 wrote:What you should've learned is the virtue of patience.

You should've patiently inspected the hardware rather than drooling on it immediately, I spent almost a year in order to lock down on my 60GB unit. I admit taking a year was excessive but I was stupid previously and bought the RE5360 without inspecting the 360 hardware in general.

Also I rarely touch anything unless it is sealed when i'm buying from GameStop, it isn't entirely because of the employees, it is basically a system where the trader can easily con them at eBay I can leave negative feedback weeks after I've purchased something from them.
I did inspect the hardware actually. We had it for a week and I'd look it over every time I went in to work, and I plugged it in to test it a few times but would have customers come in every time. The only thing I didn't check was the warranty seal, which I should have. The #1 priority when buying used systems from customers is to always check the warranty seal, taking in a system with a broken warranty seal is as bad as buying CD-Rs from customers so I just assumed it was top priority considering a manager brought it in. I shouldn't assume.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Luriden wrote:I shouldn't assume.
Particularly when it pertains to management :wink:
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I'd love to get a BC PS3, just because it's so much nicer looking just having one system sitting on the shelf below the TV, but I'm too scared of getting one that'll be fucked quick.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Totally understand the fear part, I am just glad I bought mine from a friend who is a finicky as me.
But it isn't that expensive anymore... so it is still worth buying.