Post everytime that you buy a new game...

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Post everytime that you buy a new game...

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Star Fox 64 3D.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

BoneyCork wrote:
Luriden wrote:
Code-Red wrote:You going to be picking up Battlefield, Luriden?
No. I played a demo of the last Battlefield game and it felt identical to CoD in every way. I can't stand CoD.

At this point, there's no other games even announced that I'm looking forward to, so I guess Gears of War 3 and Rock Band 3 will be my two weapons of choice for awhile unless a new franchise comes along next year that takes me by surprise. I can do without Skyrim or anything Halo related until they hit under the $20 range.
SAINTS ROW 3
Not a fan of GTA games, I played the first two Saints Row and they didn't do anything for me. I've looked into it, and Saints Row 3 has some interesting quirks but not enough to disguise the fact that it's still GTA4 on crack. I'll buy it, play it a few times for quick lulz but it'll be collecting dust otherwise.
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

Got Uncharted 1, beat it. 6.5/10
Got Uncharted 2, beat it. 7.5/10

I would have enjoyed these games more if there was less shooting, and more problem/puzzle solving.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

DanteJay wrote:Got Uncharted 1, beat it. 6.5/10
Got Uncharted 2, beat it. 7.5/10

I would have enjoyed these games more if there was less shooting, and more problem/puzzle solving.
I liked the first Uncharted better than the second, mainly because there was more believability to the environments. They did a pretty decent job of making the environments interesting while working the Prince of Persia-style puzzle platformer bits in relatively seamlessly. In Uncharted 2, the environmental design seldom made any sense except that it would be interesting for a lone monkey-man to swing through one time. They weren't even pretending to be logical designs, which severely hurts the suspension of disbelief.

This is the same problem a lot of second rate Indiana Jones-knockoff adventure movies run into. There are crazy temples/secret passageways/whatever else that clearly have no purpose, could NEVER have been used for anything (never mind how they were built in the first place) at any point in time, and were blatantly designed for this one character to take an improbable course of actions through just this one time.

That feeling hit me full-on around the Himalayan temple in Uncharted 2, and from that point I had trouble maintaining enough interest to even finish the game, because I was too distracted by the backgrounds.

And yeah, I know most games have totally unrealistic level designs; that's part of what makes those levels interesting and challenging to play through. But part of what I really liked about the first Uncharted was how it had taken these PoP-style elements and woven them into something that actually made *sense* as an environment (most of the time, at least), which really helped bolster its cinematic feel.
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

DaMadFiddler wrote:
I liked the first Uncharted better than the second, mainly because there was more believability to the environments. They did a pretty decent job of making the environments interesting while working the Prince of Persia-style puzzle platformer bits in relatively seamlessly. In Uncharted 2, the environmental design seldom made any sense except that it would be interesting for a lone monkey-man to swing through one time. They weren't even pretending to be logical designs, which severely hurts the suspension of disbelief.

This is the same problem a lot of second rate Indiana Jones-knockoff adventure movies run into. There are crazy temples/secret passageways/whatever else that clearly have no purpose, could NEVER have been used for anything (never mind how they were built in the first place) at any point in time, and were blatantly designed for this one character to take an improbable course of actions through just this one time.

That feeling hit me full-on around the Himalayan temple in Uncharted 2, and from that point I had trouble maintaining enough interest to even finish the game, because I was too distracted by the backgrounds.

And yeah, I know most games have totally unrealistic level designs; that's part of what makes those levels interesting and challenging to play through. But part of what I really liked about the first Uncharted was how it had taken these PoP-style elements and woven them into something that actually made *sense* as an environment (most of the time, at least), which really helped bolster its cinematic feel.
I agree, the sensibility of the level design in the first one was better than the second. The only reason I would say I enjoyed the second one more, was because of it's story, characters and dialogue. I just found it more interesting.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

Both Uncharted games are tied for my favorite PS3 game. I liked the first one's campaign better, I liked the second game's multiplayer better considering it didn't exist in the first game.
Eckostyle
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by Eckostyle »

Mass Effect - A change of pace from my Fallout 3/NV binge, but I'm liking it so far. Garrus needs to learn how doors work.

Dead Island - Best zombie game ever, IMO. Captures the essence of a zombie apocalypse better than L4D does.

Duke Nukem Forever - Fuck the reviews, this game is fun. It's just a more badass version of DN3D, and that's just awesome.

FNV: Lonesome Road - Obsidian gets credit for putting out some awesome DLC. Some of the most unique settings and storytelling I've seen in an RPG.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

NiGHTS. Have been holding off on this game due to mediocre reviews, but I came across a new copy in a clearance bin for $5 and couldn't pass it up at that price.

And, I feel like I got more or less what I paid for. It's a lot like the original, except with more annoying dialogue (I swear... starting with the Dreamcast, Sega decided that all their games need to spend at least as much time telling you a poorly-written story as they do actually letting you play). It doesn't do anything unique or innovative, but it doesn't really do anything wrong either; it's just NiGHTS. The graphics are kind of dated--it looks like a Dreamcast game with improved lighting. That said, it's not a BAD game... just nothing special. At least, what I've played so far.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Gears of War 3
FIFA 12
F1 2011

All on 360.

There's another 11 games I want coming out between now and mid-November including Skyrim, Zelda, Arkham City and Dark Souls. One of the best Q4s in many years IMO. Not gonna have time to fit it all in :(
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Was really looking forward to RAGE... but according to the reviews, and the rage over its performance on PC, I'll wait til it's $30. Gonna go pick up the Ico/Shadow pack in a few.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Battle Kid: Fortress of Peril - NES

Came out a year or two ago, and looks like a cross between Mega Man and VVVVVV.

Should be arriving in the mail shortly.

melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Ico/Shadow of the Colossus Collection. First game I've bought in probably two months, actually. I've been pretty broke lately.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Atelier Totori - PS3

Just what I needed, another game that I probably won't have the time to play any time soon. Oh well.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Child of Eden. Can't believe I forgot that that was out.

It's pretty much a remake/reimagining of Rez, with the themes more overt (not that they were especially subtle before) and taking advantage of the many new graphical tricks that have been developed in the interceding years.

In other words, it's pretty much exactly what I expected. And that's a good thing.
Klonoa
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Klonoa »

Dark Souls - PS3
RE4,5 and CV - PSN

Dark Souls: Loving it. Level 30 Pyromancer.

I was going to buy DR2: Off the Record but it's almost the same exact game as DR2. Got it as a rental at least.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Ico & Shadow of the Colossus - PS3
SoulCalibur 4 - PS3
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Duke Nukem Forever - $10
Rage - Free (through Bethesda Insider)
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I'm not going to pretend I don't have Arkham City because I do and it's amazing.

Also got Dark Souls, but I'm not going to play it now, or before Skyrim, Saints Row or Zelda so it'll be collecting dust until next year sometime most likely.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

BoneyCork wrote:I'm not going to pretend I don't have Arkham City because I do and it's amazing.

Also got Dark Souls, but I'm not going to play it now, or before Skyrim, Saints Row or Zelda so it'll be collecting dust until next year sometime most likely.
Why not wait until next year when the price drops and when you're ready to play it before purchasing it?
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

Luriden wrote:
BoneyCork wrote:I'm not going to pretend I don't have Arkham City because I do and it's amazing.

Why not wait until next year when the price drops and when you're ready to play it before purchasing it?
I assume he probably got the free limited edition upgrade before it became super rare.