Goddamnit, George Lucas

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Goddamnit, George Lucas

Post by DaMadFiddler »

At this point, I'm convinced this is either (a) the same sort of disorder as Michael Jackson's cosmetic surgery addiction, or (b) all part of a plot to make the original trilogy as bad as the prequels so the latter don't seem as bad by comparison.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/hey-what ... thi,61178/
The A.V. Club wrote:George Lucas’ quest to correct the mistakes of his past continues, with the upcoming Blu-ray editions bearing the computer-generated fruits of his labor and the true, final realization of his vision for Star Wars, depending on what time it is. And in addition to banishing puppet Yoda to the primitive age of the late ’90s, recipients of early review copies (as collected by io9 and confirmed by Badass Digest) say they have noticed that Lucas, as promised, has also made a few other minor tweaks here and there to the original trilogy. First up: Giving the Ewoks in Return Of The Jedi eyes that actually move and blink—a disconcerting addition at first, perhaps, but one that’s relatively benign, especially considering Lucas could have made them somersault and blow raspberries if he wanted them to, because they’re his and he can he do what he wants to them.

Secondly, Obi-Wan Kenobi’s famed “Krayyt Dragon” call to scare off a band of Tusken Raiders in the original Star Wars has been enhanced, by which we mean it now sounds as though Obi-Wan accidentally sat on the pointy end of a walrus. Here’s the new audio synced with footage from an earlier, now-inferior DVD copy.

And last and perhaps most controversially: In the climax of Return Of The Jedi, where Darth Vader at last regains his humanity after witnessing the torture of his son, turns on the Emperor, then throws him to his death in an act of ultimate defiance and self-sacrifice, the revelatory drama of this internal conflict is now more acutely expressed by Darth Vader yelling, “NOOOOOOOOOO!” a couple of times.

That line, a clear callback to Vader’s similarly expressive “NOOOOOOOOOO!” from Revenge Of The Sith, thus completes the character’s journey and reminds the audience that, while he seems superficially like the epitome of badass evil, Darth Vader is actually just the very sensitive victim of a life fraught with tragedy, torment, and difficult choices. Really, Lucas has only begun to scratch the surface when it comes to deepening our understanding of Darth Vader. Perhaps by the time of its next format release, there will be at least two or three more “NOOOOOOOOOO!”s to get that message across.
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Re: Goddamnit, George Lucas

Post by DanteJay »

A little from column a, and little from column b.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Seems fine to me. I don't hate Star Wars...I quite like the series overall, but they're just movies like any other. I don't think small tweaks to any of my favourite movies would have me raging on the internet. People seem to love these films in a way I just can't comprehend. He's not making wholesale changes to an amazing story. He's making slight tweaks to a fairly humdrum one.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

No. NOOOOOO!

mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Goddamnit, George Lucas.

[edit] This comment on the video's page sums it up:
The beauty of the scene as originally cut is that you aren't expecting Vader to attack the Emperor. It happens suddenly and out of nowhere when he picks him up. Leading into it with a bunch of soggy "Nooooooo...." is a pathetic idea... Poor Lucas and his Adult-onset-retardation...
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Noah120
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Noah120 »

George is now epic fail lol
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

Uhhhhh...

What a total load of BS. Release the damn movies in their original format. Anamorphic widescreen, Dolby sound, and no damn edits.

How hard could that be?
ImageImageImageImage
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

You know part of what made that scene so great, at least to me, was the lack of sound in favor of music. Vader's grunts and the emperor's scream and crackle of lightning were muted in comparison to the swelling music.

Anyways, I think Lucas just enjoys the notion of his work being 'organic' and I can appreciate that. Too often movies stay untouched after theatrical release, where so much is concerned with bringing in big crowds. Think of how many movies you know that got great upgrades when the Director's cut or extended editions are released (as opposed to the recent trend to 'unrated' which is planned from the start typically).

The problem is that he's become a significantly worse director and is surrounded by people who revere him as opposed to challenging him. Perhaps he was always just as bad though and struck good with the low-budget nature of the original movies. In so many interviews he says 'this is just the vision I always had in my mind, but could never do because the technology and money weren't there'.

The way the argument is put out by most fans though is simply 'this isn't what I saw when I was 10, FU!!!!!' as opposed to 'these changes are disjointed and confusing, adding little or nothing to the movies and detracting overall.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Quzar wrote:The way the argument is put out by most fans though is simply 'this isn't what I saw when I was 10, FU!!!!!' as opposed to 'these changes are disjointed and confusing, adding little or nothing to the movies and detracting overall.
True. I've since come to find that my favorite version of the film isn't even an official release at all: it's Adywan's "Star Wars Revisited." Dude spent 3-4 years re-editing Star Wars, using the 2004 DVD release as a starting point but excising the Special Edition ridiculousness, fixing technical and continuity errors, cleaning up effects, and culling material from multiple versions of the film (particularly in regard to alternate audio tracks) to create probably the most smoothly-flowing and technically competent edit of the film. It's basically what the Special Edition would have been had it been done with tact and restraint, and is all the more impressive due to the fact that it was made by an end user, who only has access to the consumer releases to use as raw material. The only real flaw with it, in my opinion, is the rather lame effect he uses for Obi-Wan's death to replace the dummy.
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

DaMadFiddler wrote:
True. I've since come to find that my favorite version of the film isn't even an official release at all: it's Adywan's "Star Wars Revisited." Dude spent 3-4 years re-editing Star Wars, using the 2004 DVD release as a starting point but excising the Special Edition ridiculousness, fixing technical and continuity errors, cleaning up effects, and culling material from multiple versions of the film (particularly in regard to alternate audio tracks) to create probably the most smoothly-flowing and technically competent edit of the film. It's basically what the Special Edition would have been had it been done with tact and restraint, and is all the more impressive due to the fact that it was made by an end user, who only has access to the consumer releases to use as raw material. The only real flaw with it, in my opinion, is the rather lame effect he uses for Obi-Wan's death to replace the dummy.
Aaaand I'm so checking this out.
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

DanteJay wrote:
DaMadFiddler wrote:
Aaaand I'm so checking this out.
I googled for more information and found this forum post. This man is either a robot or demented genius:
2 - The crawl appears slightly earlier now, as it did pre ANH, so it appears at the correct music cue that Williams’ intended, and how I remember it.
5 - Re-coloured all lasers
11 - Re-coloured R2’s dome lights throughout the movie so they match closer to the rest of the saga. The front light now blinks from red to blue.
46 - Brightened & desiderated the sunset scene.
77 - Added the missing middle strut to all the Falcons cockpit window scenes.
What. The. Fuck? Re-colored all the lasers?
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

He also fixed all the incorrect backdrops in cutaway shots, recomposited all the light sabers, re-edited the Vader/Kenobi duel so that it is faster paced and looks more like an actual sword fight, completely restructured the Death Star assault sequence for tighter pacing, updated the computer graphics (which it always surprised me Lucas didn't do, considering everything else he *did* change), fixed all the hue/saturation issues, fixed the light saber flashes so that the layer priority is correct (i.e. shouldn't flash in front of items that are between the viewer and the light saber), fixed a number of reflections and minor continuity issues, changed some of the music, replaced certain dialog and other audio with alternate takes from other editions of the film, and... well, it's just far too extensive to list everything here.

Check out the link Pixel posted, then watch the film. You should be able to find it on fanedit.info

He spent nearly four years working on it, and is currently wrapping up Empire (due out next year). He plans to do Jedi after that (estimated to arrive in 2016).
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

Yeah, I grabbed some RS links and downloaded it last night. I'm going to try and watch it this weekend.
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

DanteJay wrote:Yeah, I grabbed some RS links and downloaded it last night. I'm going to try and watch it this weekend.
I'm downloading the DL-DVD version right now. There are several people I know that'll want to watch this.
DanteJay
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DanteJay »

pixel wrote:
DanteJay wrote:Yeah, I grabbed some RS links and downloaded it last night. I'm going to try and watch it this weekend.
I'm downloading the DL-DVD version right now. There are several people I know that'll want to watch this.
Lol. I'm halfway in the middle of burning my DVD-DL at this moment. =D Haven't been this excited about start wars for some time.

Edit: This also looks really promising Fall of the Republic
Only 20 minutes of footage from episode 1. :lol:
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

That reminds me: I need to get some dual-layer DVDs. All I have are single-layer ones; I had to watch the film on my laptop rather than the home theater as a result.

You folks might also enjoy the silent film versions. There are two discs: one for the prequel trilogy, and one for the original trilogy. They're not anywhere near as tightly edited and professional looking as Star Wars Revisited, but they are fun--the prequel trilogy, in particular, is a vast improvement over watching the "real" films, and the scratchy silent-film aesthetic gives it a nice "before-times" feel in comparison with 4-6. They can be found on the same site as Revisited--be sure to get the "dusty versions" for the full effect. (As opposed to the normal versions, the "dusty" ones include such period-appropriate processing as dust and scratches, 18 fps--which actually makes the CGI feel a lot less unnatural, scene tinting, and old-format matting... for example, outdoor scenes will be matted full-frame whereas indoor scenes will have an oval matte, underwater scenes will be blue whereas outdoor scenes will often be tan or green, etc.)
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

DaMadFiddler wrote:That reminds me: I need to get some dual-layer DVDs. All I have are single-layer ones; I had to watch the film on my laptop rather than the home theater as a result.

You folks might also enjoy the silent film versions. There are two discs: one for the prequel trilogy, and one for the original trilogy. They're not anywhere near as tightly edited and professional looking as Star Wars Revisited, but they are fun--the prequel trilogy, in particular, is a vast improvement over watching the "real" films, and the scratchy silent-film aesthetic gives it a nice "before-times" feel in comparison with 4-6. They can be found on the same site as Revisited--be sure to get the "dusty versions" for the full effect. (As opposed to the normal versions, the "dusty" ones include such period-appropriate processing as dust and scratches, 18 fps--which actually makes the CGI feel a lot less unnatural, scene tinting, and old-format matting... for example, outdoor scenes will be matted full-frame whereas indoor scenes will have an oval matte, underwater scenes will be blue whereas outdoor scenes will often be tan or green, etc.)
Wat.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

k3nny1550
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by k3nny1550 »

Poor bastard he is, that Lucas. Got tons of money from the first trilogy, set up a film devhouse that revolutionized cinema sound and picture quality, and then he just goes into a tailspin because he wants to edit the crap out of his old work. I heard somewhere that the reason he did this whole "Greedo shot first" bollocks is to keep the film's rating to a PG and yet still keep his edits. I say leave in Han shooting first and take the PG-13 if need be. It's for the fans, dammit.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

k3nny1550 wrote:It's for the fans, dammit.
No it isn't. He doesn't owe you anything.