Dreamcast Media Center

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
baron of badness
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Dreamcast Media Center

Post by baron of badness »

I tried out some stuff last night. Pics of supported size looked cool even though resizing is weird. Played a few videos of some anime and tv shows and suprised it ran them. Speed was half but didnt seem to be skipping/choppy. No sound but that is also in the readme. Forgot to put mp3s on disc so didnt try that out. I liked the gui. Although having a camcorder with HD written on it is ridiculous. Sd support in the future would be awesome and continued progress is what I am anxiously awaiting with this project, it looks cool. Hope you can put out a great multimedia experience on the dreamcast.
Iron in the soul!!
Dreamcastea
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Dreamcastea »

Hi everyone, I've joined to DCEmulation just to say: thank you PH3NOM!. Great work man, DCMC is one of the best apps for Dreamcast, no doubt. Good luck with improving DCMC.
Darksidehearts wrote:I downloaded it yesterday but truth be told I haven't a clue how to compile it, haven't compiled a program before. Tomorrow's my day off so I'll do some research to figure it out and let you know my results.
Use bootdreams, you can make your selfbootable DCMC disc in 5 minutes :wink: .
Sonic-NKT
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Sonic-NKT »

Hi,
is SD Support planned or allready integrated?
Anyway, great work. Its awesome that the scene is existing for so long but yet i open the page and there is still stuff showing up to amaze me ;)
PH3NOM
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by PH3NOM »

Thanks to everyone supporting the project and those who have helped me on the way :lol:

First order of business I think should be bug fixes. Report any you find here!

Next, enhance / optimize current code base.
This means finishing the video decoder applications.

After that, more features will be considered, such as libmikmod.

Neoblast, can you build this with SD support?
Darksidehearts
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Darksidehearts »

[Basil]

Man what the hell you need to compile it if there is compiled version inside and if you even dont know how to compile a programm??
I downloaded the source version instead of the compiled one, I didn't realize it until later that night. Second off I did mention that I was going to research into how to compile a program, I grew up with Mac's all my life and have begun to dive into the Windows and Linux world more so something like that is new territory to me. I feel no shame in declaring my PC Ignorance, this was a learning experience and I leave with knowledge I did not pocess before.

[Dreamcastea]

Use bootdreams, you can make your selfbootable DCMC disc in 5 minutes .
Thank you, I appreciate your aid. I'll have it burned and ready to test tonight when I get home from work.
Indiket
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Indiket »

Well, maybe I'm not Neoblast... but I can try to compile DMC with SD support :)
Also, I want to comment a few things to improve the compilation:

- inttypes.h should be not redeclared in the compilation (GCC4 complains about that). One easy fix is to add an #ifdef

Code: Select all

#ifndef HAVE_INTTYPES_H
#define HAVE_INTTYPES_H
(blabla...)
#endif
- I saw that you are using an old version of KOS, so the thd_create functions need to be corrected with the deatach argument.
Files that affect: wave_core.c, mp4dec.c, flac_dec.c, a52dec.c, mpg123_snddrv.c, ogg_spu.c, fifo.c, snddrv.c

- Next, you are using old and deprecated functions of KOS Maple (src/music_list.c).
In check_controller(), use the next code that uses last Maple functions:

void check_controller() {
	static int up_moved = 0, down_moved = 0, a_pressed = 0, y_pressed = 0, x_pressed = 0;
	static maple_device_t *mcont;
	static cont_state_t *cond;

if (!mcont) {
		mcont = maple_enum_type(0, MAPLE_FUNC_CONTROLLER);
		if (!mcont) { return; }
	}
	cond = (cont_state_t *)maple_dev_status(mcont);
	if (!cond) return;

if (cond->buttons & CONT_DPAD_UP) {
		if ((framecnt - up_moved) > 10) {
			if (selected > 0) {
				selected--;
				if (selected < top) {
					top = selected;
				}
			}
			up_moved = framecnt;
		}
	}
	if (cond->buttons & CONT_DPAD_DOWN) {
		if ((framecnt - down_moved) > 10) {
			if (selected < (num_entries - 1)) {
				selected++;
				if (selected >= (top+10)) {
					top++;
				}
			}
			down_moved = framecnt;
		}
	}
	if (cond->ltrig > 0) {
		if ((framecnt - up_moved) > 10) {
			selected -= 10;

if (selected < 0) selected = 0;
			if (selected < top) top = selected;
			up_moved = framecnt;
		}
	}
	if (cond->rtrig > 0) {
		if ((framecnt - down_moved) > 10) {
			selected += 10;
			if (selected > (num_entries - 1))
				selected = num_entries - 1;
			if (selected >= (top+10))
				top = selected;
			down_moved = framecnt;
		}
	}

if (cond->buttons & CONT_Y) {
		if ((framecnt - y_pressed) > 10)
		{
		strcat(workstring,curdir);
		strcat(workstring,"/");
		strcat(workstring,entries[selected].fn);		
		strcpy(lst_entries[lst_size].fn,workstring);

lst_entries[lst_size].size = entries[selected].size;
		printf("DEBUG: Entry %d : %s\r\n",lst_size,lst_entries[lst_size].fn);

workstring[0]=0;

lst_size++;

}
		y_pressed=framecnt;
	}

if ((cond->buttons & CONT_A) && !load_queued) {
		if ((framecnt - a_pressed) > 10)
		{

if (!strcmp(entries[selected].fn, "Error!"))
			{
				num_entries = 0;
			}
			else if (lst_size > 0)
			{
				printf("DEBUG: Playing playlist...\r\n");
				lst_playing=0;
				stop();
				for (lst_playing=0;lst_playing < lst_size; lst_playing++)
				{
				  if (lst_entries[lst_playing].size > 0)
				  start(lst_entries[lst_playing].fn, curdir);
				  thd_sleep(100);
				}
				lst_size = lst_playing = 0;
				y_pressed=framecnt; /* We do this because in-movie, 'Y' is stop. */
				x_pressed=framecnt;
			}
			else if (entries[selected].size >= 0)
			{
			  char *ext;
				stop();
				strcpy(playdir,curdir);
				strcat(loadme,curdir);
				strcat(loadme,"/");
				strcat(loadme,entries[selected].fn);

ext = (char *)(strchr(entries[selected].fn, '.')+1);

start(loadme, curdir);

loadme[0]=0;
				iplaying=selected;
				y_pressed=framecnt; /* We do this because in-movie, 'Y' is stop. */
				x_pressed=framecnt;
			}
			else
			{
				if (!strcmp(entries[selected].fn, "<..>"))
				{
					int i;
					for (i=strlen(curdir); i>0; i--)
					{
						if (curdir[i] == '/')
						{
							curdir[i] = 0;
							break;
						}
						else
						{
							curdir[i] = 0;
						}
					}
				} 
				else
				{
					if (strcmp(curdir, "/"))
					strcat(curdir, "/");
					strcat(curdir, entries[selected].fn);
				}
				mutex_lock(mut);
				selected = top = num_entries = 0;
				mutex_unlock(mut);
				printf("current directory is now '%s'\n", curdir);
			}

/* Submit polygons to the PVR ***********************/	
		draw_listing();	

}
		a_pressed = framecnt;
	}
}
- When compiling libmpg123, MinGW does not have "sys/select.h" file (Cygwin yes). That header defines a POSIX interface that does not exist on native Windows.
I think that is not necessary, so I commented HAVE_SYS_SELECT_H in config.h

- When compiling libfaad, GCC complains about these undefined references (libfaad/player/mp4dec.c):
mp4ff_meta_get_num_items
mp4ff_meta_get_by_index

I haven't found them in all the code, so I commented the "#ifdef PRINT_MP4_METADATA" section in mp4dec.c

- You forgot a .svn folder inside Tremor folder.

- I would include in the README files the folders where one should call "make" to compile each of the libraries (it's not so trivial to found them!).

One question: How to compile snd_stream.c with the CVSID line? At the moment, I commented it.

----------------------------------

Update: I got lots of luck and I found why did it crash:

OPTFLAGS=-O3 -m4-single-only
Using -O2 in the Makefile everything works perfectly, but -O3 creates a crash even before starting the main() function. As far as I know, there is no real optimization using -O3 in Dreamcast, so I suggest to change back to -O2 :)
Last edited by Indiket on Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neoblast
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Neoblast »

Indiket pretty much sumed it all up.

I am testing more Phenom so I will report some feedback soon.

Everyone who would like to add sd support to anything is as simple as using the kos ( or just the sd part ) in here:

svn://emuforge.com/kos

It's also added to the vfs so you can access the sd as you would any other thing in kos
( /sd/folder/etc.. )

It uses lfn ( long filename ), as any other sd device does but there might be some conflict with microsoft patents regarding lfn but I do not know the current status of that. All of the wii homebrew uses that and I've heard no problem about it . Could anyone clarify the legal situation about it?
Blue?

And for libraries not available in the official kos repository like the updated SDL, Allegro, the new libmikmod among others get them from:

svn://emuforge.com/kosports

Since there a a few things different ( mostly fixes here and there , some different versions of other libraries, SDL is an old version with deprecated maple functions in the official repository ) you may have to create a new toolchain to make use of this kos.

Making use of dcload to play files from pc to waaaay too slow but that's dcloads falt. I haven't tested with the SD yet. But I will today.

EDIT: Quote from fatfs application note:
Note that the LFN feature on the FAT file system is a patent of Microsoft Corporation. This is not the case on FAT32. When enable LFN feature on the commercial products, a license from Microsoft may be required depends on the final destination.
So fo fat32 there would be no problem but... for fat...
I have been reading a little about it and it seems you are only required a license if the project is to be for commercial use and it can be used freely if the project is open source and free.

Also , another quote from another fat/fat32 implementation libs FULL FAT:

http://www.fullfat-fs.co.uk/Home/Features
For free and open-source projects it is completely legal to use LFNs, and this is therefore only and issue for code density and memory footprint requirements.
Does that mean it is legal for open source projects? or... ?
Chilly Willy
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Chilly Willy »

When compiling the svn repo, I get this for alpng:
ake[2]: Leaving directory `/home/jlfenton/Projects/Dreamcast/kos-ports/allegro-4.2.2'
make -C alpng13
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/jlfenton/Projects/Dreamcast/kos-ports/alpng13'
kos-cc -c src/alpng_save.c -o src/alpng_save.o
src/alpng_save.c:34:21: fatal error: dcalleg.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
make[2]: *** [src/alpng_save.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/jlfenton/Projects/Dreamcast/kos-ports/alpng13'
make[1]: *** [_dir_alpng13] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/jlfenton/Projects/Dreamcast/kos-ports'
make: *** [kos-ports_all] Error 2
While the allegro library compiled fine and can be found in the addons lib directory, the includes where apparently not copied.
Neoblast
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Neoblast »

I had that one at some point, you can copy the headers needed to the alpng directory and it should work fine...
PH3NOM
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by PH3NOM »

I really cant be bothered to change the version of K:OS im using - everything works fine :lol:
Unless someone wants to put together a nice package, like Dev Iso R5...
Since I dont even have an SD adapter, I ask for someone else to build it with SD vfs.
Indiket wrote:Well, maybe I'm not Neoblast... but I can try to compile DMC with SD support :)
Also, I want to comment a few things to improve the compilation:

- inttypes.h should be not redeclared in the compilation (GCC4 complains about that). One easy fix is to add an #ifdef

#ifndef HAVE_INTTYPES_H
#define HAVE_INTTYPES_H
(blabla...)
#endif
- I saw that you are using an old version of KOS, so the thd_create functions need to be corrected with the deatach argument.
Files that affect: wave_core.c, mp4dec.c, flac_dec.c, a52dec.c, mpg123_snddrv.c, ogg_spu.c, fifo.c, snddrv.c

- Next, you are using old and deprecated functions of KOS Maple (src/music_list.c).
In check_controller(), use the next code that uses last Maple functions: - When compiling libmpg123, MinGW does not have "sys/select.h" file (Cygwin yes). That header defines a POSIX interface that does not exist on native Windows.
I think that is not necessary, so I commented HAVE_SYS_SELECT_H in config.h

- When compiling libfaad, GCC complains about these undefined references (libfaad/player/mp4dec.c):
mp4ff_meta_get_num_items
mp4ff_meta_get_by_index

I haven't found them in all the code, so I commented the "#ifdef PRINT_MP4_METADATA" section in mp4dec.c

- You forgot a .svn folder inside Tremor folder.

- I would include in the README files the folders where one should call "make" to compile each of the libraries (it's not so trivial to found them!).

One question: How to compile snd_stream.c with the CVSID line? At the moment, I commented it.

----------------------------------

So, after all these mess, I finally managed to compile it. But unfortunately it crashes when I launch on the Dreamcast with the next undefined error at (sh-addr2line):
E:\MinGW\msys\1.0\kos\dcmc_beta1_8-21-2011/src/jpg_core.c:271

That is the next line:
rv->data = (void *)( temp_tex = (uint16 *)memalign(32, rv->w * rv->h * 2) );

Seems that crashes before the application starts... maybe libjpeg is broken in last KOS? Anyone got any clue? :)
Thanks for the feedback.
At some point I would like to host this on GitHub, so others like yourself can submit to the repository.

Almost sounds like a compiler issue; I dont use MinGW, I use cygwin.

Have you changed something in the GUI?
LibJPG is not used for the GUI, so if LibJPG was broken, it wouldnt crash the entire application, only when trying to load a JPG from the file menu.

The compiler I use compiles fine with the CVSID line, its actually in a lot of K:OS code, but commenting it out cant hurt anything...

And all of the changes you made to get the libs to build, dont sound like anything that should break them.

About the controller functions on the file menu, that was ripped directly from ghettoplay-vorbis in K:OS.
I have been meaning to update that function, thanks for posting the new code :0

I hate to say it, but can you try using a cygwin compiler?

BTW, it was a conscious decision not to mention where to find the makefiles:-)
This gives the opportunity to look more closely at the code base!
Indiket
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Indiket »

BTW, it was a conscious decision not to mention where to find the makefiles:-)
This gives the opportunity to look more closely at the code base!
Heh, that was a funny answer :-P

As you said, there's no real need to update KOS, but I love the adventures and try crazy stuff ;)
I also have a cygwin installation, but is based on DDEr4 (you know, the "stable" version), and that one does not have the SD thing.
Last edited by Indiket on Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Neoblast wrote:It uses lfn ( long filename ), as any other sd device does but there might be some conflict with microsoft patents regarding lfn but I do not know the current status of that. All of the wii homebrew uses that and I've heard no problem about it . Could anyone clarify the legal situation about it?
Blue?
The two patents that Microsoft has related to FAT in the US are: I'm not a lawyer, so I can't give any legal advice on the matter. All that I know is that those two patents cover parts of the FAT filesystem, and thus it would give me at least some pause using it in any Open Source project. Microsoft has wielded the FAT patents in lawsuits and has gotten licensing deals out of them, so it shows that they do seem to be valid patents in the US. If you want legal advice on these two patents, I suggest contacting an actual patent attorney.

Its sad that although there are much more capable filesystems out there that because of laziness and such people still use FAT. Actually, I really can't blame it on people's laziness so much as Microsoft's laziness in supporting any other filesystems...
Ayla
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Ayla »

Why not implementing support for another filesystem then? Who cares about FAT? I believe most users do dedicate one SD card to their dreamcast, which is not used elsewhere.
Ext2 sounds reasonnable, as there already is a windows driver available.

Then we can merge the SD-card code into mainline KOS, and enhance the (currently crappy) KOS driver.
Chilly Willy
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Chilly Willy »

Keep in mind you need a filesystem that can be embedded in a program without license issues, so no GPL filesystems. That's why BSD doesn't have near as many filesystems as linux. In fact, that's probably the way to decide on a filesystem - look at what is supported in BSD and pick from those.
Ayla
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Ayla »

AFAIK filesystems are not licensed (but may have patents), their implementation are.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Ayla wrote:AFAIK filesystems are not licensed (but may have patents), their implementation are.
Correct. But how many people are really willing to go through all the trouble of reimplementing something from scratch and such things of that nature?

That said, for most people, the point of the SD card stuff is that they can read and write it both on the Dreamcast and on their computers. Without using something that's pretty much universally supported without extra software, its pointless. About the only general-purpose filesystem that fits this mold: FAT.

All of that said, I really don't particularly want to be including additional filesystems in KOS for things that the majority of users may not even have. Especially not in the base kernel. I'd much rather see the kernel of KOS get smaller, not larger (hence why I haven't made another attempt at writing a TCP module for the network stack lately). I have no issues with people maintaining the SD card stuff out of the KOS tree, and in my opinion, its probably better that way.

That said, I feel like we're getting quite off-topic at this point...
Indiket
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Indiket »

So, let's get back to the topic ;) PH3NOM, I found why it crashed (I was lucky to see it at first attempt):

Using -O3 DCMC crashes, but everything works perfectly with -O2. I'm afraid that GCC4 and KOS are not good friends of the extreme optimization :-P

I did a little test with my SD card, and it works flawlessly (I loaded some JPG files and played OGG just to make sure that everything was in order). I attach the unscrambled binary to let everyone test it.

Btw, let me ask you two little things:
- I've seen that the accents on filenames does not shown (á, é, ...). BlueCrab, do you know if KOS supports that kind of characters when listing a directory?
- I miss an exit option or button. It's not nice having to force crashing the application just to return to the dc-load screen (hehehe).

Update: One friend asked me what kind of Xvid does DCMC support. I mean, which is the max. resolution and bitrate that the DC can support before it gets out of memory.
Attachments
dcmc-gcc4-sd.zip
DCMC compiled with:
- MinGW
- GCC 4.5.2.
- KOS r. 730
- SD card support
Experimental build, use it at your risk ;)
(1.38 MiB) Downloaded 346 times
PH3NOM
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by PH3NOM »

Indiket wrote:
So, let's get back to the topic ;) PH3NOM, I found why it crashed (I was lucky to see it at first attempt):

Using -O3 DCMC crashes, but everything works perfectly with -O2. I'm afraid that GCC4 and KOS are not good friends of the extreme optimization :-P

I did a little test with my SD card, and it works flawlessly (I loaded some JPG files and played OGG just to make sure that everything was in order). I attach the unscrambled binary to let everyone test it.

Btw, let me ask you two little things:
- I've seen that the accents on filenames does not shown (á, é, ...). BlueCrab, do you know if KOS supports that kind of characters when listing a directory?
- I miss an exit option or button. It's not nice having to force crashing the application just to return to the dc-load screen (hehehe).

Update: One friend asked me what kind of Xvid does DCMC support. I mean, which is the max. resolution and bitrate that the DC can support before it gets out of memory.
Good news, I thought it sounded like a compiler issue...

And now SD card users will be happy! The formats I am curious about is XviD and FLAC from SD, if someone can make some tests I would be interested to hear the results.

About the accented filenames, I do believe the K:OS biosfont supports various text encodings.
However, dcmc is using the PVR to draw text on the screen, and the method does not support various encoding.

About exiting DCMC, just execute an unsrambled bin (dc-load) from the programs menu :wink:

XviD Decoder is still under heavy development. I have made significant progress since the beta release.
In the beta build, I was having troubles and disabled the audio decoder.
The beta build has a hard-coded limit of 1024x512 video resolution.
Bit-rate limit is subjective to other parameters like resolution and frame rate, but its absolute limit comes down to how fast the input media can supply the input stream.

I have determined the problems I was having with decoding audio+video came down to the way I was reading data from the CD; one video frame at a time.
Now, I have written a double-buffered FIFO routine running in its own thread to handle reading audio and video packets from the CD-rom ( or sd ) into relatively large buffers.
I still need to tweak it a little, but its quite fast.
The drawback, much more memory is being used, so a 1024x512 video might run out of memory.

The SH4 maxes out around 480x272p 1.5Mbps @ 23.976 fps.

Do some testing with the speed of the video decoder in the beta build to get an idea...
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Indiket wrote:- I've seen that the accents on filenames does not shown (á, é, ...). BlueCrab, do you know if KOS supports that kind of characters when listing a directory?
Well, that all depends on the encodings and whatnot. If you handle that properly, it should work fine. Note that KOS' biosfont routines expect either ISO-8859-1, Shift-JIS, or EUC-JP encoding to be fed in. You may need to convert things, depending on the filesystem in question (ISO-9660 with Joliet, for instance, stores the filenames as UCS-2 which KOS converts to UTF-8).
PH3NOM
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by PH3NOM »

Still working on the XviD video decoder, making some good progress...