Sylverant PSO Patcher v1.0 (and v1.1) Released!

This forum is for the posting of new newsposts, and it stores the site's news and comments archives. Only newsposters have access to post new news in here; if you wish to submit news, please post it in the discussion section for your particular topic. We may choose to move it here as a newspost if we find that it's worthy for the front page.
Post Reply
User avatar
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord
Posts: 5250
Joined: Mon May 27, 2002 11:31 am
Location: Sailing the Skies of Arcadia
Contact:

Sylverant PSO Patcher v1.0 (and v1.1) Released!

Post by BlueCrab » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:45 pm

I would like to announce the release of Sylverant PSO Patcher v1.0. What is this program, you may ask? It is a program that acts as a boot disc of sorts for the Dreamcast versions of PSO, and patches various aspects of them to work with private servers. It is designed to allow users to play PSO without using any sort of Codebreaker codes whether they use a BBA or dialup.

In addition to being able to being able to connect with the versions of the game that have always been supported on the various private servers, Sylverant PSO Patcher can also patch the versions of the game that were unable to get online to work as well. That means that all the versions of PSO that have been unable to connect since Sega's Hunter's License server was taken down will now be able to connect once again. Finally, Sylverant PSO Patcher can also patch in support for the maps that Sega forgot about in PSOv2 (which are still on the disc, but the main binary cannot access them).

For more information, see the news on the Sylverant site, and to download it, see the download page at the Sylverant project on Google Code.
User avatar
Neoblast
DC Developer
DC Developer
Posts: 311
Joined: Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:51 am

Re: Sylverant PSO Patcher v1.0 Released!

Post by Neoblast » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:50 pm

BlueCrab wrote:I would like to announce the release of Sylverant PSO Patcher v1.0. What is this program, you may ask? It is a program that acts as a boot disc of sorts for the Dreamcast versions of PSO, and patches various aspects of them to work with private servers. It is designed to allow users to play PSO without using any sort of Codebreaker codes whether they use a BBA or dialup.

In addition to being able to being able to connect with the versions of the game that have always been supported on the various private servers, Sylverant PSO Patcher can also patch the versions of the game that were unable to get online to work as well. That means that all the versions of PSO that have been unable to connect since Sega's Hunter's License server was taken down will now be able to connect once again. Finally, Sylverant PSO Patcher can also patch in support for the maps that Sega forgot about in PSOv2 (which are still on the disc, but the main binary cannot access them).

For more information, see the news on the Sylverant site, and to download it, see the download page at the Sylverant project on Google Code.
Wow so that was the big thing you were working on, nice...
And once again man great job, you're giving pso a third life for the dreamcast.

About those maps, are those variations of forest, ruins, etc.. ?
User avatar
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord
Posts: 5250
Joined: Mon May 27, 2002 11:31 am
Location: Sailing the Skies of Arcadia
Contact:

Re: Sylverant PSO Patcher v1.0 Released!

Post by BlueCrab » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:32 pm

The missing maps are the final maps for Cave 1, Cave 3, Mine 1, and Mine 2. They were all available in every difficulty other than Ultimate. This is why the FAMITSU MAXIMUM ATTACK quest doesn't let you get out of the guild on Ultimate.
User avatar
Maturion
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 617
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:52 pm
Location: Munich, Germany
Contact:

Re: Sylverant PSO Patcher v1.0 Released!

Post by Maturion » Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:18 pm

Does this also for work for the PSO version that previously didn't work anymore because the Hunter's license server was down? Anyway, this is great news. As always, keep up the GREAT work!

EDIT: I should better completely read news posts. :)
User avatar
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord
Posts: 5250
Joined: Mon May 27, 2002 11:31 am
Location: Sailing the Skies of Arcadia
Contact:

Re: Sylverant PSO Patcher v1.0 Released!

Post by BlueCrab » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:16 pm

Unfortunately, there seems to be a few issues with the program. I intend to investigate as soon as I have electricity at home to do so.
User avatar
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord
Posts: 5250
Joined: Mon May 27, 2002 11:31 am
Location: Sailing the Skies of Arcadia
Contact:

Re: Sylverant PSO Patcher v1.0 (and v1.1) Released!

Post by BlueCrab » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:12 am

So, to remedy the bugs with v1.0, I've released v1.1 this morning. Hopefully this version works a bit better.
User avatar
Maturion
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 617
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:52 pm
Location: Munich, Germany
Contact:

Re: Sylverant PSO Patcher v1.0 (and v1.1) Released!

Post by Maturion » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:38 am

Thanks for the fix, man!
User avatar
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord
Posts: 5250
Joined: Mon May 27, 2002 11:31 am
Location: Sailing the Skies of Arcadia
Contact:

Re: Sylverant PSO Patcher v1.0 (and v1.1) Released!

Post by BlueCrab » Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:04 pm

Maturion wrote:Thanks for the fix, man!
I screwed it up, so I should fix it right? :P
Chilly Willy
DC Developer
DC Developer
Posts: 414
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:00 am

Re: Sylverant PSO Patcher v1.0 (and v1.1) Released!

Post by Chilly Willy » Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:51 pm

BlueCrab wrote:
Maturion wrote:Thanks for the fix, man!
I screwed it up, so I should fix it right? :P
Nah! Just redefine what you were trying for. :wink: 8-)
User avatar
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster
Posts: 16068
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2001 6:00 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA
Contact:

Re: Sylverant PSO Patcher v1.0 (and v1.1) Released!

Post by |darc| » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:53 pm

This is awesome. I really need to get my DC from my parents' house...
It's thinking...
User avatar
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord
Posts: 5250
Joined: Mon May 27, 2002 11:31 am
Location: Sailing the Skies of Arcadia
Contact:

Re: Sylverant PSO Patcher v1.0 (and v1.1) Released!

Post by BlueCrab » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:40 am

|darc| wrote:This is awesome. I really need to get my DC from my parents' house...
You definitely should. More players on the server is a good thing, in general. :grin:
User avatar
kingbuzzo
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
Posts: 299
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:02 am
Location: Ottawa
Contact:

Re: Sylverant PSO Patcher v1.0 (and v1.1) Released!

Post by kingbuzzo » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:26 pm

Seems I'm a bit late to the party, but I want to thank you BlueCrab for making this patcher. It's just what was needed. Should help a lot of people and that's a very good thing.

I do have a question though. Is it possible to have an sdiso version of this patch?
Image
User avatar
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord
Posts: 5250
Joined: Mon May 27, 2002 11:31 am
Location: Sailing the Skies of Arcadia
Contact:

Re: Sylverant PSO Patcher v1.0 (and v1.1) Released!

Post by BlueCrab » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:34 am

kingbuzzo wrote:Seems I'm a bit late to the party, but I want to thank you BlueCrab for making this patcher. It's just what was needed. Should help a lot of people and that's a very good thing.

I do have a question though. Is it possible to have an sdiso version of this patch?
That depends on what you're asking. If you're asking if I will make a version that will patch the game as an ISO file on the SD card, no. I refuse to do that. This is much akin to patching the game on CD-R, another thing I will not do.

This whole patcher quite possibly overwrites data the SD card stuff needs anyway, so it might not be possible to make it work with that at all.

If you're asking if you can put this on a SD card and execute it in the normal way for SD card based homebrew, it should work fine. Everything's self-contained. I pretty much (except for final testing of it) always execute it over dcload. Granted, if there's some sort of exit back to the loader functionality in the SD card reading stuff (I've never used it, so I don't know myself), this may disable that (Just as it does for dcload).
User avatar
kingbuzzo
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
Posts: 299
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2004 2:02 am
Location: Ottawa
Contact:

Re: Sylverant PSO Patcher v1.0 (and v1.1) Released!

Post by kingbuzzo » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:15 am

BlueCrab wrote:That depends on what you're asking. If you're asking if I will make a version that will patch the game as an ISO file on the SD card, no. I refuse to do that. This is much akin to patching the game on CD-R, another thing I will not do.

This whole patcher quite possibly overwrites data the SD card stuff needs anyway, so it might not be possible to make it work with that at all.

If you're asking if you can put this on a SD card and execute it in the normal way for SD card based homebrew, it should work fine. Everything's self-contained. I pretty much (except for final testing of it) always execute it over dcload. Granted, if there's some sort of exit back to the loader functionality in the SD card reading stuff (I've never used it, so I don't know myself), this may disable that (Just as it does for dcload).
Yeah just a patch that can be luanched from sd. I'll see if I can do it myself and post back any results.
Image
User avatar
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord
Posts: 5250
Joined: Mon May 27, 2002 11:31 am
Location: Sailing the Skies of Arcadia
Contact:

Re: Sylverant PSO Patcher v1.0 (and v1.1) Released!

Post by BlueCrab » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:08 am

kingbuzzo wrote:Yeah just a patch that can be luanched from sd. I'll see if I can do it myself and post back any results.
In theory, it should "just work", but that depends on what kind of odd stuff the SD launcher does. I wouldn't expect it to be able to exit back to the SD launcher, but that would be kinda silly anyway (since it will never actually "exit" back to anything anyway). However, if the SD launcher overwrites the GD-ROM syscall pointer (which it would have to do for any sort of GD-ROM emulation), it likely won't work.

There's very few places in RAM to hide stuff so that it won't be clobbered by official games, so I suspect that the SD stuff may hide in the same place as my patcher does. If there's any way to load something and disable the GD-ROM emulation from the SD loader, it should all work fine. Otherwise, don't count on it working without being a hackjob.
Post Reply