So about Nukem Forever

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

So about Nukem Forever

Post by cube_b3 »

Surely someone here must have tried it?

What happend?

The graphics looked underwhelming since the Pax show last year, that was established but the previews were amazing then all of a sudden the same game with the same gameplay mechanics and graphics is shit?

I think critics are going way over board with remarks like it looks ancient, graphics are 5 years old seriously?
Have they not seen the trailer for Binary Domain?

So what is the consensus on our little community?
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Re: So about Nukem Forever

Post by not just souLLy now »

I'll pick it up when it's £10
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
Has thanked: 0

Post by melancholy »

I have it. It's good. It's not great, it's not terrible, it's just that middle ground that most functional shooters fall into. There's nothing revolutionary about it, but it's good at what it does. The humor is very hit or miss. Sometimes I would laugh, and sometimes I would groan at how hard it was trying to be funny. Honestly, the most surprising thing I found about it was the decent mixture of puzzles and gunfights. I was expecting a constant onslaught like Serious Sam games, but that didn't happen. It almost feels paced like Half-Life 2, which keeps me interested more than the typical FPS. The graphics are decent (as long as you play the PC version), the voice acting is decent...that's pretty much the summary of the whole game. It's a standard FPS shell with Duke put inside. And I'm okay with that, especially considering the disasterous development the game underwent.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod
Been thanked: 0

Post by mankrip »

I think the graphics are amazing, but the game is far too easy, even in the hardest mode.

And yeah, in comparison to DN3D, there's less map exploration, more content interaction, the two-weapon system sucks, the action isn't as instantaneous and the humor is far too self-referential. Sometimes the game seems to try too hard to do everything right, and this slows down the pacing.

Also, it crashes a lot.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Yeah, from what I read the 2 weapon system was the worst thing they could steel from another game.

They should've waited for Doom 4 to come out and just add personality to whatever that game did, it worked for Duke3D.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Certain critics have been overly harsh. It's not terrible, it's just very very average. Ultimately though, the "kick-ass" Duke Nukem who entertained me as a young teenager back in the late 90s seriously had his work cut out to impress me in 2011. While they could've improved the game in many areas to make it more fun, I just don't thing the whole "duke nukem thing" works for me any more.

When I hear people complaining about how low-brow and crude it is to pull shit out of a toilet and throw it at the wall in a video game, I know I'm not alone in this regard, because that seems like bog-standard Duke humour to me. I'm not quite sure what people expected of him.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

I fucking love Duke Nukem. DN3D was my first FPS ever, and my first online game ever. I had DNF pre-ordered, was totally psyched about the game, and then I played the demo. Instant pre-order cancellation.

In the game's advertisements and hype, they talk about the game staying true to its roots, but it does anything but that. It's a Halo clone with a Duke Nukem skin. It's linear. You walk forward, while turning a few corners and being surprised with the same scripted "cinematic moments" as CoD and all the other current FPS games. That might be fine for newer FPS games, but I was really hoping that this game would have had level design closer to classic FPS games, like its namesake (and, well, like advertised). It may have been just a demo, but from what I've heard, the rest of the game is linear and repetitive like the demo. It's not just a tech demo.

I'll pick it up once it's under $20.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Yeah, so far the map design has been quite linear. I'll know for sure after beating the rest of the game.

The fact that the secrets in this game aren't secret areas, but the "ego items", also doesn't help to make it less linear.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Okay so 2 legitimate complaints now.

The 2 Weapon System from Halo was not needed.
The game lacks the openness design of 3D.

Hmmm you think George Broussard might resume working on him :roll:.

Let's see we got Duke Nukem Begins in the pipe line and Duke 3D reimagined.
Duke 3D is looking pretty good and should fix the void left by Forever, I've only finished the first episode of 3D so I might finish the other 3 episodes in the remake.
ASCIIN
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by ASCIIN »

I wouldn't say the graphics are bad but the level design is very dated, everything is geometrically perfect and everything is symetrical and rather empty, basically a empty room with a few props. Its basically a game that feels and plays like one from 2006.

A huge problem is that duke is the exact same duke from d3d, you would expect in 2011 seeing with the whole balls of steel craze they would reinvent duke to have a more oringal personality while still keeping his kick ass macho signature...NOPE, majority of the game he is using old movie qoutes and majority of the times not correctly(he even qoutes 300 now -_-)

The hugest problem I have in the game is the overemphasis of tits for no reason other than the fact to be there as if all the sloppy and half assed work put into the game would be overlooked if they put a massive amount of tits in the game, its almost depressing.
<WiLdSeXyPrInCeSs> i luv guyz where would they be wifout us gals???
<XeNoX> Still in the Garden Of Eden you gullible bitch.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

apparently, um, this...

*The Cadillac of signatures*
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

The first (and only) Duke Nukem game I ever played:

Eckostyle
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by Eckostyle »

I'm going to pick up the game when it's under $40 in a few weeks, like every other game at GameStop that's released with a lukewarm reception. There's really nothing new about it, It's simply DN3D with a fresh coat of paint, which is a good thing, just not for $60.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

The first map in DN3D had a lot more of exploration, specially in the N64 version.

But yeah, DNF is still fun.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Nico0020 wrote:apparently, um, this...

It is more opinionated then really showing something terrible.

That microwave rat scene was freaking scary, and evil and I don't think i've seen that in a game before.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

cube_b3 wrote:
Nico0020 wrote:apparently, um, this...

It is more opinionated then really showing something terrible.

That microwave rat scene was freaking scary, and evil and I don't think i've seen that in a game before.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Moving on...

4 games were actually created in the name of Duke Nukem Forever.

The first one was something like the first 2 and was scrapped quite quickly.
Then they made the immediate successor which looked very similar to DN3D with better graphics and a female Duke Nukem called Bomb Shell, this one looked to be really far into development.
Then they made the one with the unreal engine:

And finally the one we have now.

It was later revealed very little off what was shown in the 2001 trailer was actually in game, unfortunately I think it was the best version.

I made Duke Nukem theme sung by Donkey and then the King riding a Donkey, now that was something.
If you look in the trailer at 1:30 you see a soldier taunting Duke, at 1:50 the very soldier appears to have turned into Dr. Evil.

It appears a Resident Evil ish theme of people turning in to monsters was taking place.

So I wanted to know from those who have played the game, how much of the 2001 build actually made it?

I know the classic Duke Bike is gone, and your certainly not going to be riding a donkey in the game but it would've been awesome if you could, a donkey just seems perfect for Duke. It meshes well with the tone of DN3D for some reason.
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

pixel wrote:The first (and only) Duke Nukem game I ever played:

Hawq would be proud!