Ripping TV DVDs

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Re: Ripping TV DVDs

Post by pixel »

not just souLLy now wrote:Bumpety bump.
If you have a Mac floating around at home check out RipIt, it will rip virtually any DVD you chuck at it (no fails for me yet), it will automatically convert to the format you want (iPhone, Apple TV, XBox 360, PS3), and it automatically knows episode numbers etc as it connects to a DVD database to check.
Can't fault it so far.
http://thelittleappfactory.com/ripit/
I've been interested in ripping all my TV DVDs since I started using XBMC. I'm ripping Squidbillies Vol. 1 right now. If it works well, I'd say it'll be worth the $25.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by DaMadFiddler »

If you have a Mac floating around at home check out RipIt, it will rip virtually any DVD you chuck at it (no fails for me yet), it will automatically convert to the format you want (iPhone, Apple TV, XBox 360, PS3), and it automatically knows episode numbers etc as it connects to a DVD database to check.
Can't fault it so far.
Thank you! That sounds *EXACTLY* like what I need!
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype »

Thats awesome. I didn't realize it did all that. I got my dad a copy for christmas (the developer posted on the apple subreddit giving out free codes so why not?). I should of realized it was doing something since he wasn't calling me about how to do certain things.
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Damn, no windows version. I'd love to do this and get rid of all my DVDs, since they take up a ton of space.
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I started to do this with handbrake (windows version) yesterday. It looks great, but for some reason the chapter # from the dvd is burned into the video at the bottom. Anyone know how to turn this off, can't seem to figure it out?

Edit: For some reason it created a subtitle track that just shows chapter 1 then entire time, and I can only disable it in vobsub. Weird.
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Hm, that is pretty weird. Just out of pure curiosity what settings are you using for your handbreak encodes? Also, what systems are you wanting to play them on? IIRC, I kind of remember reading about somebody having your problem and it was either with the mp4 container or a weird setting on the program used to play the video.
DYTDMFBSB?
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I just used the Normal preset. I'm making mp4's files for playback on my PS3, and was testing them on MPC Home Cinema. Going to redo the encode since it was sort of dark. Any suggestions for quality settings? avg vs constant for action shows (encoding Firefly now).
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Thomas wrote:I just used the Normal preset. I'm making mp4's files for playback on my PS3, and was testing them on MPC Home Cinema. Going to redo the encode since it was sort of dark. Any suggestions for quality settings? avg vs constant for action shows (encoding Firefly now).
What are your interoperability concerns? Do you only want them for the PS3, or do you want to be able to kick the files around to other devices?

Personally, I have three places I want my files to work: my MacBook Pro, my PS3, and my iPod Touch. Since the Touch has the strictest limitations of the three, I simply make sure to encode everything in a format it can play back.

If you are looking at multiple devices, you may want to do some testing with a small, quickly-transcodable file. Then just tune your settings around whichever device has the most stringent requirements. For example, I know that some cheaper devices tend to choke on VBR files, and lots of devices can't handle more than a stereo mix. That would be the best way to go about it: identify all the devices you want your files to work on, find out which one is the most limited, and encode for that.
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

DaMadFiddler wrote:
Can't fault it so far.
Thank you! That sounds *EXACTLY* like what I need!
I must be retarded, but how do I make this app recognize my Simpsons DVDs for infinite viewing pleasure?
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

PS3 and PC are the only things I need to encode them for.
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Well, that makes things pretty simple for you. You can just use the appletv2 preset and any of those files will play on your ps3. I think it will auto do it to constant quality, but I always do my encodes around an RF of 19.25. IIRC, for your ps3 you will need to keep the mp4 container and make sure no subtitle tracks are included. You can also keep full resolution (I don't see why you wouldn't unless space is an issue). With the settings I use (ac3 pass through audio) a rip I did of a White Stripes DVD came out to 1.8GB. You'd prob get around 1.5 or so since you'll need to do aac audio for the ps3. You can always adjust it a bit lower if you are concerned about filesize, but I find RF 19.25 gives me transparency.
DYTDMFBSB?
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I'll give that settings a shot, thanks zero!
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Went with AppleTV2 preset, average bitrate of 2000 w/ 2 pass encoding. Looks good, but I still get the chapter subtitle in Windows, but it's fine on the ps3 itself. Weird.
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

What are you using for playback? It could just be an option you have ticked in your player.
DYTDMFBSB?
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Windows guys, what do you use to decrypt newer DVDs? I've been using DVD Decrypter for all my stuff still, but it does not work with some of my newer DVDs copy protection.
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

I used to use http://www.videohelp.com/tools/RipIt4Me which is a front-end for DVD Decryptor but oddly it seems to have better luck on some disks for me than DVD Decryptor alone
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I'll give it a go, thanks soully!