Why has no one ever changed the Menu?

A forum for news and discussion about Beats of Rage and its modification.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Why has no one ever changed the Menu?

Post by cube_b3 »

The Beats of Rage Engine has come along way since it was released in 2003, however of all the changes made to the engine the Game Menu and the in-game menu have been untouched?

Why is that, it also needs to be updated, perhaps more so than anything else.

p.s. The forum name should be changed cause Age of the Beast will no longer be freeware.
Christuserloeser
Been thanked: 0

Re: Why has no one ever changed the Menu?

Post by Christuserloeser »

I agree that the forum's name should be changed to reflect that AotB isn't planned as freeware any longer.

Regarding the menu: I made several suggestions on how to improve the menu myself but I don't think they were taken too serious (or perhaps the coders didn't have time or inspiration to do it).

Even the original Beats of Rage already offered ways to change the font, but there's still nothing that would allow the modders to customize the options available to the user, or create custom options, change their x/y positions, alignment, etc.

Maybe this should be posted at http://www.lavalit.com so it reaches the proper channels.
Insane homebrew collector.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Yeah will do, when (if ever) I register their.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Christuserloeser wrote:I agree that the forum's name should be changed to reflect that AotB isn't planned as freeware any longer.
Done.
Plombo
DC Developer
DC Developer
Has thanked: 0

Post by Plombo »

cube_b3 wrote:The Beats of Rage Engine has come along way since it was released in 2003, however of all the changes made to the engine the Game Menu and the in-game menu have been untouched?

Why is that, it also needs to be updated, perhaps more so than anything else.
They certainly have not been untouched. Compare the menus in Beats of Rage with the menus in a recent OpenBOR version, and you will see several differences - the text is aligned differently, but OpenBOR is also far more configurable.

But with that said, I do know what you mean...
Christuserloeser wrote:Regarding the menu: I made several suggestions on how to improve the menu myself but I don't think they were taken too serious (or perhaps the coders didn't have time or inspiration to do it).

Even the original Beats of Rage already offered ways to change the font, but there's still nothing that would allow the modders to customize the options available to the user, or create custom options, change their x/y positions, alignment, etc.
I agree that the menu system should be configurable by modders in the ways you mentioned. But trying to determine the details of how it would work opens a whole new can of worms.

The problem basically stems from the fact that the engine will still need control of most of the menu, and we (developers) still need the ability to change the menu options slightly for existing mods - any and all menu improvements since Beats of Rage have depended on this ability.

I have some more to say on this, but my brain is dead right now so I'll finish writing my thoughts on this soon.
Christuserloeser wrote:Maybe this should be posted at http://www.lavalit.com so it reaches the proper channels.
It should have, but I guess it did reach the "proper channels" eventually. Just a few months late. :wink:
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Nice to see you around, Plombo. Welcome to DCEmulation! :)

This very forum (next to the long gone original Senile Team forum) was the birthplace of the earliest BoR mods and up until (and even after) there were dedicated sites like Mods of Rage, Gamikaze, BoR Revolution and now Lavalit, this place was buzzing with BoR discussion for quite a while.
Insane homebrew collector.