Very beneficial idea if it comes True

This is a forum for discussing the feasibility of getting emulators, games, or other applications that have had their source released ported to the Dreamcast. Please read the Porting FAQ before starting a topic in this forum!
metropi
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Very beneficial idea if it comes True

Post by metropi »

Ok ive been looking around for like ever to get a coders cable, but by the time i i found one i found my dreamcast's serial port was realy messed up(un-usable). so ive been thinking about how to a program such as Dc-load for the bba to work with the Modem.

Heres how i think of it:

Step one: Create or port or include this modem driver in a program like dc-load. http://www.mediafire.com/?3jzkyn3ogzq

Step two: Make new dc-load type program connect to the pc via DC-PC modem connection, then once its authenticated the connection it will wait for a program to be uploaded to it via a pc program that acts like a dialup server.

Step three: With the new dc-load type program some features to program into it should be some of the following...
1. display the ip address of the dreamcast.
2. execute the uploaded / downloaded program after its completely finished.
3. the program will upload into ram the same way dc-load ip does.

The pc side program should have options to change the connecting ip and all that jazz.

Basically you catch my drift, the dreamcast dev community would prosper with this tool and so would i.
The reason why i cant do it is cuz my programming knowledge is not up to standards for such a project.

Thats why im here to get some help with this.

Thanks, Warren :)
Attachments
dcmodem11.zip
Dreamcast Modem Driver

Original page:
http://www.boob.co.uk/devtools.html
(18.71 KiB) Downloaded 118 times
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Re: Very beneficial idea if it comes True

Post by Ex-Cyber »

I thought that still required extra hardware to convince the modem that it was connected to an actual phone line (or use of a couple of actual phone lines). I don't remember what it's called, but it basically injects the usual DC voltage that phones use for power.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Ex-Cyber wrote:I thought that still required extra hardware to convince the modem that it was connected to an actual phone line (or use of a couple of actual phone lines). I don't remember what it's called, but it basically injects the usual DC voltage that phones use for power.
There are at least two different modem revisions 'A' and 'B'. One requires that (the 'extra hardware' though is basically just a standard battery added on the line iirc) and the other doesn't. I don't recall which is which at the moment though.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

only some modems require a line voltage simulator, there used to be a topic about it at onlineconsoles but i couldn't find it. Though they do show you how to build one here: http://dreamcast.onlineconsoles.com/php ... n98.php#10
*The Cadillac of signatures*
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

The DC-PC connection requires a voice modem.