Need a version of Hacx that works on dreamcast.

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Need a version of Hacx that works on dreamcast.

Post by law56ker »

Hello, i made a huge collection of doom wad packs for dreamcast and I have a problem. For some reason my version of Hacx.wad doesn't load under nxdoom on the dreamcast. Does anyone have a working version?
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
Been thanked: 0

Re: Need a version of Hacx that works on dreamcast.

Post by Stryfe »

I actually noticed this from a few months back.

The official Hacx site download page has one. Get the "Files Only Package", unless you want the installer for some reason.

Just to let you know, you can pre-test BA's 'nxDoom', or CW's 'Doom for Dreamcast', in NullDC beforehand. 90-95% of the WADs I tested in NullDC that had errors, had errors when loaded in an actual Dreamcast.

NullDC's command window will even give you the Doom port's console output, just like a PC port does. I was able to indentify multiple reasons certain wads wouldn't work, like - flats, maps, or textures missing, textures/maps being too large for the port, missing lumps (f_start for example), etc...
ImageImageImageImage
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

I did try downloading it from the official website, that version didn't work. I forgot the errors it gave me. I think blackaura or another member of this site had a working copy.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

I definitely had a working version. I know BA compiled one that worked with a dedicated variant of [an earlier version of] nxDoom. But I also remember that I had one that worked with the standard v2.2b of nxDoom...
Insane homebrew collector.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

I can vaguely remember getting it to work, but I can't remember exactly how I did it. I also can't seem to find the version I released anywhere.

As far as I remember, I used the Hacx WAD file from the website, and loaded that as an IWAD. I may have filled in some of the missing pieces from FreeDoom. I think I also had to fiddle with the DeHacked patch a little bit.
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

it's got to be on somebody's hardrive or a cd of nxdoom.
DCDayDreamer
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DCDayDreamer »

law56ker wrote:it's got to be on somebody's hardrive or a cd of nxdoom.
Try this:

Hacx-DC 0.1 by BlackAura 9.3 MB

Not sure if there was another version released, but check out the readme file within the package for the info on this version.
Across the Universe
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

As a test, I put together a CDI, using Freedoom as the base.

This image has Freedoom, the Hacx files only package (from the official site), a XM wad converted by myself, and even the Sam Woodman demos all put together and ready-to-burn.

NxDoom "Hacx" DiscJuggler Image

I haven't had any crashes yet, but maybe there's something I'm missing.
ImageImageImageImage
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

DCdaydreamer, Strange, I tried loading hacx, in the last nxdoom release and again it freezes up the dreamcast half way through loading. I'm sure i have everything correct in the modlist.txt. I wonder if hacx only works in an older release of nxdoom. It loads fine in nxdoom for windows. I gotta figure out what the problem is, because the Hacx mod is awesome. I swear I remember playing Hacx thorugh NXdoom on the dreamcast. Maybe it was just the Nxdoom Hacx only release by blackaura that had been modified. I want it to load together with the hunderds of other mods I got in my collection.
DCDayDreamer
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DCDayDreamer »

Stryfe wrote:As a test, I put together a CDI, using Freedoom as the base.

This image has Freedoom, the Hacx files only package (from the official site), a XM wad converted by myself, and even the Sam Woodman demos all put together and ready-to-burn.

That's great!, thanks. Are you using an emulator or a real DC?, I'll gladly burn and test it on the real hardware for you if you need some feedback.
law56ker wrote:I swear I remember playing Hacx thorugh NXdoom on the dreamcast. Maybe it was just the Nxdoom Hacx only release by blackaura that had been modified.
If you want a standalone CD of Hacx forget about the binary files within the package I put up - they do not work. If you search 'hacx' within the forum it will bring up some old posts by BlackAura, there's a mistake somewhere with that release, I'm not sure if BlackAura ever put up a fixed version. As for the hacx.wad file within the package, I do not know if that works 'as is' with nxDoom, I remember fixing some parts within a hacx.wad many years ago to make a standalone CD of Hacx, it might have been that particular wad that was used as the base.
Across the Universe
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

From the look of it, that .rar DCDayDreamer posted contains a modified Hacx IWAD file, and a modified version of nxDoom.

It seems to have the Dehacked patch embedded in the WAD file (with the lump name of DEHACKED). I don't recall if nxDoom itself had the ability to load Dehacked patches from a WAD file, but I believe it did. Otherwise, it looks like the Hacx PWAD file converted to an IWAD file, with some missing bits replaced with their Freedoom equivalents. No other changes, as far as I can see.

Hmm... This is stirring up some memories. I thing the Hacx IWAD in that archive would work correctly on Doom Legacy, at least, as a replacement Doom 2 IWAD.

As for the nxDoom binary included in that package... No idea. I think I just changed the level list, so the game doesn't crash when you finish the last level. The easiest way to find out would be to try the Hacx IWAD in standard nxDoom, and see what happens.

Edit: Apparently, that version was broken somehow. I'm not sure if it was the binary, or the WAD file. It looks like I thought it was the binary...
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

DCDayDreamer wrote:
Stryfe wrote:As a test, I put together a CDI, using Freedoom as the base.

That's great!, thanks. Are you using an emulator or a real DC?, I'll gladly burn and test it on the real hardware for you if you need some feedback.
law56ker wrote:I swear I remember playing Hacx thorugh NXdoom on the dreamcast. Maybe it was just the Nxdoom Hacx only release by blackaura that had been modified.
If you want a standalone CD of Hacx forget about the binary files within the package I put up - they do not work. If you search 'hacx' within the forum it will bring up some old posts by BlackAura, there's a mistake somewhere with that release, I'm not sure if BlackAura ever put up a fixed version. As for the hacx.wad file within the package, I do not know if that works 'as is' with nxDoom, I remember fixing some parts within a hacx.wad many years ago to make a standalone CD of Hacx, it might have been that particular wad that was used as the base.

I'm almost certain at one time i was playing hacx on the dreamcast through nxdoom. Unfortunately the version that may have worked got thrown out when I made a bigger collection cd. My memory maybe wrong though. I don't think you can have a complete doom mod collection without including Hacx. That's why I want to figure out what the problem is. If hacx loads in the windows version of nxdoom, but not the dreamcast, what could be the problem. Here's my line to load Hacx, in nxdoom dreamcast, so i don't know what the problem is, maybe memory?
Hacx,doom2.wad,-file HACX.WAD HACX.DEH -savename Hacx,Hacx
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

While testing out Law56ker's collection a few months back with Freedoom, I noticed that Hacx wasn't working, so I replaced the Hacx WAD. It seemed to run just fine, but I didn't go through the game looking for everything mind you...

Only thing different with the image I just linked to is that I added the Sam Woodman help demos, which were popular back in the day.

When I made my last post, I had thought that Law56ker had already found a working WAD, so I'm sorry if I confused anyone.

Here's a possibility:
If I'm correct that it works with the latest Freedoom free-of-bugs, all you have to do is merge the Hacx wad into the Freedoom wad. just include the Freedoom redistributable text with your collection.

Actually while your at it Law56ker, you could just include the Freedoom wad (renamed to avoid auto detection) separately, and not merge it. It then could be used for some of the other wads on the disc like Hacx, Batman Doom, Aliens TC (looks better than with Doom II), etc...

All you have to do is eliminate some of the excess like say... the Memento Mori music wad (mmmus.wad), and the Requiem music wad (reqmus.wad) which weren't being used anyways.
ImageImageImageImage
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

I extracted the files from Stryfe's hacx disc and that version works both with freedoom and without....good. Did anyone find other mods that didn't work in my collection, or suggestions of some cool mods i missed? I knew sequel to chex quest came out.