Smileys review of new super mario bros wii...

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Smileys review of new super mario bros wii...

Post by Smiley »

so, Ive been playing this game for the past few weeks, and while I love the nostalgic mario gameplay with polished next gen graphics, I had mixed feelings about the game. First, most reviews said the game added some much needed difficult to the gameplay, I breezed through most of the game with ease. I found most of the bosses laughably easy, and some of the levels too damn short. Im sure there is def repla value in the 4 player mode,but I tried playing with my brother and the novelty wore off within a few minutes. Overall, I believe the game incorporates a lot of the best aspects of a lot of the older mario games, and Ill surely be laying through again to unlock stuff, but I feel it doesnt really add anything to the classic mario gameplay with the exception of the 4player opton. And for retro reasons, I did enjoy fghting the koopa kids twice each level.
Yonke
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Re: Smileys review of new super mario bros wii...

Post by Yonke »

but I feel it doesnt really add anything to the classic mario gameplay with the exception of the 4player option
loved the game...im the kind of people that think doesnt need to fix it if isnt brocken
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

I dunno, I've still not been able to get about 5 or so coins around the regular map and a lot in the 9th world. Just like with Galaxy or 64 or such, going through the whole thing shouldn't be too tough, but what is is getting all the hidden bits.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Quzar wrote:I dunno, I've still not been able to get about 5 or so coins around the regular map and a lot in the 9th world. Just like with Galaxy or 64 or such, going through the whole thing shouldn't be too tough, but what is is getting all the hidden bits.
Yeah, I pretty much stopped Galaxy after beating the main story line and getting Luigi. I still have several quests to be completed. I did once get all the stars in Mario 64, though... and I unlocked all the levels in Super Mario World. I think that's about the extent of it.

I really should go back to Galaxy; I've only played through it once, and it was quite good. As for Mario 64, it's too bad there isn't a way to get the extra content from the DS version into the N64/Virtual Console edition.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Galaxy is easily my favourite Mario game. I love everything about it. Getting every star is a really fun challenge I can play through again and again. It's worth noting that I never actually played a Mario game until 64, so I have zero nostalagia for the older games.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

BoneyCork wrote:It's worth noting that I never actually played a Mario game until 64
:o :o :o
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

DaMadFiddler wrote:
BoneyCork wrote:It's worth noting that I never actually played a Mario game until 64
:o :o :o
Commodore 64 > Master System > Mega Drive(Genesis) > Playstation was my childhood console history before I got a Nintendo 64. I can't recall any of my friends back then owning Nintendo systems either. I'm European. Sonic ruled supreme for the first half of the 90s. Considering how young I was I just thought Mario sucked. Everyone was lame if they weren't playing Sonic. I doubt my exprerience is that unusual.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

I'm European. Sonic ruled supreme for the first half of the 90s.
Yeah, in Europe it's definitely not that unusual. Nintendo never had the domination they once had over here in Europe. As one measure of comparison, to date I've never known anyone IRL who owned a Master System in its original lifespan.
First, most reviews said the game added some much needed difficult to the gameplay, I breezed through most of the game with ease.
Compare it to Super Mario World (discounting Star Road) and Super Mario Bros 3, or the DS New Super Mario Bros. It's definitely harder than all of them. The only harder 2D Mario is the Japanese Super Mario Bros 2.

I'd also say level length is similar to Mario World. Though the levels often don't feel quite as open.

I'd agree it doesn't really add much as far as gameplay mechanics goes - there's a little bit new with tilting mechanics and controlling platforms, and a few interesting bits in the castles, but little else.. But the level designs were frequently top notch, and I thought the game was a lot of fun. I'm not quite sure if it was really worth the $50, but it's a very good game.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Lartrak wrote:Yeah, in Europe it's definitely not that unusual. Nintendo never had the domination they once had over here in Europe. As one measure of comparison, to date I've never known anyone IRL who owned a Master System in its original lifespan.
As another piece of meaningless anecdotal evidence, I had an SMS, knew maybe five or six other people who had an SMS, and only one person who owned a NES.

Come to think of it... At the time the SNES was still current, I only knew of one other person who actually owned one, but I remember probably a dozen people who had a Mega Drive when that was still current.
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

Thing is of course, if I could do it all over again I would've gone Nintendo - especially for the RPGs. But back then I made 90% of my gaming decisions based on the box-art at Toys R Us so it's very unlikely I would've ended up with anything that decent anyway.
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

I'm loving SMB Wii so far, but there are a couple big drawbacks that keep it from being perfect. (I've only played the first couple worlds so I may be wrong about the first one)

First, I wish they brought back more of the old power-ups. Sure, new suits are always awesome but why always retire them by the time the next game rolls around? Personally I'd like to revisit the Tanooki, Feather/Cape, P-Wing, Rabbit Ears, Frogsuit, etc. In this way i think the multiplayer design focus created hindrances (having to keep everyone contained on the screen rather than explore freely).

Second, it looks jaggy on my HDTV. This isn't a bash of the Wii for not being HD (although such bashing is totally valid); I've had no such problems with Galaxy or any of the many other Wii games I own. What I'm pointing out is that it certainly doesn't look like progressive scan. It totally looks interlaced; there are always horizontal scanlines visible which break up the picture.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

impetus wrote:First, I wish they brought back more of the old power-ups. Sure, new suits are always awesome but why always retire them by the time the next game rolls around? Personally I'd like to revisit the Tanooki, Feather/Cape, P-Wing, Rabbit Ears, Frogsuit, etc. In this way i think the multiplayer design focus created hindrances (having to keep everyone contained on the screen rather than explore freely).
Amen to that. Tanooki suit!
impetus wrote:Second, it looks jaggy on my HDTV. This isn't a bash of the Wii for not being HD (although such bashing is totally valid); I've had no such problems with Galaxy or any of the many other Wii games I own. What I'm pointing out is that it certainly doesn't look like progressive scan. It totally looks interlaced; there are always horizontal scanlines visible which break up the picture.
Hmm... this is one of the reasons I love my RPTV. While interlaced content obviously doesn't look as good as progressive scan, it still doesn't look terrible. RPTVs are the only HDTVs that don't make a 480i source look like complete garbage.
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

That's crazy. I had no idea about Nintendo not having complete dominance in Europe in the 80s and 90s. I seriously can't remember a house I had ever been in at that time that didn't contain a NES. Most people here have never even heard of the Master System, and the Genesis is simply referred to as "SEGA" because it's the only SEGA console anyone really bought ("Remember Sonic on SEGA? That shit was awesome").

As for Mario, I haven't played Galaxy because I don't own a Wii, and the extent of my playtime on friends' Wiis is Wii Sports. Aside from that, I think Sunshine was the most charming and fun as an adult, but I definitely played 3 and 64 the most out of them all.
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe