Comic Book Reader

This is a forum for discussing the feasibility of getting emulators, games, or other applications that have had their source released ported to the Dreamcast. Please read the Porting FAQ before starting a topic in this forum!
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Comic Book Reader

Post by Stryfe »

Would it be possible/simple to port a comic book archive reader to the Dreamcast?

Comic Book Archive files mainly consist of a series of image files, typically PNG (lossless compression) or JPEG (lossy compression) files, compressed using one of several popular methods. The file extension indicates the archive format used:
.cbr → RAR
.cbz → ZIP
One open source code I know of is the CDisplay offshoot, "CDisplayEx": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CDisplayEx
ImageImageImageImage
DCDayDreamer
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Re: Comic Book Reader

Post by DCDayDreamer »

I've always used Comical for comic books, it's great as a standalone app with CBR/CBZ archives on portable media.
Across the Universe
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

There are two problems I can think of.
1) Solid compression things like rar or 7z would be difficult because their nature typically requires you to extract everything at once. This is fine for a save file or a rom for an emulator, but not for 100 pics or so. cbz would be fine though, as with zip you can extract individual files.
2) I've not tried much with the DC in the way of picture slideshow and comics, but it would seem to me that 640x480 would be too low to be able to read the images.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
DCDayDreamer
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by DCDayDreamer »

Quzar wrote:it would seem to me that 640x480 would be too low to be able to read the images.
It is, the picture art is fine but the text (or speech bubble) is problematic, you'd need to zoom-in to each page to read the text displayed. Although it doesn't have all the features of Slideshow, I've found DCViewer to be the best comic reader on the Dreamcast, you do need to have the CBR/CBZ archive extracted into it's own directory though.
Across the Universe
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

I take it then that this was infeasible, or would just be too time consuming?

Would zip/rar extraction along with jpeg rendering be possible within the limits of the DC's RAM?
ImageImageImageImage
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

Stryfe wrote:I take it then that this was infeasible, or would just be too time consuming?

Would zip/rar extraction along with jpeg rendering be possible within the limits of the DC's RAM?
ZIP is reasonable, at least in principle. RAR is just a pain in the ass to deal with. The only reason anyone supports it is that RARLab provides a .DLL for decompressing it, and that's useless on Dreamcast. There's also source code, but it's packaged as a standalone utility (not a library) for Unix-like systems and is distributed under an obnoxious license. Even leaving that aside, RAR is a dictionary-based format that supports solid archives, which is not the best recipe for a RAM-limited platform with no standard mass storage.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

From what I remember, DC Slideshow already does what you'd expect from a comic book viewer: http://www.dcevolution.net/index.php?id=slideshow

Decompress your CBR/CBZ files into a directory, convert to JPG if necessary and burn your CD.
Insane homebrew collector.
Anthony817
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Anthony817 »

Yeah, and me and a friend have already gotten the first issue of the US ODCM scanned and available on a CDI for you to read on your Dreamcast and TV. Such a great program too. There are 13 US ODCM mags that were made, and we have issue "0" released first, the other 12 magazines will get added when they are scanned.

http://www.dcisozone.com/downloads/2080 ... or-DC.html

Please leave comments.
RyoDC
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by RyoDC »

I think if Dreamcast (i mean, KOS) have such type of libraries and sets of standarts functions, for example, reading or opening an 7z or zip files and\or read jpeg images i think there's no real problem. that's just needs work to do.
How do I try to build a Dreamcast toolchain:
PH3NOM
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by PH3NOM »

RyoDC wrote:I think if Dreamcast (i mean, KOS) have such type of libraries and sets of standarts functions, for example, reading or opening an 7z or zip files and\or read jpeg images i think there's no real problem. that's just needs work to do.
The main problem, that Quzar pointed out, is that solid archives are a big problem for a system with 16mb main ram.

I dont think the current port of 7z would work for anything useful. You could try to compile the latest c++ version of the lib7z...
RyoDC
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by RyoDC »

Yeah, I've pointed that too.
But we can write the bigger, not needed to work part of this decompressed archive to the dev\null, can we? Then decompress it again and take the next part that we need to work too, throwing away all another. Maybe that's not a solution but maybe it is.
I don't believe that there's no suitable ways to arrange this situation (instead of increasing the RAM size, of course).
How do I try to build a Dreamcast toolchain: