Doom for Dreamcast v1.1.4

This forum is for the posting of new newsposts, and it stores the site's news and comments archives. Only newsposters have access to post new news in here; if you wish to submit news, please post it in the discussion section for your particular topic. We may choose to move it here as a newspost if we find that it's worthy for the front page.
Chilly Willy
DC Developer
DC Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Doom for Dreamcast v1.1.4

Post by Chilly Willy »

Here's my own port of Doom for the Dreamcast. This version is based on Doom for the PSP (also made by yours truly) which was in turn based on ADoomPPC for the Amiga which I worked on long ago. I mainly did this as a learning exercise - I just got my DC less than a month ago and decided to try out the homebrew tools.

This version of Doom has a GUI front-end that allows you to set most of the options before you start Doom. You can set most of the game options, the screen resolution (supports PAL, NTSC, and VGA, all in low or high resolution), select the IWAD, and you can select up to four patch WAD and DEH files. DOOM PWADs, not BOOM PWADs. BOOM files may or may not work... think of this like Chocolate Doom.

LibWildMIDI is used for the music, and a decent set of small GM instruments are included (only 4 MB total size as opposed to 10 to 30 most sets are). The source is included. Remember that SBI files are just zip archives - to read the readme file or look at the source, just use WinZip or something to extract the files from the archive. Reading the readme is suggested as there are a LOT of game settings, plus the controls are rather extensive. This version of Doom supports a mouse and keyboard, but there are a few issues with them (mouse is backwards, and some keys don't work). The mouse and keyboard issues have already been fixed and will be in the 1.1.5 release once I get around to that. It's not out yet because I've been trying to add JumpPack support as well.

DCDoom-SW-CW-1.1.4.sbi
Christuserloeser
Been thanked: 0

Re: Doom for Dreamcast v1.1.4

Post by Christuserloeser »

Insane homebrew collector.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

nice release. Doom ports were one of my favorite things in the dreamcast scene. Is this the one that I read about that shows your health n such on the VMU screen?
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Chilly Willy
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Chilly Willy »

Nico0020 wrote:nice release. Doom ports were one of my favorite things in the dreamcast scene. Is this the one that I read about that shows your health n such on the VMU screen?
Yes. It shows the Ammo, Health, and Armor so that you can play the game without the HUD.
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

Cool, and where could one find (legal) Doom WADs that work with this?
ImageImageImageImage
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

You mean the original Doom WADs, or something else?

You can get the original Doom WADs from id's website, although they're kind of expensive. You can also get them from Steam, with somewhat more reasonable prices. In the case of the Steam version, you get the original DOS Doom files, and a preconfigured copy of DosBox to run them. I believe that id's downloadable versions are just the original DOS Doom files.

From either of those, you can just copy the WAD files out, and use them in this.

You can also use the shareware version of Doom 1. You can get the WAD file for it from Doomworld. That gives you the first episode of Doom 1, but you almost certainly wouldn't be able to play any other WADs with this.

HacX, which was a commercial Doom-based game, later released for free on the 'net. I can't speak for this port, but this worked pretty well with nxDoom back in the day.

There's also Chex Quest, which was a promotional game based on Doom 1. Both Chex Quest and the add-on (Chex Quest 2) should be available online somewhere, and they both work on any Doom engine, without an original Doom WAD file.

In order to play any other Doom WAD file, you need a copy of the original game data. The full versions, not the shareware version.

However, you could also use FreeDoom. It provides a complete set of replacement assets, but it's levels are only compatible with Doom engines that support Boom extensions (in other words, not this one). That means you won't be able to play FreeDoom's levels, but you can use it as a base to load and run almost any Doom 1 or Doom 2 add-on, including stand-alone maps, map packs, or total conversions. Anything using graphics or sounds from Doom will use the FreeDoom ones instead - it'll work, but they won't be quite the same.

Some of the more popular TCs for Doom:

http://www.chocolate-doom.org/wiki/inde ... tegory:TCs

Otherwise, there are tons more Doom modifications out there.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

FreeDoom sure did a quantum leap since I checked last time... :o

- regarding mods: law56ker's nxDoom collection is a nice source for Doom mods...
Insane homebrew collector.