Yeti3D demo with PVR rendering.

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Yeti3D demo with PVR rendering.

Post by OneThirty8 »

I've been working on a PVR-accelerated port of Yeti3D. The only download I have is the demo by Derek J. Evans, and it still has some glitches but I thought I'd share. It's based loosely on the OpenGL example that was in the source archive I downloaded way back when, plus I also took the time to figure out a decent way to render the sprites. Check it out if you're bored. It's the same example that Vortexx ported circa 2004, only rendered differently.

http://code.google.com/p/yeti3d-pvr/dow ... z&can=2&q=
BB Hood
DC Developer
DC Developer

Re: Yeti3D demo with PVR rendering.

Post by BB Hood »

First time I ever played Yeti3D. Nice job OneThirty8.
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

BB Hood wrote:First time I ever played Yeti3D. Nice job OneThirty8.
Thanks! :-)
Guaripolo
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Guaripolo »

i've tested it and looks very good! it's smooth like velvet my friend aWHeAUWehAUheAH. Very good work!

PD: ron has also made an SDL port of yeti3d about a year ago.
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

Guaripolo wrote:i've tested it and looks very good! it's smooth like velvet my friend aWHeAUWehAUheAH. Very good work!

PD: ron has also made an SDL port of yeti3d about a year ago.
I could have sworn that I replied to your post last night...

Thanks for the positive feedback. I did see a YouTube video of Ron's port last week when I was googling Yeti3D. I couldn't find any source code or binaries, but the newspost I saw about it indicated that it's based on my SDL port for Windows and Mac (which also ran on the Dreamcast, but slowly). I made mention of his port on my Wiki and posted his video there as well.
Maturion

Post by Maturion »

Great job, 1-30-8!
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

Probably of interest mainly to developers, if there are any interested in using Yeti3D...

I'm working now on getting md2 models working properly now, based on the code that Derek J. Evans provided. I have to write PVR rendering code and make the loading of everything a bit prettier, but the SDL version works on my Linux system. There's example code in SVN that will load the model and uses SDL_image to load the skin. As soon as I have it working on the Dreamcast (with the PVR--the SDL code should probably work on DC), I'll put up a new download.
OVERRiDE_DC
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by OVERRiDE_DC »

OneThirty8 wrote:Probably of interest mainly to developers, if there are any interested in using Yeti3D...

I'm working now on getting md2 models working properly now, based on the code that Derek J. Evans provided. I have to write PVR rendering code and make the loading of everything a bit prettier, but the SDL version works on my Linux system. There's example code in SVN that will load the model and uses SDL_image to load the skin. As soon as I have it working on the Dreamcast (with the PVR--the SDL code should probably work on DC), I'll put up a new download.
Being a part of CSDC Dev Team, I am familiar with 3d engines.

When I looked at this the other day, I thought to myself "God, those sprites-based characters look like sh!t, MD2 models would be a huge improvement."
I almost made a post requesting MD2 support, but here youve beat me to it.
(HL .mdl format would be the ultimate, BTW)

This encourages me to get my hands on some Yeti3D mapping tools, to see what this engine is capable of!

Can anyone reccomend a good site for Yeti3D mapping?
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

I don't know of any sites dedicated to Yeti3D. It's a very easy engine to work with, but I don't think it has been used much. I have a very old and crappy tools package on my site at http://www.storm-studios.net/onethirty8/YetiStuff.html that includes a map editor. The tools I wrote are kind of embarrassing now, but the map editor is the one that came with the GP32 port and should work great. It will let you import your own texture and palette file. I haven't looked at the Yeti-related tools on my site in about 4 or 5 years, but I believe there are tools to convert Windows bitmap files (and maybe a couple of other formats) into Yeti palette and texture files in the zip file on my Yeti3D page.

Also, the sprites in the Yeti demo were made with the GBA in mind. It's entirely possible to use better-looking sprites with the engine. The fireball sprite that is used for bullets in the demo, for example, is a 128x128 image and actually looks pretty good compared to the angry Smurfs or whatever those things are, which are something like 23x31.
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

I uploaded a new version of the demo level with md2 models in place of the sprites. It looks like there's a bug or two that I need to hunt down, but I wanted to post something for people who can't download the source from SVN and compile it. http://yeti3d-pvr.googlecode.com
hilltopper06
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by hilltopper06 »

Any update on this? Are the bugs ironed out? Thanks for all the hard work.
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

I just moved into a new place, and I haven't had a chance to unpack my Dreamcast or set up the computer that I have my development tools on. I think that the last changes in the SVN repository work pretty well if you want to use it to create a game or something.
hilltopper06
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by hilltopper06 »

Thanks for the response, I will check it out.
Basil
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Basil »

Hi OneThirty8, can you add sounds and music to dreamcast port? the rest works good, I'd like to do some mapping because it seems to be easy.
Basil
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Basil »

Sorry for double post, you can merge my both msgs. I found new editor version here http://sourceforge.net/projects/yeti3dpro/files/ it have custom textures and bunch of maps, some of it are very cool.
But it's incompatible with dreamcast pvr port ... that's the problem.
There is also new Yeti3D version...
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

When I did my port, I used the most recent version of Yeti3D that I could get. I had seen the Pro version demos but it wasn't open source at the time. That's why those maps aren't compatible with my Dreamcast port.

As for adding sound and music, that wasn't really the purpose of the demo.
Basil
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Basil »

When I did my port, I used the most recent version of Yeti3D that I could get.
Yes, it was released recently:
http://www.gp32x.com/board/index.php?/t ... ntry919443
That's why those maps aren't compatible with my Dreamcast port.
Are you going to make it work? I have several suggestions too. In short are you still interested in working on the engine?...

P.S. just tried yesterday to load custom map and it works:
ImageImageImage
It's default one with afew changes. You know it looks good and it runs full speed on real console.
Chilly Willy
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Chilly Willy »

I was going to post about Yeti3D Pro, but you beat me to it. Funny enough, the pro version still has GBA support in it, but CLEARLY cannot work on the GBA since it requires more ram than the 256KB available in the GBA. Just the game map struct itself is exactly 256KB, then there are lots more structures and arrays that go in ram. The pro code allocates and builds the light tables and sin table in ram during the init. I'm quite familiar with Yeti3D Pro since I've been trying to make a 32X version of that for a while now. The 32X suffers from the same problem as the GBA - lack of ram.

Anything higher than the 32X/GBA should handle Yeti3D Pro just fine.

EDIT: By the way, there's a fork of Yeti3D-Pro that's being worked on. You can find it here:
http://code.google.com/p/yeti3dplusplus/
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

Basil wrote: Are you going to make it work?
If I do, it will be when I get curious enough to really look at the code and see how it works. Right now, I'm 34 years old with a full-time job and a pretty active social life. I'm sure I will one day do some more coding, and I always liked hacking on Yeti3D and on programs for the Dreamcast, but I haven't even had time to set up a development system since my old IBM laptop died about 2 years ago.
Basil
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Basil »

Chilly Willy, as you said you familiar with Yeti3D dont you want to continue OneThirty8's work on Yeti3D for Dreamcast? I remember you have done good work with doom on dc...