Burning Dreamcast .CDI files with a Mac..

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
christoph
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Burning Dreamcast .CDI files with a Mac..

Post by christoph »

I have been looking EVERYWHERE for a consistent working guide on burning .cdi dreamcast files on a Mac. It seems that they are ALL outdated, work for 1/10 burning attempts or don't work at all. Are there any Mac DC experts here? I know that there are A LOT of people who are in the same boat as me. I have successfully burned 3 games with CDIrip and toast 5 (out of 20 burns though..). Help is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Juan
DCEmu Commie
DCEmu Commie

Re: Burning Dreamcast .CDI files with a Mac..

Post by Juan »

I don't know about CDIs on Mac (or Macs at all), but http://gbadcdev.dcemulation.org/dreamcast.html seems pretty up to date.
christoph
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by christoph »

Thanks for the response, but thats not really what I'm looking for.

I'm looking how to burn .CDI files with a Mac.

If anyone has any legitimate guides, or any tips/knowledge - there is A LOT of people who would be grateful.

It seems ridiculous that there is no good information around about this!!?
christoph
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by christoph »

I even tried emailing the owners of all those little mac guides and their emails are all out of service. There is no where left to look.

I guess us mac users are screwed.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

I'll be moving this to our Mac/Linux/BSD forum.
Insane homebrew collector.
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

I don't have a Mac (nor have I ever), so I can't test this. However, it looks like there is a program you can use to extract the files and burn them with Toast:
http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/15633/cdime

If you get anything working, please let me know. I'd be glad to post an updated guide for using Mac to burn DC homebrew over at DCHelp.

EDIT - There's also JT Newman's old guide on DCHelp. It might be of some help.
http://www.dchelp.net/index.php?id=macuser#sec4-v
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
draculasgiraffe
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by draculasgiraffe »

Ok here's how you can burn Sega Dreamcast .cdi files on your Mac!!!

First, get yourself a .cdi file.

Next get yourself CDIRip 0.6.2

unzip the .rar download of your .cdi game and put this somewhere on your hard drive that is organized. Open up CDIRip and when it asks what .cdi to rip, click on the .cdi you want to rip. From here CDIRip is going to pull the .cdi apart into two new files. One will be a very small .aiff audio file, and the other will be a .iso file. CDIRip is going to now ask you where you want to put these two files. I suggest pressing Shift+Command+N right now and make a new folder with the name of the game, and have CDIRip put the files there.

Let CDIRip do it's thing and it will give you a message saying if it was successful or not. If yes open up Toast. If you're the type of person who reads a post like this, then I think it's safe to assume you have, or have access to getting Toast 10 so that's what I'm going use as my burn program.

Open Toast and click on the "Audio" button, then the Audio CD tab, as if we're burning a cd to listen to in the car. Drop the small .aiff file in the Toast window now. Pop in a cd-r and hit the red record button. When the next window pops up click on Advanced, then select "Write Session". We don't want to finalize the disc just yet. Hit record and let it do it's thing. When it's finished writing, hit "Mount" and then click on the "Copy" button. You should see a tab for "Multi-Track CD-Rom XA". You will now see a button called "Select..." Click on this and then select the .iso file for the game we are burning. Click the red record button and then the Advanced tab and click on "Write Disc" as we now want to finalize the disc.
Let Toast record it, and when you are done enjoy your game!
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

The only mac DC post in years and I miss it?? wth? :lol:
:arrow: http://tofuheavyindustries.com
Mac Dream Tool / Mac Dream Tool Services (released Sept. 2019)
Creator of Various awesome Video Games

"You don't have to be forgiven. Clint Eastwood taught us that."
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

Me too! I think I wrote a quick guide on this, not sure if it's still around?
koohr
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by koohr »

Matisfaction wrote:Me too! I think I wrote a quick guide on this, not sure if it's still around?
Would you be able to post your guide?

I'm just getting back into playing my DC, and I've tried for a very long time getting backups to burn in OS X, without any luck. I've tried different programs, the latest Toast version, just haven't ever been able to do it. All the guides out there via google are pretty much outdated, if you have a more recent one, please post it.

Thank you.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

koohr wrote:...I've tried for a very long time getting backups to burn in OS X, without any luck...
I'm assuming this is warez talk as you mentioned backups and the only way to obtain these files is through such channels. (check the forum rules regarding this matter)

My guide was tried and tested on homebrew apps etc. It may still be up at DC Help?
Karny
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Karny »

Hey, first post!

Has anyone managed to get draculasgiraffe's method to work?

I get up to the burning the data section but the toast craps out with the following error:

Code: Select all

Could not record the disc because the session's file system contains invalid data

Result Code = -17035 
Any ideas?

Edit: bbcode error
draculasgiraffe
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Karny wrote:Hey, first post!

Has anyone managed to get draculasgiraffe's method to work?

I get up to the burning the data section but the toast craps out with the following error:

Code: Select all

Could not record the disc because the session's file system contains invalid data

Result Code = -17035 
Any ideas?

Edit: bbcode error
what version of toast are you using? toast 10 isn't hard to find......remember burn the audio as session only then write disc at the data portion
Karny
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Karny »

I had 8, it didn't work so I upgraded to 10. Same issue.

The only bit that doesn't match up is the following:
When it's finished writing, hit "Mount" and then click on the "Copy" button. You should see a tab for "Multi-Track CD-Rom XA".
I don't have "Multi-Track CD-Rom XA" under copy, just "Disc copy", "Image File" and "Disc Image Merge". I've tried the Image file option as once I select the iso file it says ISO 9660 CD-ROM XA...

Am I on the right track?
draculasgiraffe
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

hmmm....if it's toast 10 you should definitely have the multi track option...if you don't, i don't know what to tell you but sorry...tried to help!
Karny
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Karny »

I really appreciate your help! I'm sure it's something I'm doing wrong.

Any change you could post a screenshot?

This is what it looks like on mine:

I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

There should be a multitrac option, or one that mentions 'xa'. Check all optional setting preferences before burning. Also, look through the index of the included application help.
:arrow: http://tofuheavyindustries.com
Mac Dream Tool / Mac Dream Tool Services (released Sept. 2019)
Creator of Various awesome Video Games

"You don't have to be forgiven. Clint Eastwood taught us that."
johnnytaco733
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by johnnytaco733 »

Have been looking at this thread over and over trying to figure out how to get these split files to work.
Did everything as explained, still not working
Theres nothing I need to put on the DC first, right?
Apparently I can just burn the image and it plays as I understand?

Using Toast 10
Cannot locate XMB multitrack or whatever.

Can someone confirm that this works and just revisit how to do this?
draculasgiraffe
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

this is for burning .cdi files on a macintosh computer

1.) download a .cdi file...if it is zipped unzip it...
2.) open up CDIrip...you can download it here....

http://dcemulation.org/?title=Mac_Tools

3.) point to the .cdi file you want to open...when it opens it will ask you where on your hard drive you want to save the new files. save it, and wait until it's done.
4.) you will now have an audio file (should only be one and it should be rather small) and a .iso file
5.) open up toast. if you're reading this i'm sure you either have or can obtain a copy of toast ten titanium, so that's what i'm going to use in this demonstration
6.) pop in a blank cd. first, select Audio CD. add the audio file. click the big red button and when the burn settings pop up click on advanced and click on WRITE SESSION ONLY. DO NOT WRITE DISC. when toast finishes burning the audio file it will give you the option to eject or mount the disc. mount it. then when it goes back into Toast, click on the COPY button. on the left you will find five options as shown in the pic below:
click on multi-track cd-rom xa. click the "select" button and add the .iso file that goes along with the audio file from before.
7.) click the big red button and go back to the advanced tab and click on write disc.
8.) when it finishes, eject it, label it and pop it in your dreamcast.
9.) you should see some graffiti screen before most games. this is cool. if the disc doesn't work i don't know what to tell you except go back thru the steps and make sure you did everything right. i don't know why some people don't have the multi track option in their version of toast 10. go here
http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/toast ... rview.html
and see what you can figure out. my dreamcast stopped playing all games recently and i bought a new one. best i can tell from the internet and best i can gather from the effin nerdass jerkdicks at the video game store is that "all systems have a shelf-life" thus the spin motor WILL burn out. sorry. good luck everyone!

myspace.com/draculasgiraffe
all the music is made with a korg ds-10 for nintendo ds!
Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Stormwatch »

I wish people here would give the LiquidCD developer a hand, because he's been trying to get it to burn DC cdi files.
I've really tried my best to burn a valid DC .cdi, but haven't succeeded yet. I made a byte per byte comparison and LiquidCD is burning exactly the same contents as the Windows software. So the difference is either in the toc, or the subchannel (or the pregap). I ran out of ideas, so I'll work on the others bugs. If anyone succeeded in burning a DC .cdi using another software on Mac (maybe one of those that claim to exctract the tracks) please let me know. Because I haven't.
Also, there is this program called AnyToISO Converter, that should convert any kind of disc image to ISO... anyone care to give it a try?
Lines join in faint discord and the Stormwatch brews
. . a concert of Kings as the white sea snaps
. . at the heels of a soft prayer
. . whispered