iMac G4

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

iMac G4

Post by Code-Red »

So someone at work is getting rid of their G4 iMac (the one with the white base, with swiveling arm). Never owned a Mac before, and it's only $50. I figure at best it's a nice display piece.

What can I do with it (besides beat it for being an Apple product)? Any suggested programs? Can I upgrade it?
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Re: iMac G4

Post by Code-Red »

Err.. this is probably not the place for this. Can someone move this to Linux/Mac/Etc?
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype »

Well, if this is spost to be in the right fourm then hell yeah.
Depending on which model (they made a few diffrent speeds). Depends on your functionality. I got a 1gightz g4 emac for 55 dollars and has 512mb of ram (being upgraded to 1gig). Those imac g4s are some what difficult to work with upgrade wise, but nothing impossible. You can upgrade ram (look up what kind it uses, iirc it is kinda expensive for what it actually is so try finding some used on craigslist or something if possible or ebay). The harddrive can be upgraded and it takes ide 3.5 harddrives it may have the 128gb limit I honestly can not recall so look that upfirst. On the emac it runs itunes fine, I mainly do web browsing, ichat, itunes, I can stream xvid videos, but really don't since I have a computer hooked up to my tv with xbmc on it depending where it is placed streaming videos to it might be a good option. Honestly, besides run basic internet shit on my emac I don't do too too much else with it, although it is a nice machine to have. Tiger would probally be the best option for which os to use.
oh, btw here is a upgrade guide http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/imac ... apart.html
I'm sure you could do photoediting n such on it, but if you have a more powerful machine then why, ya know. Also, if you don't want it let me know haha.
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

Oh hell no, I'm keeping this sexy piece :D. It's the 1.25Ghz model, I can't recall the exact amount, but I believe it has 768mb of ram. 17" screen. I figure I'll put it on my coffee table (my living room is rather small, and ATM using a wireless kb/m with my Dell laptop hooked up to the TV, not comfortable...) as it looks nice, and it won't seem to get in the way of anything.

Thanks for the info ZT.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Code-Red wrote:Err.. this is probably not the place for this. Can someone move this to Linux/Mac/Etc?
Done.
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Code-Red wrote:Oh hell no, I'm keeping this sexy piece :D. It's the 1.25Ghz model, I can't recall the exact amount, but I believe it has 768mb of ram. 17" screen. I figure I'll put it on my coffee table (my living room is rather small, and ATM using a wireless kb/m with my Dell laptop hooked up to the TV, not comfortable...) as it looks nice, and it won't seem to get in the way of anything.

Thanks for the info ZT.
Good to hear yeah you could upgrade the ram, but unless you just get an awesome deal on it or have money to blow, screw it. I'd stick to internet shit on it x-chat aqua is what I use for irc, ichat is great for aim, itunes will do you well, btw how will you be getting it online? If it came with an airport card, great if not I'd get a crossover cable and use my laptops wifi (its what I do for my emac and it works great, let me know if you wanna go that option).
DYTDMFBSB?
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

BlueCrab wrote:Done.
Thank you sir!
Zealous zerotype wrote:
Code-Red wrote:Oh hell no, I'm keeping this sexy piece :D. It's the 1.25Ghz model, I can't recall the exact amount, but I believe it has 768mb of ram. 17" screen. I figure I'll put it on my coffee table (my living room is rather small, and ATM using a wireless kb/m with my Dell laptop hooked up to the TV, not comfortable...) as it looks nice, and it won't seem to get in the way of anything.

Thanks for the info ZT.
Good to hear yeah you could upgrade the ram, but unless you just get an awesome deal on it or have money to blow, screw it. I'd stick to internet shit on it x-chat aqua is what I use for irc, ichat is great for aim, itunes will do you well, btw how will you be getting it online? If it came with an airport card, great if not I'd get a crossover cable and use my laptops wifi (its what I do for my emac and it works great, let me know if you wanna go that option).
Yea I figure I'll mainly use it for browsing the 'net, maybe play a couple games on it (nothing fancy). Does the iMac not come with an Ethernet port? I've got a hub running my laptop, 360, and Xbox, and I'd like to just plug 'er in. If not, I'm pretty certain it isn't coming with an Airport card so I'll pick one up, less cables everywhere that way.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Code-Red wrote:
Thank you sir!
Zealous zerotype wrote:

Thanks for the info ZT.
Yea I figure I'll mainly use it for browsing the 'net, maybe play a couple games on it (nothing fancy). Does the iMac not come with an Ethernet port? I've got a hub running my laptop, 360, and Xbox, and I'd like to just plug 'er in. If not, I'm pretty certain it isn't coming with an Airport card so I'll pick one up, less cables everywhere that way.
A crossover cable is ethernet port cable.
It's thinking...
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

yeah I recomended the crossover cable for something like how my set up is because you need to do some bs connection stuff, but hell yeah its got an ethernet port mang.
DYTDMFBSB?
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

|darc| wrote:
Code-Red wrote:
Thank you sir!
Zealous zerotype wrote:

Thanks for the info ZT.
A crossover cable is ethernet port cable.
Who knows....it's an Apple. Maybe it's called the iPort and costs an extra $200 on top of the price of the computer, and requires a proprietary program in order to use it, :lol:.
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

Well gentlemen, for the first time in 16 years Im using a Mac. Picked her up today, and surprisingly it was actually the 20 inch model, with Leopard (10.5 I think...) already installed. It comes with everything original, the mouse, power cable, speakers, the box, everything, its in mint condition.

My first question: when I try to put in a question mark or quotations it comes up with these: È, É. I remember on PCs this will be cause by having the improper language setup, but I checked it out and it says English.... so Im kind of stumped.

Trying to figure my way around this OS. Even though its new, it still sort of has the old nostalgia factor of using KidPix on the Apple IIs and Mac Classics.
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

If you have not solved your keyboard quarles let me know I remember finding a topic on it a while ago and I'd be glad to try and dig it up again. I guess at the 20" model you got the 1.25gightz proc which is damn good, I believe it is actually the highest clock on those, too. Basically you lucked the hell out, haha.
DYTDMFBSB?
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

Yep. Too bad I was late in getting though, I was reading a thread on Macforums and there was a company overclocking them to 1.92Ghz.

Tiger crapped out on me (BSOD). I'm waiting for the RAM to get in so I can attempt to run Leopard on it.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Any specific reason you know of that is making Tiger have kernel panics? That's extremely unusual, and is usually indicative of a hardware problem unless you installed some serious hacks on your system (bad drivers, kernel extensions, etc.).
It's thinking...
Code-Red
DCEmu Ex-Admin
DCEmu Ex-Admin

Post by Code-Red »

Nope, it was a clean install of Tiger. Apple's have their problems too.
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Yeah, from time to time an install will just be funky, buut if no major problems persist then a clean install usually fixes it. I have seen those over clocked before, but I would personally skip on it as they get hot already (those things are jam the fuck packed) not to say some people haven't been succesful at doing so .
DYTDMFBSB?
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

|darc| wrote:Any specific reason you know of that is making Tiger have kernel panics? That's extremely unusual, and is usually indicative of a hardware problem unless you installed some serious hacks on your system (bad drivers, kernel extensions, etc.).
My computer actually screwed up a Tiger update once. The computer would boot most of the way up and then kernel panic when it tried to start the dock and the menu. I had to boot from the system CD and reinstall. I think some data was lost or corrupted when it downloaded the OS update, resulting in a corrupted install package...but not damaged enough for the verification to catch it.

It only ever happened once, and it was with one of the later revisions of Tiger (10.4.8, I think). But it was a pain in the ass.
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Thats why I always make my install about a 20gig size and keep the data on the rest and then I highly recommend carbon copy cloner for making a drive backup(fully bootable and all that wonderful stuff) if you have the space.
DYTDMFBSB?
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

Code-Red wrote:Nope, it was a clean install of Tiger. Apple's have their problems too.
Yeah, I'm sure every time you install an OS you end up with a lot of different stuff. :roll:
It's thinking...
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Good one |darc|; however, I'm sure it is possible that the person before could of done something to of messed things up so a fresh install would of done it good. That thing can run leopard btw incase you want it to. Codered, you may want to grab a utility called S.M.A.R.T utility (it may just be smart) it checks your harddrives and lets you know whats up with them.
DYTDMFBSB?