Genesis+ Status?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Genesis+ Status?

Post by Nico0020 »

I love this emulator, and always knew it had a lot of potential. I am just curious if it is still being worked on by anyone in the scene. Too bad the major art project for it fell through.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Maturion
Been thanked: 0

Re: Genesis+ Status?

Post by Maturion »

I think development on GenesisPlusDC was stopped some time ago.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

I had all those minor speedups and feature additions, but after getting slammed for the last release I lost impetus (no, not you Austin) and testers.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

I am really sad to hear that. This has got to be one of the most impressive emulators out there. I never expected full speed genesis emulation with decent sound. I would love to one day see someone pick this back up again! Great work regardless. other than the speed updates, what "features" had you added?
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

Quzar, did the testers have to know "all" the technical aspects to give you feedback? If there was some sort of build ready to be tested, I would do my best to help out.

Better than letting it just fade into oblivion, right?

Anyways if you got nothing to lose, I'd be more than happy to give anything a test shot. I wonder if the gens4all possible March date will happen, as it was mentioned by Fox <He did say no promises> over at dcemu.co.uk not long ago. Maybe because of the RetroMadrid event?
ImageImageImageImage
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

when was a date of march announced for gens4all? I think i missed that

*edit* NVM saw post on dcemu.co.uk

I hope it happens I look forward to it.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

I thought I had already answered here.
  • Switch between Cz80/CrabZ80 (with room for FAZE)
    Allow filenames with spaces in them
    Multilingual menu
    Many small speedups (especially in the software rendered)
    Many small bugfixes (mostly from the gamecube version)
    Big fixes to some sound bugs that break one company's games
I'm pretty sure that I implemented all of the above in my last public release (Jan 27 07), but the first may not have been in it (doesn't matter all that much since CrabZ80 was soooooo much slower ;)).

The January 27th 2007 release (found here) should work fine. I never got any good feedback after the broken January 20th release.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

I think I actually have an older version of it. The one I have apparently is from Jan 20th. lol. I'll burn this one and give it a shot.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Quzar wrote:I'm pretty sure that I implemented all of the above in my last public release (Jan 27 07), but the first may not have been in it (doesn't matter all that much since CrabZ80 was soooooo much slower ;)).
I'm somewhat curious how much this is still the case (that CrabZ80 is slower). There's been a lot of work on optimizing and cleaning up CrabZ80 done since then (I still fully expect CrabZ80 to be slower in general). If you ever have a chance to try it out, lemme know. :wink:
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

BlueCrab wrote:
Quzar wrote:I'm pretty sure that I implemented all of the above in my last public release (Jan 27 07), but the first may not have been in it (doesn't matter all that much since CrabZ80 was soooooo much slower ;)).
I'm somewhat curious how much this is still the case (that CrabZ80 is slower). There's been a lot of work on optimizing and cleaning up CrabZ80 done since then (I still fully expect CrabZ80 to be slower in general). If you ever have a chance to try it out, lemme know. :wink:
Havn't tried since then. I'll update sometime soon.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

I know saving is said to work in the emu, though i haven't played any games I need to save in. Is it all just autosave, or do you have to go back to the menu to make it save?
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Nico0020 wrote:I know saving is said to work in the emu, though i haven't played any games I need to save in. Is it all just autosave, or do you have to go back to the menu to make it save?
It's autosave. When the emu tries to read/write to sram it creates some and puts it onto the vmu.
fox68k
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by fox68k »

stryfe23 wrote:Anyways if you got nothing to lose, I'd be more than happy to give anything a test shot. I wonder if the gens4all possible March date will happen, as it was mentioned by Fox <He did say no promises> over at dcemu.co.uk not long ago. Maybe because of the RetroMadrid event?
Yes, that's right. The first beta is intended to be shown in RetroMadrid event next 14th March. However, i cannot guarantee it will be released by then. Anyway, keep tunned, this is about to happen.
- fox68k -
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

Anyway, keep tunned, this is about to happen
trust me I will, I am totally stoked!
Neoblast
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Neoblast »

Well I tested your build quzar and it was way slower than blackaura's.
FPS decreased a lot, but yes sound was a little better.
Anyway it was ok on BA's build, the only thing that I think that needs to be fixed from BA's build is some graphic glitches... in games like outrun, roadrash and lotus 2...
Then it'll be near perfect.
joey245
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by joey245 »

Sorry to bump an older topic but has there been any progress made since the last post, also has anyone tried getting rid of that frustrating roms list it relies on as i just given up on gens4all and genesis plus dc because of
A: the sound that makes it horrible and slows down the game, thats in gens4all
B and for genesis plus dc the roms list :x
Sorry :(
Eviltaco64X
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Eviltaco64X »

joey245 wrote:Sorry to bump an older topic but has there been any progress made since the last post, also has anyone tried getting rid of that frustrating roms list it relies on as i just given up on gens4all and genesis plus dc because of
Making the roms list manually is a bitch, yes.. But I do believe that there's a tool that makes a romlist for you.
joey245
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by joey245 »

Eviltaco64X wrote:
joey245 wrote:Sorry to buhttp://dcemulation.org/mp an older topic but has there been any progress made since the last post, also has anyone tried getting rid of that frustrating roms list it relies on as i just given up on gens4all and genesis plus dc because of
Making the roms list manually is a bitch, yes.. But I do believe that there's a tool that makes a romlist for you.
yes, but what i'm thinking is if we remove it and add auto scanning we only have to add the zipped roms into the folder, the program that is used can be a right pain in the bum if you don't use it goes wrong and also having to used zipped roms, maybe support for multiple files? it would make life a hell lot easier
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

GenesisPlusDC supports the following extensions: ".zip", ".gen", and ".bin".

I posed the very same question about gens4all over at the Dremcast.es forums, but haven't gotten a response. I think the prevailing view is, it'll happen if it'll happen. Right now as far as I know gens4all is still being worked on until I'm told otherwise, and genplusdc had reportedly been resumed by some of the dc veteran coders.

A couple things I know are that the sound will never be perfect, because of the dreamcast's hardware limitations. And these guys have personal/social lifes, so we may never see an update...
ImageImageImageImage
fox68k
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by fox68k »

Stryfe wrote:GenesisPlusDC supports the following extensions: ".zip", ".gen", and ".bin".

I posed the very same question about gens4all over at the Dremcast.es forums, but haven't gotten a response. I think the prevailing view is, it'll happen if it'll happen. Right now as far as I know gens4all is still being worked on until I'm told otherwise, and genplusdc had reportedly been resumed by some of the dc veteran coders.

A couple things I know are that the sound will never be perfect, because of the dreamcast's hardware limitations. And these guys have personal/social lifes, so we may never see an update...
GensDC supports .bin, .gen, .smd, .zip, .gz and .7z. I think it is more than enough. It features a customised, cursor based menu.
And i have been losing my personal/social life for a while so yes, we will have an update, but heh, you want an update or you want anything along the same lines it used to be?

As a progress report, i have been dealing with some nasty issues, most of which are gone by now. Unfortunately, it is taking longer than i wanted, but that is the way it is. Basically, there is still work on the VDP and the sound emulation. The speed improvements on the VDP are really promising and worth waiting for. I will not get into numbers, which usually create a lot of confusion.

As soon as i have something i feel happy with, i will provide a beta to Chris and next will be the first beta release...
- fox68k -