Announcing Elysian Shadows DC

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
GyroVorbis
Elysian Shadows Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Re: Announcing Elysian Shadows DC

Post by GyroVorbis »

Adventures in Game Development Chapter 15:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV9m_men ... annel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU_zmHYc ... annel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsBAGgZ8 ... annel_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBbDv-Qs ... annel_page

Update:

We tried to use the engine to do a few side projects, to sort of show off its capabilities. We created a Chu Chu Rocket clone and recreated a level from Super Mario Bros.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life
Has thanked: 0

Post by Nico0020 »

What in the hell was in that drink?
*The Cadillac of signatures*
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis »

Maple syrup, hot sauce, raspberry flavor concentrate, and Italian dressing. It showed us brew the concoction in one of the earlier parts (forgot which).

We're on break for awhile, though. Putting this much effort into our Youtube series and the project was killing me. We broke 1k subscribers, though!

edit: Oops, I missed Savant's post. I appreciate the support. That is actually what we are trying to do with the engine. We tried to demonstrate that it can be used for more than just Elysian Shadows by making a few minigames in that episode.
Christuserloeser
Been thanked: 0

Post by Christuserloeser »

Finally newsposted.

- on to the next 1000 subscribers! :grin:
Insane homebrew collector.
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis »

Thank you very much. I really appreciate that. It's always nice to see people commenting and subscribing to our videos who are from the DC Scene.

That's still something that I am having issues with--raising awareness among the Dreamcast fans. Probably 95+% of our subscribers have nothing to do with the DC Scene. But I've also noticed that a few people have gone out and bought DCs wanting to become active in the scene after watching our videos.

But yes, I really appreciate the publicity.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

That's still something that I am having issues with--raising awareness among the Dreamcast fans. Probably 95+% of our subscribers have nothing to do with the DC Scene. But I've also noticed that a few people have gone out and bought DCs wanting to become active in the scene after watching our videos.
I think your approach of catering to the general public is a good one. You get the attention you deserve right now, and at the same time introduce new people to the machine.

Since the (active) DC scene is so small, it doesn't take much to spread the word. Atm, the only people interested are us hardcore homebrew fanatics, but one single trailer with gameplay footage released a few months before the actual game's release can get a lot of attention among people interested in buying new commercial games.

Just stick to what you're doing. I will see that I can spread whatever news you'd come up with to the existing channels. At one point, when the game's nearing completion, the fire usually switches over to the bigger gaming sites as they really seem to enjoy covering 'that zombie console' in the news from time to time, likely because yesterday's Dreamcast fans are today's news scouts.

PS: It also might be a good idea to include both the PC and the Dreamcast version on the same CD - which AFAIK would be a first for a commercial release, and which probably would increase sales but definitely lower production costs.

You can even boot the game straight off the CD if you insert a file like 'autorun.inf' (Windows):

[autorun]
OPEN=myproggy.exe
ICON=myfolder\myproggy.ico
Insane homebrew collector.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Christuserloeser wrote:PS: It also might be a good idea to include both the PC and the Dreamcast version on the same CD - which AFAIK would be a first for a commercial release, and which probably would increase sales but definitely lower production costs.

You can even boot the game straight off the CD if you insert a file like 'autorun.inf' (Windows):

[autorun]
OPEN=myproggy.exe
That's what I told him (and got fackue to do for the deviso). It surprised me that none of the big ones (that I've tried) do that. In fact, you can at the very least tri-boot with the NGCD. Don't know much about saturn/ps/whatever layouts but I'm sure a multidisc could be made to work on a lot of them jiggers (looking towards frog feast).
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis »

Yeah, I had looked into this before (thanks to Quzar). I'm convinced that a single disc for DC/PC would totally be the way to go.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Quzar wrote:
Christuserloeser wrote:PS: It also might be a good idea to include both the PC and the Dreamcast version on the same CD - which AFAIK would be a first for a commercial release, and which probably would increase sales but definitely lower production costs.

[autorun]
OPEN=myproggy.exe
That's what I told him (and got fackue to do for the deviso). It surprised me that none of the big ones (that I've tried) do that. In fact, you can at the very least tri-boot with the NGCD. Don't know much about saturn/ps/whatever layouts but I'm sure a multidisc could be made to work on a lot of them jiggers (looking towards frog feast).
This is an idea I've been pushing for a long time (just ask the other former Screamcast guys :P). There are so many ways this can be taken advantage of to do neat things it's a wonder it hasn't really been experimented with much.
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis »

I completely agree.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

GyroVorbis wrote:I completely agree.
If you do end up releasing such a disk, please don't forget to include the game making engine itself. That would be absolutely perfect for increasing awareness as to the depth of the work your team has done. If you're ever on IRC, hit me up. I have some ideas if you end up releasing the engine in such a way.
Maturion

Post by Maturion »

The screenshots look really nice! Keep the good work up!
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis »

Adventures in Game Development Chapter 15.5
[youtube]ojVwBtzB2LY&[/youtube]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojVwBtzB2LY&

The break is over, which means that we have all gotten off of our asses again to work on Elysian Shadows. 15.5 is a teaser of our progress so far.

edit: how the hell do you guys embed Youtube vids with BBcode? =/
Last edited by GyroVorbis on Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
OneThirty8
Damn Dirty Ape
Damn Dirty Ape

Post by OneThirty8 »

GyroVorbis wrote:how the hell do you guys embed Youtube vids with BBcode? =/
Basically, use the last bit of the URL after the = sign in between a youtube tag.

Code: Select all

GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis »

Thank you! :)
Neoblast
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Neoblast »

NICE work dude!
Also you are making a game with that engine right?
More or less at what % of development is it?
Looking forward to try it out.
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis »

Neoblast wrote:NICE work dude!
Also you are making a game with that engine right?
More or less at what % of development is it?
Looking forward to try it out.
Yeah, the engine was originally written just for Elysian Shadows. We just grew more ambitious with the project as time went on.

Engine is probably 80-90%
Editor is probably 85-95%
Elysian Shadows itself is more like 10%
Neoblast
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Neoblast »

Do you have in mind allowing some sort of TCP/IP capabilities to the engine? ( MMORPG or something..)
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis »

We haven't planned anything like that yet, but who knows. We hadn't planned half of the stuff it does now. I pull things out of my ass as we go.

And in other news, we have a poll/form on our website. I'm actually shocked at the amount of people who say they will be playing the DC version over the PC. It's something like 40% to 60%.
GyroVorbis

Post by GyroVorbis »

Huge project update, gentlemen. Here's the post from Youtube and the site:
Elysian Shadows Revolution: Episode 1 wrote:You are probably asking yourself "What the hell happened here!??" Good. After more drama than an episode of LOST, Marcel (Level Editor) and Cypher (Music) have both quit the team (good riddance). Kendall (Engine), Pritam (Concepts/Pixel Art), and Thomas (Music) have all joined the party. We're back, and we're pissed.

First of all, this is not "The Adventures in Game Development Chapter 17." With all of the new blood on the team, we're determined to break new ground in computer science, engineering, art, music, and software development. We would like to concentrate on the development of Elysian Shadows rather than the development of a generic engine and editor as AiGD did. We are also trying to show the entire development process INCLUDING areas such as art and music from team members who aren't even in the same country.

Marcel (and his level editor) have been replaced by Alex (MarauderIIC). He began writing a new level editor from scratch a few weeks ago. It is being written in C# and has shown a significant amount of progress in a very short amount of time.

Kendall and Falco have ripped the entire ES Engine to shreds and have started a rewrite in order to accomodate a plethora of newly planned features for ES (rigid body physics and PSP port to name two). Kendall is currently working at a higher level on the engine itself. Falco is working at a lower level to create a multiplatform library "libGyro" capable of powering Elysian Shadows on the PC, Sega Dreamcast, and Sony Playstation Portable.

Pritam has been working his ass off to create concepts for every party member based on our storyline. It's a tough job, and just one character has taken dozens of iterations to tweak to perfection. Once the character concepts are complete, sprite creation can commence.

Thomas, our newest recruit, has been working on sound and audio production for a couple of weeks now. After presenting us with a demo that literally blew us away, we knew that we wanted him. He has been experimenting with fusing different kinds of sounds including orchestra, electronica, and elements of rock to create a unique atmosphere for Elysian Shadows.

Affiliate News:

Bop N Pop 360
Everybody's favorite Golvellius 3D developer has been working on a side-project for the Xbox 360. It is currently being reviewed and playtested by the XNA developer committee and will be available for download via Xbox Live shortly. Give a round of applause to the man who has achieved all of our dreams: releasing a game.
Subscribe: http://www.youtube.com/user/JSLemming

New Gyromite
For those of you who didn't know, our good friend, JS Lemming, has been working on his very own remake of the NES classic "Gyromite." Features include revamped graphics, new levels, and bitchin' gameplay mechanics, all in 720p. Venture over here to have a look.
Subscribe: http://www.youtube.com/user/trufun202
Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGx8Z-1iYvs

Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFspJoMiNRc

Part 3 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz5hjVbmR9U