Recommend a Rice Cooker

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Recommend a Rice Cooker

Post by DaMadFiddler »

My mother's birthday is later this month, and while she's an excellent baker, she has always struggled a bit with rice. Now that my parents are getting older, they're eating a lot more rice instead of breads and pasta. I'd like to order her a rice cooker for her birthday, since I know she'd enjoy the convenience of it, and I don't think it's something she would ever think to get herself.

But, since I do all my cooking with pots and pans on a stovetop, I'm not really sure what a good one is or what to look for. I'd like to keep it $40 or less, and it needs to make enough rice to serve 2-4 (ideally 2-6) people. One other note: my parents *hate* Teflon, so I am looking for one that does not have a non-stick coating.

Any suggestions?
Jeeba Jabba
Jeeba Jabba

Re: Recommend a Rice Cooker

Post by Jeeba Jabba »

Why do they hate teflon?
"He who cannot draw on 3,000 years is living hand-to-mouth." -Goethe
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

What a bizarre thing to hate. A rice cooker without a non-stick coating would be a total bitch to clean. I'd be very surprised if there were many good options available in that category, considering the absence of a non-stick coating would be the sign of something cheaply produced.

Anyway, if you can get around that problem I'd definitely recommend buying one. Even the simpler machines still reduce the difficulty of rice cooking to a single button press.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

teflon scratches easily, and once there is a chip or scratch in it, it starts breaking down into your food. This wouldn't be appealing under any circumstances, but Teflon is also toxic.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

IIRC, Teflon is only toxic if it depolymerizes (which, admittedly, is not hard to do if you e.g. leave an empty pot/pan on a hot stove), and even then it's not toxic enough to be especially nasty unless you're a bird.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

Richard Simmons food steamer.
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

Aroma Rice Cooker - Endorsed by 'Yan(g) can Cook'. I have one and I love it. Im not sure if its teflon coated, I hope not; but you'll have to check on the web to see whether it is or not. I would highly recommend it.
:arrow: http://tofuheavyindustries.com
Mac Dream Tool / Mac Dream Tool Services (released Sept. 2019)
Creator of Various awesome Video Games

"You don't have to be forgiven. Clint Eastwood taught us that."
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

DaMadFiddler wrote:teflon scratches easily, and once there is a chip or scratch in it, it starts breaking down into your food. This wouldn't be appealing under any circumstances, but Teflon is also toxic.
And that's why all those people got sick from ingesting it and now it's banned? :roll:
AgentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen
More like GAY-gentGreen

Post by AgentGreen »

I.M. Weasel wrote:Aroma Rice Cooker - Endorsed by 'Yan(g) can Cook'. I have one and I love it. Im not sure if its teflon coated, I hope not; but you'll have to check on the web to see whether it is or not. I would highly recommend it.
Yeah I've got one. It might even be the same exact one since it's endorsed by Martin Yan.

It has a non-stick coating, so the teflon-hating parental units from mars might hate it. But it also has its own solid plastic utensils so there should be no worry of scratching it as long as it's handwashed and nobody tries to scour it.

http://www.target.com/Aroma-8-Cup-Cool- ... oma&page=1

This one is smaller than mine, I have a big 10-cup cooker. But it looks the same and is made by the same company so I can't assume it's much different.
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype »

Just get a crock pot. Those can make rice super easy and a shit ton of other things.
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God
Calavera
DCEmu Classic User
DCEmu Classic User

Post by Calavera »

Is there any way to mod the Dreamcast to be able to cook rice?
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Calavera wrote:Is there any way to mod the Dreamcast to be able to cook rice?
Yes, but it's very hard on the GD-ROM drive. The DCRice app is a better solution than a hardware mod, but it requires use of the BBA.

On a more serious note, though: I need to get this thing ordered. I'm thinking of getting this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-SR-G10G ... 918&sr=8-9

because it's big and cheap enough and doesn't have Teflon, but I don't know if Panasonic is a good brand for this sort of thing. I don't normally think of them as a kitchen appliances company. Does the brand/design matter much, or do they all pretty much work the same?
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Make sure it's nickle-free too (so no stainless), as that is also bad for you. I had an uncle who was all into the insane conspiracy health stuff. Apparently the only really safe stuff is cast iron, because that's fine to eat at most any amounts.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Quzar wrote:Make sure it's nickle-free too (so no stainless), as that is also bad for you. I had an uncle who was all into the insane conspiracy health stuff. Apparently the only really safe stuff is cast iron, because that's fine to eat at most any amounts.
Most of my cookware is actually cast iron, just because I like the way it cooks better. However, I doubt I'm going to find a cast iron (or even porcelain) rice cooker ;p
not just souLLy now
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by not just souLLy now »

ITT Americans worried about the trace toxin levels in their cooking utensils.

Fig a. The meal that is in all likelihood going to be prepared using them
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

I think America's health fears could be solved by getting the government to create some sort of agency that regulates food and drugs. You could staff the agency with experts who know more about these things than the shitpipe that your mom's forwarded emails come from.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Well, thank you to the one or two of you who actually tried to help, rather than just ranting about the Teflon preference :P

The point is, REGARDLESS of reason, my mom doesn't like Teflon and wouldn't want it if it was Teflon-coated. Since it's a gift for her, there's no point in arguing the merits of it. I was just looking for a little advice in terms of brands/models/features to look for, since I'm not really familiar with rice cookers.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

The no-Teflon requirement pretty much removes everything from consideration. There are very few rice cookers that don't use Teflon.

Rice cookers basically work by heating water in a metal bowl. The only differences are the capacity of the bowl, and the capabilities of the electronic control system. Mine just has an on/off switch, but more advanced ones have timers, different operating modes, and so on. If you just want to cook rice, you probably don't need any of that.

That one actually looks a lot like mine, but a different make. I think mine's either Breville (an Australian one) or Tefal (French, I think). It's OK, but it's only marginally easier to use than a pot on the stove, and still a bit of a bugger to clean. That's assuming you've got the hang of cooking rice on a stove - if you haven't got the hang of it, even a simple rice cooker like that is good. I used to use it a lot more before I got the hang of cooking it on the stove.