(unofficial) NesterDC SE v1.1

This forum is for the posting of new newsposts, and it stores the site's news and comments archives. Only newsposters have access to post new news in here; if you wish to submit news, please post it in the discussion section for your particular topic. We may choose to move it here as a newspost if we find that it's worthy for the front page.
Christuserloeser
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Been thanked: 0

(unofficial) NesterDC SE v1.1

Post by Christuserloeser »

Since Scherzo doesn't plan to work on NesterDC SE in the near future, I decided to compile a release with the modifications to the GUI that I sent him a while back. This includes the free ROM browser Scherzo posted about here.

Here are some preview screens:
nesterdcsemainbgpreviewlj0.png
The modified main menu.
nesterdcsebetaloadbgnewpy6.png
A mockup of the ROM selection.

-How to burn-

I recommend BootDreams: http://dchelp.dcemulation.org/
ROMs go in /NES/ folder. Maximum number of characters per file name should be 46+3 (with .zip or .nes extension).

-File browser controls-

A - selects game, opens directory
X - goes up a directory
B - goes back to the main menu
L/R - scrolls faster through the listed items

-Downloads-
Insane homebrew collector.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Re: (unofficial) NesterDC SE v1.1

Post by Quzar »

Does this retain the ability to use the super cool game library browser thing?
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Christuserloeser

Quzar wrote:Does this retain the ability to use the super cool game library browser thing?
Yes and no. You could re-enable it by editing main2.js, and even add a switch to options to allow choosing whatever method of browsing you prefer by editing optionsScreen.js, but in practise it wouldn't be of much use since after burning your disc you'd end up with files that are either numbered for the original SE browser (and thus you'd have no idea which game is what when browsing with the plain file browser), or a list of games named "My Game (JUE) [!]" for the file browser that isn't indexed for the SE library.

See Scherzo's post here: viewtopic.php?p=998285#p998285

One idea behind releasing this mod was to provide an easy way to use SE without the library but the file browser instead.

If you'd prefer to use the original SE library browser, you could either revert line number 15 in main2.js to g_settings.romBrowseMode = 'SE'; or just copy+paste the GUI artworks from /graphics/ to your original SE installation - both of which should give you the same result.

Haven't tested this though, so let me know if it works the way it should, or if something's looking out of place.

EDIT: Personally I would prefer being able to use both, the library and a file browser, but that would only be possible if we can remove the library's database dependance, and index/link the games with the screenshots/nsfs/codes/etc. by name and not by numbers.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Christuserloeser wrote:EDIT: Personally I would prefer being able to use both, the library and a file browser, but that would only be possible if we can remove the library's database dependance, and index/link the games with the screenshots/nsfs/codes/etc. by name and not by numbers.
The way I always thought of it working would be to have both, and the plain file browser would simply ignore databased games and allow the user to play homebrew/hacked/whatever games.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Christuserloeser

Good idea, and I think that's possible right now by simply editing optionsScreen.js:
// {name : "Misc", func : miscOptions},
I added the lines, tested the feature but for some reason did comment it out again somewhere down the road.

- I think I didn't keep this option in because it would re-introduce the database dependancy: If not set up correctly, the browser just crashed IIRC. I wanted this release to be as bullet-proof as possible anyway so everyone could burn and use it.

For a future release I really think the goal should be both, and preferrably with an open database where everone could simply add missing games/screenshots/nsfs/etc., then compile their .db, burn their disc, won't encounter missing entries when browsing the library, and could switch to the plain file browser at any time.
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
Has thanked: 0

Post by Stryfe »

Nice work, make things easier for someone who just wants to DL and play.

Did the naming shema somehow get solved? I noticed that in your mock-up you used the full GoodTools naming scheme, but nothing with a (') in it's name. Is there hope that the apostrophe display issue was worked around?
ImageImageImageImage
Christuserloeser

Hasney wrote:My only problem with it is the 1.1 tag. Upping the version number kind of implies that this version is better, it's more of an alternative to the standard NesterDC SE more than moving up a version. I'd rather see it with a full name change or something to that effect.
I thought about that before doing the release. You are correct that it is more of an alternative than a real update, but I labeled it v1.1 anyway, as I hope that we will see (many) more versions of SE. I am no coder and this is about as far as I can go for now, but I really hope that others will take this beast and give it some attention. If I can label this v1.1, any real coder surely could label the next update v1.2, no matter how minor the changes are.

This emulator is almost perfect and most things that could be improved are smaller details. I will post the things I discussed with Scherzo in Programming Discussions and everyone who wants is invited to join in to help improving this emulator, and maybe we'll see some new releases every now and then.
stryfe23 wrote:Did the naming shema somehow get solved? I noticed that in your mock-up you used the full GoodTools naming scheme, but nothing with a (') in it's name. Is there hope that the apostrophe display issue was worked around?
That was among the things I proposed to Scherzo. Will post it with the other stuff in Programming Discussions asap.
Sonic-NKT
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Sonic-NKT »

Nice, i really want to include some Hacks/Fan Translations on my nice looking NesterDC-SE disc :D
U-said-it
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by U-said-it »

Any way to exit a game, and go back to the menu?
ImageImage
Christuserloeser

Analog-Left + Start IIRC, like in SE v1.0.
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

OK Chris, thanks.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

great release, i'll try it out this weekend.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Maturion

Post by Maturion »

Oh yeah, I forgot to say Thank you!
TechnoWolf
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by TechnoWolf »

Nice work!!

Hey Chris, do you know if you can use the "Genie" with 1.1?
Could you just copy the Genie folder from previous compilations into the root folder, and if so how would you access within the emu?
Stryfe
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Stryfe »

Forgot to say how nice the browser theme looks, thanks. I like the new loading screen as well.

But, I have a question. While the cdi you uploaded works great, I'm having problems putting any more than around 150 roms on a single disc. Bootdreams spits out a "data.iso not found" error. This could be an issue with Bootdream right? Does anyone know why this is happening?

Again, thanks.
ImageImageImageImage
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

malk
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by malk »

this is good :/
hey911
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by hey911 »

Nice.
But, does this support FDS like NesterDC 6.0?
I could just try burning it, but every little disc counts these days, for me anyway.
stryfe23 wrote: Bootdreams spits out a "data.iso not found" error.
-Tried it without the Joliet write option?
intylab
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by intylab »

Nope, I tried loading a FamiCom Disk System game, and it just hung. NESterDC v7.1 had FDS support, so there is no reason why this shouldn't have it either. Perhaps the same button that is mapped to Coin could also be mapped to "Side-B" if support is ever added in a later release.

With the v1.1 release, I encountered a problem. When I do use the SE menu, the up and down arrows do not work the way they did before. I listened to the NSF of a random game and watched to see if the images changed, and they did, so it's not a problem with the images.

The Disc menu seems to have some bugs, which might be why it was disabled in the script files all this time. After opening a few directories, eventually I get no file listings. Perhaps there is a stack overflow, or a memory leak. After this starts to happen, any game I try to play makes the system hang.

On the plus side, one thing I like about the new script files is that "Return to Menu" is at the top of the in-game menu, so I don't have to press the down arrow a bunch of times to get there.

As a tip, I modified optionsScreen.js to change the Misc menu text. At line 16, I changed the name of the menu to "Extra Games" and at lines 206 and 215, I changed the menu item to "Game Selection" and the values to "Normal" and "Extra"

I just finished creating new Mega Man I levels using an old level editor, so I'm pretty excited at the idea of having both menus running on a new disc: one for the commercial releases with the SE functionality, and one for all the hacks and homebrew games. Thank you for taking the time to pick up the NESterDC baton!
bmar29
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by bmar29 »

Does it take awhile for the rom list to load??
I have all NES roms about 800 or so...
and from what i can tell, the rom list is frozen...