Basic newbie questions

Sylverant is a homebrew open source server for Phantasy Star Online. Dreamcast users still play PSO online with this server even today! This is the official forum for both the online game server as well as the open source project itself. Feel free to post and get a gathering started online! We can also show you how to get connected!

Moderators: BlueCrab, Aleron Ives

tzakiel
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Basic newbie questions

Post by tzakiel »

I've just managed to get my dreampi (looking to play dreamcast PSO V2) up and running so I have some very basic questions:

1. If I want to have my own guild card and full features, should I buy a copy of PSO V2? Does it have to be a US copy or is a Japan version fine? And use that serial and access to set up my characters? I tried a shared serial for the time being just to test but I want to make sure I'm doing it "right".

2. Once logged on, how can I check to see if others are playing/what they are doing? Where do I go and look? I haven't played PSO since the early 2000s so I can't recall how you find other players.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Re: Basic newbie questions

Post by BlueCrab »

1. If you want to be able to register your serial/access key on the website, you will need to have a non-shared one. If you're planning on playing with the official GD-ROM and the Sylverant PSO Patcher disc (which you'll need for the US or Japanese versions anyway), then it doesn't matter what region you get. That said, the Japanese version is buggier than the US version, so I would recommend the US version if the price difference isn't a huge deal (last I checked, the US version of v2 was still usually cheaper than the Japanese version online).

2. You can either exchange guild cards with users, or you can use the friendlist feature built into the server. You can look here for some information about the friendslist and the commands to use it (look in the section about commands for regular users): https://sourceforge.net/p/sylverant/wiki/FAQs/
tzakiel
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by tzakiel »

Thanks Blue,

For the disc to purchase; I am using usb-GDrom and I have the Ives v2 image on there. So does that mean I need the US v2 code?

I think my question about finding players is more of a general one... what I mean is, before i have made any friends or exchanged cards, how do I discover who is online/where would I see them while I am online? Would they be visible in the ship/lobby whatever, listed by talking to a certain npc who shows active parties, or where.

What I’m asking is, I guess, what’s the path I need to take to be able to meet and play with people?
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

You will want to get a US copy to make your life easier if you're using that setup. The serial number/access key pairs are region-locked, so you'd have to use the Japanese game if you want to use a Japanese serial number.

As for finding people to play with, when you go online, you'll be put into a lobby where you can communicate with others who happen to be in the lobby (if anyone). There's a desk in the lobby where you can join any teams that are currently going. I do highly recommend coming by the Sylverant discord and asking around there (especially on the #psodc-psopc channel.