Need help with PSO Patcher!

Sylverant is a homebrew open source server for Phantasy Star Online. Dreamcast users still play PSO online with this server even today! This is the official forum for both the online game server as well as the open source project itself. Feel free to post and get a gathering started online! We can also show you how to get connected!

Moderators: BlueCrab, Aleron Ives

CLEM3NTE
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Need help with PSO Patcher!

Post by CLEM3NTE »

Hey guys,

I am no stranger to PSO... been playing since it's US release in 2000. I am all hooked up on the Gamecube (thanks to @BlueCrab for that)... but now I need help with getting my Dreamcast up and running online.

I do NOT have a BBA. I have a Linksys PAP2T-NA adapter that runs to a Netopia R2020. Have it all set up... I just need to run the PSO patcher in the game to speak to the modem. I am not a coder by any means because I have never needed to use it in my line of work. I am running a MacBook Air, so OSX is used. I was reading the guide (http://mc.pp.se/dc/cdr.html) on how to set it up and I am running into the following issues:

1. I can unpack the "pso_patcher_dd.cdi" file. The other two (pso_patcher_cdda.cdi and pso_patcher_ad.cdi) I cannot. I am using The Unarchiver for that.

2. I downloaded cdrecord for mac, but have no way of knowing how to use it. There is no .dmg file to execute, so my Terminal will not read the coding used in the guide.

3. I have an External CD Drive plugged up with a blank CD-R disc waiting to be burned...

I just need someone to help me get this PSO Patcher burned to this disc so I can insert it... do what it needs to do so I can join you on Ragol. Please help in anyway you can. I am not a moron by any stretch of the imagination, but I can't seem to comprehend this.

Thanks in advance,
CLEM3NTE
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Re: Need help with PSO Patcher!

Post by BlueCrab »

If you're using a cdi image, then you won't be using cdrecord. If I recall correctly, there was a free program for Mac called LiquidCD that should be able to burn cdi files just fine without you needing to do much.

You could use the instructions from Marcus' site (the one you linked to) if you were trying to burn the plain files, but I'm assuming you don't have much experience with using the terminal to try to do things, so it's probably a better idea to try LiquidCD first since it should be easier. ;-)
CLEM3NTE
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by CLEM3NTE »

Thanks for responding and coming through... like always. So what do I do? Just burn everything in the folder to a CD-R using LiquidCD and then just put it in the Dreamcast? Or are there more steps involved?

The guide made it seemed like I needed to layer it somehow... but I don't know what the heck any of that means. I'm told it was written in English... but I can't prove it.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

You should just be able to select the CDI file itself (don't try to extract it) as an image to burn in LiquidCD. You don't have to do anything else special with it.

It's been a long time since I've tried, but I'm pretty sure there's just an option to burn an image file and you should be able to do everything that way.
CLEM3NTE
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by CLEM3NTE »

Last question: Do I burn all three files? They are as follows:

- pso_patcher_cdda.cdi
- pso_patcher_ad.cdi
- pso_patcher_dd_cdi.
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

Where are you getting these files? It sounds like you're downloading from third parties, which you should generally avoid. What you want is this:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/sylver ... p/download

There is only one CDI in the zip archive. If your DC won't boot BlueCrab's image, try burning mine, instead:

http://psopalace.sylverant.net/download ... er_2-0.zip
"Fear the HUnewearl."
CLEM3NTE
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by CLEM3NTE »

Alright. I just downloaded your zip file, Aleron. Now I open the folder and ONLY burn the disc image to my CD-R? Or should I bring all the contents of the folder to the disc I'm burning?

Sorry if these are newb questions... just trying to get this right.
CLEM3NTE
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by CLEM3NTE »

When I right click the .cdi file and select "Burn Disc Image ... to Disc" it gives me the following error: "Could not burn "psodc_loader_2-0.cdi". The disk image is invalid." How do I circumvent this issue?
CLEM3NTE
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by CLEM3NTE »

Alright. Using Liquid CD, I was able to select the disc image. It shows two tracks. Should I burn the disc as it is right now or import any additional files to make this work?

EDIT: Sorry there is one response after another, I am trying to fix this issue in real time.
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

The CDI is a complete, self-contained clone of a single CD-R. You burn the CDI as an image to the disc: you do not add or remove any files, nor do you burn the CDI as a file. The CDI already has a complete filesystem inside it that the DC will understand.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
CLEM3NTE
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by CLEM3NTE »

Burned the CDI image to the disc. Put the disc in the Dreamcast. It came up similar to a music CD... saying there were two tracks, approximately 3:26 in length. It's not running the program like it should... what did I do wrong? I chose the disk image from LiquidCD, I select the psodc_loader_2-0.cdi file. It showed "2 Data tracks" in the description. I burned. Then inserted the disc into my Dreamcast...

I'm lost now. I'm sorry you have to deal with this instead of more important issues.
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

I can't really advise you on what might be wrong, since I have never tried to burn CDIs on OSX. You should try BlueCrab's image to see if that works, though.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
CLEM3NTE
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by CLEM3NTE »

I burned both. Same result. Takes me straight to the music player... I have access to a PC. How would you accomplish this with a PC? What program would you use, steps you would take, etc.?

I'll just do it all over and hope that the PC does it better.
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

I always use the DiscJuggler 4 demo:

http://psopalace.sylverant.net/downloads/dj4_demo.zip

Instructions for how to burn a CDI are here:

http://psopalace.sylverant.net/dreamcast_burn.html

Some people also like to use ImgBurn with the Padus CDI plugin, but I've never tried it.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
CLEM3NTE
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by CLEM3NTE »

Also, Aleron, I sent you a PM. Not sure if it was delivered... but it's in regard to a Doomsday scenario where I have you make a patched disc for me that I pay for.