Did my ignorance screw me? (serial number related)

Sylverant is a homebrew open source server for Phantasy Star Online. Dreamcast users still play PSO online with this server even today! This is the official forum for both the online game server as well as the open source project itself. Feel free to post and get a gathering started online! We can also show you how to get connected!

Moderators: BlueCrab, Aleron Ives

icedtrip
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Did my ignorance screw me? (serial number related)

Post by icedtrip »

A couple months back, I logged into Sylverant for the first time. I'm on a DC with a BBA. I have my legit copies of PSO v1 and v2 from back in the day. Never played v2, but owned it. When putting in the serial and access numbers I had with my v2, it didn't seem to work. I googled for some help and came across some other numbers. Not really thinking about it (old game not pinging sega servers, etc) I tried those numbers and voila, everything worked. Just today when creating a Sylverant account, I realized these are considered "shared serials". My 15-20 year old characters have now been converted over to v2 with these as my serial numbers. Are they now locked to these serial numbers?

The numbers I have for my v2 copy should have worked, and I'd like to use those instead. Is it possible to switch serial numbers on my characters, or am I out of luck. I read about the /save and /restore functions, but also read something about bank items not transferring. I have a lot of high level items in my bank that I don't want to lose. Any help is appreciated!
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Re: Did my ignorance screw me? (serial number related)

Post by Aleron Ives »

Yes, you're screwed. :? If you want to be able to participate in events, you have to make a new character and erase your Dreamcast's flash memory so you can use your original serials. If you don't want to lose your original characters, you could always buy a second Dreamcast and use that one for your new characters.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
KuromoriYu
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by KuromoriYu »

Your characters could be saved still, with a little work:

- get schthack's private PSO server
- use DC with wrong serial to connect to that on your PC.
- use "/save" command
(bank items...either take the "best 30", or use a 2nd client to transfer them (PCv2 version maybe)

now reset your serials on the dreamcast.
- recreate char (maybe same name needed...idk, i always did)
- connect to your private server again.
- "/save" (yes, save again)

- you will have 2 folders now, both containing a saved character. find out which belongs to which (last write time of file, the older is your char), and copy the real char over to the "new char" folder.
- now "/restore".
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

I can help facilitate the whole need for running your own server by moving the saved character data from one guild card number to another on Sylverant, so there's no reason to go through that whole song and dance.

That said, you will lose portions of your data, regardless of how you do it (offline progress, battle rankings, challenge ranking, all banked items).
icedtrip
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by icedtrip »

BlueCrab wrote:I can help facilitate the whole need for running your own server by moving the saved character data from one guild card number to another on Sylverant, so there's no reason to go through that whole song and dance.

That said, you will lose portions of your data, regardless of how you do it (offline progress, battle rankings, challenge ranking, all banked items).
That's good news! I don't care if I lose offline progress, battle rankings, and challenge ranking. I'm going to try and use a PC Client to move my banked items. I have 2 characters I'm needing to do this with. When I'm ready, I'll let you know. Thanks!!!!!!
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

icedtrip wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:I can help facilitate the whole need for running your own server by moving the saved character data from one guild card number to another on Sylverant, so there's no reason to go through that whole song and dance.

That's good news! I don't care if I lose offline progress, battle rankings, and challenge ranking. I'm going to try and use a PC Client to move my banked items. I have 2 characters I'm needing to do this with. When I'm ready, I'll let you know. Thanks!!!!!!
When you're ready, send me a PM on the forum here with the following information:
1. Guild card number that your old character has
2. Guild card number the server gives you when you register your real serial number/access key pair
3. The username you've used on the Sylverant website to register your serial number/access key under
4. What slot number you've saved your character(s) in (when you do /save on Sylverant, you have to give it a slot number -- you can have up to 4 characters saved per guild card number this way -- to save in slot 1, you'd type "/save 1" on the server, for instance, without the quotes, of course -- "/save 2" for slot 2, "/save 3" for slot 3, and "/save 4" for slot 4)

If you're going to do two different characters, please save both of them and tell me both the slot numbers (everything else will be the same for both).

Once you do that, wait for further instructions to come by PM. I'll transfer the data on the backend and tell you what to do from there. :wink:

As an aside, I've been wanting to make a part of the website to do this without me manually having to do the transfer, so this might actually give me the impetus to do so. :wink:
icedtrip
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by icedtrip »

BlueCrab wrote:
icedtrip wrote:

When you're ready, send me a PM on the forum here with the following information:
1. Guild card number that your old character has
2. Guild card number the server gives you when you register your real serial number/access key pair
3. The username you've used on the Sylverant website to register your serial number/access key under
4. What slot number you've saved your character(s) in (when you do /save on Sylverant, you have to give it a slot number -- you can have up to 4 characters saved per guild card number this way -- to save in slot 1, you'd type "/save 1" on the server, for instance, without the quotes, of course -- "/save 2" for slot 2, "/save 3" for slot 3, and "/save 4" for slot 4)

If you're going to do two different characters, please save both of them and tell me both the slot numbers (everything else will be the same for both).

Once you do that, wait for further instructions to come by PM. I'll transfer the data on the backend and tell you what to do from there. :wink:

As an aside, I've been wanting to make a part of the website to do this without me manually having to do the transfer, so this might actually give me the impetus to do so. :wink:

PM sent.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

I saw it. I'll get back to you tomorrow on it, once I finish with the website stuff to deal with it. :lol:
icedtrip
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by icedtrip »

All set!!! Thanks a lot!