Wiki for Developers

Sylverant is a homebrew open source server for Phantasy Star Online. Dreamcast users still play PSO online with this server even today! This is the official forum for both the online game server as well as the open source project itself. Feel free to post and get a gathering started online! We can also show you how to get connected!

Moderators: BlueCrab, Aleron Ives

Post Reply
Wilhuf
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:52 am

Wiki for Developers

Post by Wilhuf » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:43 am

Major edit:

Several like-minded people got together and set up a PSO developer's wiki here: http://sharnoth.com/psodevwiki/
Public daily backups can be found here: https://github.com/jakeprobst/psodevwikibackup

Everyone can make use of it and is encouraged to contribute to the wiki. To contribute, all you need to do is make an account and you can start writing! Daily backups are made in the form of git commits to a public Git repository. This way anyone can easily replicate the wiki and the information will be available and free forever. No single person should ever control this wiki, the information belongs to the entire community.

If you have ideas for improving the wiki, let's discuss them here or on any of the other forums this thread has been posted:
Ephinea: https://www.pioneer2.net/community/thre ... pers.4577/
SchtServ: https://community.schtserv.com/topic/14 ... evelopers/
Sylverant (DCEmulation): viewtopic.php?f=75&t=104164
Ultima: https://www.phantasystaronline.net/foru ... evelopers/

I'd also like to thank Jake (ToasterMage) for hosting the wiki!
Last edited by Wilhuf on Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
Aleron Ives
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
Posts: 727
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:15 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Wiki for Developers

Post by Aleron Ives » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:22 pm

Speaking of wikis, we used to have one on SourceForge, but it seems to be gone now. :cry:
"Fear the HUnewearl."
Image
User avatar
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord
Posts: 5249
Joined: Mon May 27, 2002 11:31 am
Location: Sailing the Skies of Arcadia
Contact:

Re: Wiki for Developers

Post by BlueCrab » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:27 pm

Aleron Ives wrote:Speaking of wikis, we used to have one on SourceForge, but it seems to be gone now. :cry:
You mean https://sylverant.net/wiki/ ? That has nothing to do with SourceForge, and everything to do with the fact that I forgot to restore that database when I moved the server. I'll add that to the ever growing list of things to do when I have free time. :wink:

The only stuff on the actual SourceForge wiki was the stuff that was on the Google Code one (the list of commands in Sylverant, for instance).

EDIT: It's back up. Turns out I did already do the db stuff, and all I had to do was install some php extensions to make it work again.
User avatar
Aleron Ives
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
Posts: 727
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:15 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Re: Wiki for Developers

Post by Aleron Ives » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:53 pm

BlueCrab wrote:The only stuff on the actual SourceForge wiki was the stuff that was on the Google Code one (the list of commands in Sylverant, for instance).
Yup. I went to get the URL for the command list page for somebody, and the wiki told me I had to log in to even view the wiki main page.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
Image
User avatar
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord
Posts: 5249
Joined: Mon May 27, 2002 11:31 am
Location: Sailing the Skies of Arcadia
Contact:

Re: Wiki for Developers

Post by BlueCrab » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:25 pm

Aleron Ives wrote:
BlueCrab wrote:The only stuff on the actual SourceForge wiki was the stuff that was on the Google Code one (the list of commands in Sylverant, for instance).
Yup. I went to get the URL for the command list page for somebody, and the wiki told me I had to log in to even view the wiki main page.
That's still there (https://sourceforge.net/p/sylverant/wiki/FAQs/ should get you to the page in question)...

I never actually made a main page for that, since the Google Code one had no need for it.
Wilhuf
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:52 am

Re: Wiki for Developers

Post by Wilhuf » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:30 am

A couple of us got together and we decided to set up a DokuWiki here: http://sharnoth.com/psodevwiki/. It's hosted by ToasterMage, thank you Jake!
BlueCrab wrote:
Aleron Ives wrote:Speaking of wikis, we used to have one on SourceForge, but it seems to be gone now. :cry:
You mean https://sylverant.net/wiki/ ? That has nothing to do with SourceForge, and everything to do with the fact that I forgot to restore that database when I moved the server. I'll add that to the ever growing list of things to do when I have free time. :wink:

The only stuff on the actual SourceForge wiki was the stuff that was on the Google Code one (the list of commands in Sylverant, for instance).

EDIT: It's back up. Turns out I did already do the db stuff, and all I had to do was install some php extensions to make it work again.
This is a great resource, thanks for making it public! We actually talked about it but decided to create a server-neutral wiki to be able to share information across the entire community without bias. We also couldn't add to it without contacting you and there seems to be no easy way to copy/backup/archive your wiki. We want to make sure there's a dev wiki that can be easily backed up and restored in another location when the current host loses interest or decides to remove it for some reason. We're planning on making these backups available via e.g. a public git repository.

Would you mind if we copied over any information on the Sylverant wiki that we're missing to this new one? And would you consider joining us there or help figure out how we can make a wiki for everyone? Nothing's set in stone and any input is greatly appreciated.

Edit: And also thank you so much for the Sylverant code base. It's written very clearly and has thought me a lot about PSO's technical side.
Wilhuf
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:52 am

Re: Wiki for Developers

Post by Wilhuf » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:51 am

We now have periodic public backups of the wiki on this repository: https://github.com/jakeprobst/psodevwikibackup. Again, thank you Jake (ToasterMage) for setting this up!
User avatar
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord
Posts: 5249
Joined: Mon May 27, 2002 11:31 am
Location: Sailing the Skies of Arcadia
Contact:

Re: Wiki for Developers

Post by BlueCrab » Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:55 pm

I don't mind information being copied over, as long as it's properly cited. Keep in mind that there is a bit of stuff on my wiki that I didn't put there (mostly stuff about Gamecube/Episode III), so take a look at the history on pages to know whom to credit for the information.

Also, some of the stuff is probably somewhat wrong for non DC/PC versions (i.e, a bunch of the stuff on the 0x60/0x62 packet pages).
Post Reply