USB-GDROM PSO Patcher?

Sylverant is a homebrew open source server for Phantasy Star Online. Dreamcast users still play PSO online with this server even today! This is the official forum for both the online game server as well as the open source project itself. Feel free to post and get a gathering started online! We can also show you how to get connected!

Moderators: BlueCrab, Aleron Ives

Post Reply
JohnnyPhantom
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:08 pm

USB-GDROM PSO Patcher?

Post by JohnnyPhantom » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:02 am

Hey Everyone,
I have a dreamcast with a BBA and I've been using a pre-patched CD-R to get my retail copy of PSO v2 working on my Dreamcast and I LOVED it. so simple and easy peasy to use. Recently I've purchased a USB-GDROM for my Dreamcast. So I've been ripping all my Dreamcast games to GDI format on my PC to put onto a USB stick and play on my now installed USB-GDROM Dreamcast. (So I have the disc.gdi, track01.bin track02.raw. and track03.bin files for each of my PSO games). So how do I connect to the server now? I'd like to use the PSO patcher to patch my GDI files and just launch the game off the USB and be in, but 2 questions, 1) how do I patch my disc dumps? 2) is the PSO patcher on Sylverant's site still work since the server was just moved?

Thanks everyone! Can't wait to see you all online again!
~John
User avatar
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord
Posts: 5250
Joined: Mon May 27, 2002 11:31 am
Location: Sailing the Skies of Arcadia
Contact:

Re: USB-GDROM PSO Patcher?

Post by BlueCrab » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:56 pm

I would guess as long as you have clean dumps, the patcher will work, assuming that switching discs can be done somehow and that you switch directly from the PSO Patcher to the game (I guess they'd have to be one-after-the-other on the drive -- I don't have one of these USB devices, so I can't make any promises here).

As for whether it works or not, yes, it still works. The patcher didn't use IP addresses for PSO, so there's no problems with the server move (since it still has the same sylverant.net hostname).
JohnnyPhantom
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:08 pm

Re: USB-GDROM PSO Patcher?

Post by JohnnyPhantom » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:12 am

I know theres a way to swap discs with the USB GD-ROM so thats easy to do, just curious if there's a way to just patch the game files I have to eliminate the swapping all together
User avatar
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord
Posts: 5250
Joined: Mon May 27, 2002 11:31 am
Location: Sailing the Skies of Arcadia
Contact:

Re: USB-GDROM PSO Patcher?

Post by BlueCrab » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:56 am

There are no tools out there to do it, but I'm sure one could do so.
JohnnyPhantom
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:08 pm

Re: USB-GDROM PSO Patcher?

Post by JohnnyPhantom » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:44 am

Ah thanks for the info, I'll just keep it the way it is now with the "disc" swap method, works just fine in my USB GD-ROM so no complaints. I'll wait until someone smarter than I can make a self booting patched game patcher thingy :P

Thanks again for all your help!
User avatar
Aleron Ives
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
Posts: 728
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:15 pm
Location: California
Contact:

Re: USB-GDROM PSO Patcher?

Post by Aleron Ives » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:17 pm

JohnnyPhantom wrote:I'll wait until someone smarter than I can make a self booting patched game patcher thingy :P
If you're saying that you don't want to deal with disc swapping, I've already made a pre-patched copy of the game that will connect to Sylverant directly.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
Image
czeluff
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:43 pm

Re: USB-GDROM PSO Patcher?

Post by czeluff » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:51 pm

Aleron Ives wrote:
JohnnyPhantom wrote:I'll wait until someone smarter than I can make a self booting patched game patcher thingy :P
If you're saying that you don't want to deal with disc swapping, I've already made a pre-patched copy of the game that will connect to Sylverant directly.
I tried to locate this, but was unable to find it. Could you point me into the right direction?
User avatar
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord
Posts: 5250
Joined: Mon May 27, 2002 11:31 am
Location: Sailing the Skies of Arcadia
Contact:

Re: USB-GDROM PSO Patcher?

Post by BlueCrab » Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:12 pm

czeluff wrote:
Aleron Ives wrote:
JohnnyPhantom wrote:I'll wait until someone smarter than I can make a self booting patched game patcher thingy :P
If you're saying that you don't want to deal with disc swapping, I've already made a pre-patched copy of the game that will connect to Sylverant directly.
I tried to locate this, but was unable to find it. Could you point me into the right direction?
Linking to disc images and the like is against the forum rules.
Post Reply