Might take a break from PSO for a while...

Sylverant is a homebrew open source server for Phantasy Star Online. Dreamcast users still play PSO online with this server even today! This is the official forum for both the online game server as well as the open source project itself. Feel free to post and get a gathering started online! We can also show you how to get connected!

Moderators: BlueCrab, Aleron Ives

BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Re: Might take a break from PSO for a while...

Post by BlueCrab »

byte.me wrote:BTW, do you allow fabricated SNAKs in Sylverant or are people required to register real ones?
You must use legitimate serial number/access key pairs.

Quoth the registration page for Gamecube:
DO NOT attempt to register any "shared serials" with this system. If you do, and I find out (which I will), you will be permanently banned from this server.
By registering a serial number access key pair here, you are certifying that you actually own the corresponding copy of the game, and you agree that you will provide proof of ownership if it is requested by the administration of the server.
byte.me
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by byte.me »

^ Okay, cool. Yeah, I've read that before. I was just rechecking. Anyway, a friend of mine might jump into PSO with me, eventually, but he doesn't have a copy of the game. I have two copies (vanilla and Plus), but since one SNAK is enough for both games, could I let him use the SNAK that I'm not using even when it's been registered to my Sylverant account? He'll be playing it on Dolphin.
My Hunters:
Chadha Birdy (RAcast, ORAN - Main) - Lv 140
Metatron (HUcast, SKYLY) - Lv 80
Shaider (RAmar, PURPLENUM) - Lv 91

Steam, XBL, PSN - bytemedeep
Skype - johann.bird
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

That's fine, or you could just de-register one of them from your account and let him register it to his own. I'd recommend doing it that way -- de-register it from your account and let him register it himself. :wink:
byte.me
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by byte.me »

^ All right, I'll do that instead. Thanks!
My Hunters:

Skype - johann.bird
Treamcaster
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Treamcaster »

Yo dude, if I were you I'd change the thread's name to something like: "Returning to PSO :D"... there's so much new stuff going on right now!! This is not the time to step back! :twisted:
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

It's easy to bypass the wireless restriction: buy a $20 wireless router and connect it to your PC with an Ethernet cable. The TAP adapter will be connected to your Ethernet card, but you can still operate the PC wirelessly by linking the router to the cable/DSL modem over Wi-Fi.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
byte.me
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by byte.me »

Treamcaster wrote:Yo dude, if I were you I'd change the thread's name to something like: "Returning to PSO :D"... there's so much new stuff going on right now!! This is not the time to step back! :twisted:
What new stuff? Is it about the recent "Server Event" post? Yeah, it kind of feels like I never really left because I'm still posting messages here in the forums. :D
Aleron Ives wrote:It's easy to bypass the wireless restriction: buy a $20 wireless router and connect it to your PC with an Ethernet cable. The TAP adapter will be connected to your Ethernet card, but you can still operate the PC wirelessly by linking the router to the cable/DSL modem over Wi-Fi.
Hmm... Yeah, I might consider that next time; I think Dolphin can take a backseat for now. I found someone selling first-party MCs today (a 59 and a 251 block) and I'll likely get them tomorrow. I prefer playing on the actual hardware, anyway. No bugs and no workarounds to deal with. I might still try it on Dolphin at some point, though, just to see how well my laptop handles it for long periods.

So thanks for the help, everyone! I'll be seeing you again soon in PSO! :)
My Hunters:

Skype - johann.bird
Treamcaster
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Treamcaster »

byte.me wrote:
Treamcaster wrote:Yo dude, if I were you I'd change the thread's name to something like: "Returning to PSO :D"... there's so much new stuff going on right now!! This is not the time to step back! :twisted:
What new stuff? Is it about the recent "Server Event" post? Yeah, it kind of feels like I never really left because I'm still posting messages here in the forums. :D
We got new quests ;)
byte.me
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by byte.me »

^ Nice. I think I need to level up a bit before I could be useful in those. ;)

Hey, have we played before? I have a character named "Birdy" on my first save, which then became "Birdy Mk. II" when that save got corrupted. I'm still thinking about what name I should give my first character (for the third time, sigh).
My Hunters:

Skype - johann.bird
Treamcaster
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Treamcaster »

byte.me wrote:^ Nice. I think I need to level up a bit before I could be useful in those. ;)

Hey, have we played before? I have a character named "Birdy" on my first save, which then became "Birdy Mk. II" when that save got corrupted. I'm still thinking about what name I should give my first character (for the third time, sigh).
I don't think so. But from what I can tell, we're gonna play soon with your new character!
byte.me
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by byte.me »

^ Ooooohh! Someone I haven't seen yet. Are you new? I'm guessing you're not, based on the number of posts you've made here in the forums. I hope you play on GC so we could team up some time. Else, we could always hang out in the lobby. I'll probably go back into the game in a day or two. I already have my new character set up with a name. It's a tad pretentious, but whatevs. :)
My Hunters:

Skype - johann.bird
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

That was fast delivery on the new memory cards. :o
"Fear the HUnewearl."
byte.me
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by byte.me »

^ Yep, already have them. Usually we get the package a day or two later if it's sent on the same day. It's only local courier, anyway.
My Hunters:

Skype - johann.bird
Treamcaster
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Treamcaster »

byte.me wrote:^ Ooooohh! Someone I haven't seen yet. Are you new? I'm guessing you're not, based on the number of posts you've made here in the forums. I hope you play on GC so we could team up some time. Else, we could always hang out in the lobby. I'll probably go back into the game in a day or two. I already have my new character set up with a name. It's a tad pretentious, but whatevs. :)
Not new, but since I haven't been around lately and I mostly played PSO DC... however since the GC population has grown quite a bit lately, and with all the new quests, I am excited to get back on it.
Sir Rappington
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Sir Rappington »

Yeesh. TAP doesn't work with wireless now? I guess I would've noticed that in my own tests, but the LAN cable didn't work either because my laptop is Win10. I guess this is just more proof that the laptop will only ever be able to play offline, because I'll be damned if I start lugging around an entirely different router just for that purpose. :P
Old GC player from ~05-08, casually playing a new set of chars on Dolphin. Messages over Discord will find me fastest :)

Capt.Durple (RAmar, high ult lvl)
LaserLemon (HUnewearl, high ult)
Winterleaf (FOmarl, mid ult)
Pocket Tank (HUcaseal, mid ult)
Tin Can Dan (RAcast, mid ult)
Dr. NOPE (FOnewm, mid ult)
OliverLeo (HUmar, low ult)
Firebolt (RAmarl, low ult)
DivineArbor (FOmar, VH)
Moonbow (FOnewearl, VH)
byte.me
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by byte.me »

Treamcaster wrote: Not new, but since I haven't been around lately and I mostly played PSO DC... however since the GC population has grown quite a bit lately, and with all the new quests, I am excited to get back on it.
Yeah, you definitely should. GC players are also the most active PSO players I've seen so far.
Sir Rappington wrote:Yeesh. TAP doesn't work with wireless now? I guess I would've noticed that in my own tests, but the LAN cable didn't work either because my laptop is Win10. I guess this is just more proof that the laptop will only ever be able to play offline, because I'll be damned if I start lugging around an entirely different router just for that purpose. :P
Haha, yeah. I never thought I'd have more problems after finally making it to PSO's title screen. Glad I hardly move my laptop around these days.
My Hunters:

Skype - johann.bird
Otto Baus
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Otto Baus »

Hey, bumping this topic because I came across some information which is somewhat relevant regarding memory cards.

I always bought 1st-party Official Nintendo brand memory cards because we all know that they're the best, right? Except they aren't, and it doesn't matter. Here's why: those official cards I bought are not really Nintendo brand after all. They're apparently cheap imitations.

I found a thread (http://www.gc-forever.com/forums/viewto ... =26&t=2474) where this was discussed, and it got me curious. So I broke out a tri-wing screw driver and disassembled both of my official Nintendo brand memory cards. Both of which came new in factory-sealed packaging with Nintendo's Seal of Quality. One was bought at a shop locally many years ago and the other online more recently.

While the outer casing of the ones I own and use are very nearly identical to official cards, the internals are certainly not. Without taking your cards apart, the only tell-tale difference is that legit cards would have a circular depression with a raised dot inside on the underside of the card just to the left of the Nintendo logo near the bottom. Neither of mine have this. If you do take them apart, it becomes obvious which are real or not because the actual ones have Nintendo's trademarked logo printed onto the PCB, as well as DOL-64MC for the legit 1019 block version. Neither or mine use Samsung chips, either, though one did have a recognizable Chinese brand I have seen elsewhere (Newegg I think).

Anyway, none of this matters because neither have ever failed, and one of those being after several years of use. Moreover, I believe that based on my personal findings, it is very likely that the majority of memory cards in use are probably not official ones.
HotteLunch - HUcast
Gaijin - RAcast
MintChip - FOnewearl
MAGz - extra bank storage character; RAmarl currently
tueidj
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by tueidj »

Otto Baus wrote:Anyway, none of this matters because neither have ever failed, and one of those being after several years of use. Moreover, I believe that based on my personal findings, it is very likely that the majority of memory cards in use are probably not official ones.
Yep. I think there's a thread somewhere on that same forum where I said I've been using cheap (16MB/2043 block) knock-off cards for nearly 10 years and none of them have ever failed.
byte.me
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by byte.me »

Nooooooo! I wanted this thread to disappear into obscurity. :( Hehehe.
My Hunters:

Skype - johann.bird