GC BBA issue

Sylverant is a homebrew open source server for Phantasy Star Online. Dreamcast users still play PSO online with this server even today! This is the official forum for both the online game server as well as the open source project itself. Feel free to post and get a gathering started online! We can also show you how to get connected!

Moderators: BlueCrab, Aleron Ives

Daione
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

GC BBA issue

Post by Daione »

I'm trying to connect using my BBA on my Gamecube at a college campus, which I had no issues with last year. I played a little online at home with no issues, but I come back to college after winter break and all of a sudden, error message 102. I have not touched the provider settings since I signed up here, and this is the first time I've run into this problem. I'm probably glossing over some simple issue, but any helpful input would be greatly appreciated.
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Re: GC BBA issue

Post by Aleron Ives »

College Internet is mostly a crapshoot when it comes to online gaming. If you haven't changed any settings on the GC, then something on the college's side has changed, and since you don't have access to the dorm's router or the school's modem, there isn't much you can do, aside from finding somewhere else to get Internet access. Considering PSO uses so little bandwidth, you might even have better luck tethering the GC to a mobile phone for Internet access than trying to use the campus ISP.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
Daione
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
Been thanked: 0

Post by Daione »

I kinda figured that's probably what's going on. I'll try out some other options and see where that gets me. Thanks!
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

I know that when I lived in a college dorm, I was basically forced to have my own router set up in order to do anything with my Dreamcast or Gamecube that required network access.

Of course, the university didn't look too kindly on all of us setting up wifi routers in the dorms and "banned" them at some point (they said that we weren't allowed to have them, but didn't actually enforce that rule at all)... Obviously that didn't really stop very many people from having their own routers set up. :wink:
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

What good does having your own router do if the college itself has a poorly configured network higher up the food chain?
"Fear the HUnewearl."
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Aleron Ives wrote:What good does having your own router do if the college itself has a poorly configured network higher up the food chain?
The problem on the network at the university I attended was that you had to log in with a web browser every time you got onto the network. Thus, the Dreamcast and Gamecube couldn't ever access the network because they would never be able to get to the captive portal login page.

Having a router made it appear as though that traffic and the traffic of my laptop were from the same device, since the router was the device with the network address from the university. Thus, I only had to log in again when the router was rebooted, and I could do that from my laptop. :wink:
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

Ah, I was thinking about port blocking, throttling, and weird routing problems that cause connection failures and poor performance. Some univerisities forbid using their dorm Internet for various activities, and there isn't much you can do to get around it if their filters block the game you want to play.
"Fear the HUnewearl."