New Problem, GC on Wii

Sylverant is a homebrew open source server for Phantasy Star Online. Dreamcast users still play PSO online with this server even today! This is the official forum for both the online game server as well as the open source project itself. Feel free to post and get a gathering started online! We can also show you how to get connected!

Moderators: BlueCrab, Aleron Ives

bhd1223
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New Problem, GC on Wii

Post by bhd1223 »

Hello again,

So I got things up and running well with my new characters. My higher level old characters exist on a second memory card. I can connect on the first memory card with my new characters which is the first I set up. On my second memory card with the exact same settings I can't connect to the server. Is this something with 2 different "save identities" trying to use the same SN and Key? Is there some work around for that? Can I just copy the network "save" from the working one to non-working one? Is it possible there is another issue causing this? I can still connect with zero problem using the first memory card with the new characters. Seems kind of strange. Anyone else experience something similar?

Thanks!
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Re: New Problem, GC on Wii

Post by BlueCrab »

There's nothing server-side preventing you from getting on, so I'd guess it's something with the network settings. I don't see why copying them from the first card (that works) to the second one would cause any problems, so that's probably the right course of action.
bhd1223
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by bhd1223 »

Well copying just results in what's considered a corrupt network file. For some reason I get to the dialing screen and it mentions sending user name and password. I don't recall this ever happening with the other card. Not sure why it's different. Mentions not being able to connect to server. Quite odd.
bhd1223
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by bhd1223 »

Tried a few different things. No luck. Even tried using the settings off the good card, still didn't work. Maybe you can't use the same SN and Key for two different save files? Has anyone successfully done that?
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

You made both save files separately, right? You can't copy the network file from one memory card and use it on another, or anything like that. You can use the same serials on as many memory cards as you want, as long as you format each memory card and set up the network parameters separately; it appears that something on the bad card is corrupt, and you may have to reformat it in order to fix it. Are you using Devolution's memory card emulation? If so, you might want to try physical memory cards. If the network file is the only thing that's corrupt, then you're running afoul of PSO's copy protection somehow. You should delete the network file completely and start over if PSO doesn't accept it, as you can't repair a broken network file.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
bhd1223
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by bhd1223 »

Yes, they were both separate files from quite a few years ago, as in when the game came out. Once I got back to my old hardware a couple days ago, I set up the network for one of the cards. Worked no problem, still works no problem. Then yesterday I tried setting up the other card which has my higher level characters on it. Makes it to the dialing screen, then says it can't connect. I was guess this was a devolution issue since that's the only username and pw that gets resolved. Tried the first cards and works with no issues.

Go back to other card, reset the settings, still nada. Delete the network file, copy from first, no dice. Delete again, reset from in game, nothing. Try to connect through the settings on the "good" card. Still won't work. Not sure what's up. Seems quite strange.

Just swapped back to the "good" card again and not a single issue. Connect with zero issue. Neither card I have is nintendo, both are 3rd party. I have some nintendo cards coming in that I'm going to move these game files onto. Maybe it's something with that other card itself. Time will tell. Hopefully both will work with no issues after the transfer. I'm sick of inputting my SN and Key for now, I'll wait until those arrive when I set up the network setting from scratch on both.
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

It's possible that your saves got damaged from copying them between cards. You can't do that legitly, after all. Devolution has to hack the saves to make them valid, or else the characters won't load. It's also possible that your broken card is damaged from the low quality flash memory on third party cards. They're notorious for corrupting PSO characters, so even if you get them working, it isn't a good idea to play online with them.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
bhd1223
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by bhd1223 »

The only thing I copied was the networking file. Thankfully I backed up everything straight away once I got the Wii "hacked." I've only played the new characters since then on the "good" card so with that problem free I'm not too worried. I didn't really have plans to play online with the older characters anyway, wanted to start from scratch, minus equipment and all, which I can transfer offline no problem. I just thought it might be fun to do some higher level stuff online, but it's not like it takes too long to level up to where I was. Highest level is 79 at the moment, opened up to Ultimate Caves. My currently planned "main" is sitting at I think 21 right now, slowly working through all the quests on normal before I beat normal.

On another note, I was able to successfully emulate the good card with devolution, then transfer the farther advanced emulation back to the good card. Was able to get online both ways with no issue. Still works fantastically. I figure that as long as I can do that I should have no issue with worrying about corruption if I back up every so often so I don't ever lose much time. Sadly it seems to only emulate a slot A card so I can't set both up for offline multiplayer equipment transferring. That's the only reason I ordered some new cards.
bhd1223
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by bhd1223 »

New cards came quick. Got home a few hours ago and they were waiting in the mailbox. Just restored them with the other card PSO files, set up new network settings fresh, both work without a hitch. Fantastic!