Questions regarding Download quests, new quests and NPCs.

Sylverant is a homebrew open source server for Phantasy Star Online. Dreamcast users still play PSO online with this server even today! This is the official forum for both the online game server as well as the open source project itself. Feel free to post and get a gathering started online! We can also show you how to get connected!

Moderators: BlueCrab, Aleron Ives

bordering
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Questions regarding Download quests, new quests and NPCs.

Post by bordering »

Hi! Hopefully I made the right choice in making this a stand alone topic rather than putting it in the PSO Questions & Answers thread, but if not then I’m sorry-- just let me know! I had quite a few questions on this topic that may generate discussion so I thought it would be appropriate.

Regarding Download quests (or “Down Load” quests as they’re called in game): one of my main hopes in getting online again was to download some quests I’m missing. For example, I have Phantasmal World 4 downloaded onto only one card only and would like it (and the other PWs-- none of which I have) downloaded onto more. I -think- I downloaded them from Schthack a long time ago (it’s been about nine years since I last played much so my memory is hazy). I do appreciate that they’re available for online use on Sylverant but it’s too hard to play online alone (which I often prefer to do as I listen to audio books while playing which is too distracting in multiplayer games and, also, I can only play online at times which do not seem to be populated on this server as I live in Northern Europe).

I guess my questions on this subject are:

1. Will all quests ever be available for download on Sylverant?
2. If not, then can someone possibly explain to me how to transfer them between cards? My partner is a programmer and played around with some of the quest files in a hex editor but couldn’t get them to work (it ended up corrupting the quest file section). Maybe step by step instructions would help.
3. Or might it be possible to download them from somewhere other than Sylverant or have them sent via email? That would be better as I am missing quite a lot of them! I’m using Devolution on Wii to play the Gamecube version.

Regarding new quests: thanks to all who are making them! It’s great to see new content being added. :)
1. Is that one that says something like ‘TEST, don’t use’ still in active progress?
2. How deep does one’s knowledge have to be to create new quests? I’m sure I’d never be able to do it but my partner is usually pretty good at figuring stuff like this out (albeit is almost entirely lacking in experience in this specific area) and has expressed some interest in possibly looking into it.

Finally, about NPCs:

1. I really love the feature where you can play with NPCs in the normal game-- that’s awesome! It was sad when I found out that you can’t use them in quests. Is this something that could be implemented or is it just impossible?
2. Is there a list somewhere of which number corresponds to which NPC? I tried searching and didn’t find anything.
3. Currently it seems they only really work for full runs of areas that don’t have any doors wherein two players have to be on a switch in order to progress. Is it possible to make them follow you a bit less closely? Is that what [follow_id] is supposed to be for? Often, that would work to open many (but not all) two person switch doors. Or would it be possible to implement a command to make them stay put?

Sorry if that was very long (or in the wrong section of the board)! But thanks to anyone who reads it and/or has some input into some of it. I’m just very excited to see that PSO is still alive. Thanks again to you all for keeping it that way! :)
K_I_R_E_E_K
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Re: Questions regarding Download quests, new quests and NPCs

Post by K_I_R_E_E_K »

If you mean the test quest on vega, i was the intermediary between the person who ported the quest and the ship owner (impulse) but since i am not related with dc-talk anymore the fixing of the quest depends on those 2 and their ability to talk to each other, last time i spoke with the one that ported the quest i reported an issue with an object being out of place, causing an certain section of the map not being accessible, rendering one of the endings impossible to achieve.
I did make a video with all the ending possible, but that's because i went trough the walls and was able to gather the missing fuel.

The quest was placed on a test category because it did receive changes atleast once (it was at the time being tested afterall), but it has since then remained like that, it's up to the ship admin to decide if they want to continue the quest in that category for one more year, 10 more years or 100 more years.

Population wise you are out of luck, you may be able to squeeze out a few more users on this or another server, on this or another time, but never expect to see full lobbies and you can't expect so many ppl to do those quests because you want them to, it will be hard to find anyone but you can share when you will be online and what would you like to do, then maybe you may find some ppl who can connect and join your games.

As for quest making, there are some tutorials on eden server, as well as some support, tips, programs, quest packs and so on.
http://forum.edenserv.net//viewforum.php?f=21
You might be able to learn a great deal from the quests already available in the game.
Last edited by K_I_R_E_E_K on Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

We don't offer the online quests for download, as the point of playing PSO in online mode is to be social, and the online quests are a benefit of playing online. It's also cheap to play many of the online quests offline, as offline enemies are much easier, so you can level really quickly if you play quests with lots of enemies in offline mode (not to mention some quests don't even work right in offline mode and can damage your save data by preventing you from unlocking areas).
bordering wrote:1. Is that one that says something like ‘TEST, don’t use’ still in active progress?
It was as of Friday. ;)
bordering wrote:2. How deep does one’s knowledge have to be to create new quests? I’m sure I’d never be able to do it but my partner is usually pretty good at figuring stuff like this out (albeit is almost entirely lacking in experience in this specific area) and has expressed some interest in possibly looking into it.
That depends on how interesting you want your quest to be. A simple killing quest such as Endless Nightmare is easy to make, whereas something along the lines of Garon's Treachery is incredibly complex.
bordering wrote:1. I really love the feature where you can play with NPCs in the normal game-- that’s awesome! It was sad when I found out that you can’t use them in quests. Is this something that could be implemented or is it just impossible?
Spawning NPCs breaks some quests, so it's forbidden. It also can make some quests a lot easier than they should be, since NPCs act as free meat shields. As such, you can't use /npc in legit mode, either.

bordering wrote:2. Is there a list somewhere of which number corresponds to which NPC? I tried searching and didn’t find anything.
Here you go. :P

Code: Select all

00: NOL
01: CICIL
02: CICIL
03: MARACA
04: ELLY
05: SHINO
06: DONOPH
07: MOME
08: ALICIA
09: ASH
0A: ASH
0B: SUE
0C: KIREEK
0D: BERNIE
0E: GILLIAM
0F: ELENOR
10: ALICIA
11: MONTAGUE
12: RUPIKA
13: MATHA
14: ANNA
15: TONZLAR
16: TOBOKKE
17: GEKIGASKY
18: TYPE:O
19: TYPE:W
1A: GIZEL
1B: DACCI
1C: HOPKINS
1D: DORONBO
1E: KROE
1F: MUJO
20: RACTON
21: LIONEL
22: ZOKE
23: SUE
24: NADJA
25: ELENOR
26: KIREEK
27: BERNIE
28: CHRIS
29: RENEE
2A: KAREN
2B: BEIRON
2C: NAKA
2D: LEO
2E: HOUND
2F: MADELEINE
30: VALLETTA
31: BOGARDE
32: ULT
33: TYPE:I
34: TYPE:V
35: TACHIBANA
36: OSMAN
37: VIVIENNE
38: BP
39: SHINTARO
3A: KEN
3B: TAKUYA
3C: SOKON
3D: UKON
3E: CANTONA
3F: HASE
bordering wrote:3. Currently it seems they only really work for full runs of areas that don’t have any doors wherein two players have to be on a switch in order to progress. Is it possible to make them follow you a bit less closely? Is that what [follow_id] is supposed to be for? Often, that would work to open many (but not all) two person switch doors. Or would it be possible to implement a command to make them stay put?
The follow_id is your slot number. NPCs need to know which slot to follow, or else they don't work right. Their behaviour is 100% controlled by the client and can't be changed.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
Kayak
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Kayak »

As far as transferring quests through different memory cards, it can't be done, and doesn't need to be done. If you have both cards inserted while playing, you should be able to play the quests on the slot B memory card if the SN/AK are the same on both cards.
Characters:
Kayak L200
Kat L200
Kate L200
Submarine L200
Magic Boat L200
Banan@ Boat
Jarrett
Katey
Tow Boat
Sir Rappington
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Sir Rappington »

If Schthack ever had DL versions of the stock quests posted, it was after the time I spent there. You probably got them elsewhere. And it's true that several other currently-active PSO (or at least PSOGC) servers have DL versions available, so if you're so motivated to get them, they are available. When I wanted a way to play EN4 offline a while back, I was able to find a copy without too much trouble (I would post server names here but I have a feeling Ives would chafe at that :P ).

For what it's worth, the current Sylverant community has enough players (again on GC at least - not sure what version(s) you play) to be able to do a run most nights, if you come on at the right times. Offline versions are useful if literally no one is on and you can't get anything done solo... which does happen... but when possible, playing the quest with others should definitely be prioritized.
Old GC player from ~05-08, casually playing a new set of chars on Dolphin. Messages over Discord will find me fastest :)

Capt.Durple (RAmar, high ult lvl)
LaserLemon (HUnewearl, high ult)
Winterleaf (FOmarl, mid ult)
Pocket Tank (HUcaseal, mid ult)
Tin Can Dan (RAcast, mid ult)
Dr. NOPE (FOnewm, mid ult)
OliverLeo (HUmar, low ult)
Firebolt (RAmarl, low ult)
DivineArbor (FOmar, VH)
Moonbow (FOnewearl, VH)