PSO History

Sylverant is a homebrew open source server for Phantasy Star Online. Dreamcast users still play PSO online with this server even today! This is the official forum for both the online game server as well as the open source project itself. Feel free to post and get a gathering started online! We can also show you how to get connected!

Moderators: BlueCrab, Aleron Ives

Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

PSO History

Post by Aleron Ives »

I stumbled upon this interesting PSO-W article today:

PSO-World Site History

It lists notable events from the site's early days and the early days of PSO. Here's one interesting thing I found:

http://web.archive.org/web/200105222355 ... 34576.html

PSO GC was announced before Ver.2 was even out, and the GC version was originally expected to be Ver.2 (before the DC expansion was confirmed). The DC and GC versions were even going to be compatible in such a way that both DC and GC would have different obtainable items in order to encourage players to trade across platforms to get the items that wouldn't drop on their platform (in sort of a Pokemon-esque setup). Sega unfortunately abandoned this dynamic in response to the rampant cheating on DC:

http://www.pso-world.com/news/0829-gc-a ... ility-lost

and as we all know, all compatibility was eventually dropped, perhaps in order to give GC a "fresh start" away from the massive security flaws in Ver.1. Perhaps there are other interesting tidbits to be found here...
"Fear the HUnewearl."
Saffaya
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
Been thanked: 0

Re: PSO History

Post by Saffaya »

Greetings everyone.

Veteran player of PSO v1,v2, and Xbox, at your service.

I can personaly confirm everything you cite in your post. I was playing PSO back then and these informations were common knowledge and part of the discussions amongst players.

A real pity the cross-play couldn't be implemented as originally designed.

I am in a full PSO nostalgia trip right now and I am evaluating my options to play again.
I was wondering if I log into your server with my DC v2 characters, save them to the server by using the right command, can I play with them if I then use PSO PC to connect instead ?

The fact is I am extremely attached to my PSO characters and can't imagine playing without them, but using PSO on the PC would be much more practical.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

The server doesn't have a way to do that built in, but I don't see why I couldn't at least try to transfer the characters over to a PSOPC account. The main thing to note is that there's no way to transfer offline progress, play time, challenge/battle stats, or banked items. If you want to try to do that, just let me know by PM, and I'll help out where I can. :)

We'd be happy to have more old-time players. :grin:
K_I_R_E_E_K
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by K_I_R_E_E_K »

Well, there are a few share of tools you can use to recreate the items and the level of your character, if you want to play PSO PC with the PSO dc stuff then you can always send me a PM and i'll guide you in the process, i'll give you the tools and a detailed explanation on how to do it.
Saffaya
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
Been thanked: 0

Post by Saffaya »

That sounds like the best solution, thanks.

I'll install PSO PC soon and keep you informed.