Getting on w/Dolphin (GC)

Sylverant is a homebrew open source server for Phantasy Star Online. Dreamcast users still play PSO online with this server even today! This is the official forum for both the online game server as well as the open source project itself. Feel free to post and get a gathering started online! We can also show you how to get connected!

Moderators: BlueCrab, Aleron Ives

Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Re: Getting on w/Dolphin (GC)

Post by Aleron Ives »

When you bridge your Ethernet card to the TAP adapter, the new Network Bridge should have the same settings as the Ethernet adapter used to have before you installed the TAP adapter. (Once you make the bridge, you can't configure the Ethernet adapter anymore; you have to configure it through the bridge.)

In PSO, set the IP address of your virtual BBA to the next available IP address on your LAN (and one that isn't used by DHCP!). If your PC is 192.168.0.100, you'd set the BBA to 192.168.0.101, assuming nothing else is statically assigned to .101 and .101 isn't within the possible addresses that DHCP might try to assign. (Your router should tell you what the DHCP range is.) Your router probably assigns like .1 - .49, .100 - .149, .150 - .199, or .200 - .249 or something like that, so if you pick a number at least 50 above or below whatever your PC got assigned through DHCP, it's a pretty safe choice, but the best thing to do is to look up the DHCP range in your router to be sure you pick an address outside of the range it uses.

In PSO, the gateway/router should be the same IP address that your PC is using as its gateway/router on the bridge (the IP address of your router). The subnet mask is 255.255.255.0, and you know what to do with DNS 1.

You can bypass DHCP entirely this way, so you won't get error 15 anymore.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
Sir Rappington
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
Been thanked: 0

Post by Sir Rappington »

Yeah, I've done manual IP config, it's just been awhile. I thought you had to specify an IP within the DHCP range though, not out of it. But last time I remember doing it was like 10 years ago, so... :lol:

So I get past the burst screen now, but only to get error 102 on the lobby flyover (after the DNS server connection apparently times out).

I should note that I made this change to the memcard on the desktop where the file lives, because the laptop has this stupid glitch where the network settings screen just shows a blue wall and never loads. Anyway, I tried it on the desktop and managed to connect before using it on the laptop. After that failed, I tried setting a manual IP for the bridge and manually disabled every restriction I could find on the firewall. Still nothing, error 102.

I'm currently looking around for any kind of setting I missed in Win10 that overrides all this, because that sounds like the kind of BS Microsoft would pull. >_> But any other ideas would be appreciated as always.

EDIT: Tried running Dolphin as administrator and apparently it can't access the network drives when run that way. Wat...
Old GC player from ~05-08, casually playing a new set of chars on Dolphin. Messages over Discord will find me fastest :)

Capt.Durple (RAmar, high ult lvl)
LaserLemon (HUnewearl, high ult)
Winterleaf (FOmarl, mid ult)
Pocket Tank (HUcaseal, mid ult)
Tin Can Dan (RAcast, mid ult)
Dr. NOPE (FOnewm, mid ult)
OliverLeo (HUmar, low ult)
Firebolt (RAmarl, low ult)
DivineArbor (FOmar, VH)
Moonbow (FOnewearl, VH)
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

The networking features in Windows aren't really under the purview of either PSO or the Dolphin forums. I would suggest trying to make Dolphin connect without files shared over the network, as they may interfere with the TAP driver. I had problems with it not playing nicely with my network printer, and the only way I was able to stop new errors from appearing in the event log was to sacrifice the ability to print by uninstalling the printer driver and disabling the print spooler service.

I've read reports that Dolphin doesn't even like Windows 8 when it comes to using the TAP driver, so I wouldn't be surprised if Windows 10 doesn't work. I certainly wouldn't try to throw other variables into the equation, such as network shares, when trying to figure out whether Dolphin can go online at all under Windows 10.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
Sir Rappington
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Sir Rappington »

Ran in compatibility mode for Windows 7, as admin, using local copies of the files. No dice. Any other variables you think I could cut?

And let's be honest, anyone I ask about it from a Windows perspective would just cop-out and tell me it's a problem with the software. :roll:

EDIT: There seemed to be some people having a similar issue in some Win10 preview builds, but sadly this isn't my issue either (the missing registry key it refers to does exist on my system, albeit in the 0010 key rather than 0001). Damn it. Need to call it a night and do more searching at work tomorrow. XD
Old GC player from ~05-08, casually playing a new set of chars on Dolphin. Messages over Discord will find me fastest :)

DivineArbor (FOmar, VH)
Moonbow (FOnewearl, VH)
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

Run your own DNS server to see if Dolphin is even sending DNS requests. Sometimes when I try to connect I get DNS failure, and when I check the DNS log, Dolphin didn't even try to request the game server. If I try to connect again, then it works. The game always takes a ridiculously long time contacting the DNS server for some reason.

A lot of people are posting about various problems with Dolphin using Windows 10, mainly because Windows 10 GPU drivers aren't very good yet.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
Sir Rappington
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Sir Rappington »

Don't have any problems with the GPU, thankfully.

How would one run a DNS server, exactly? I haven't worked with any software which does that. And more importantly, if I were to find out that Dolphin was generally failing to send DNS requests, what could be done about it?

DivineArbor (FOmar, VH)
Moonbow (FOnewearl, VH)
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

You could use Dr. DNS, and BlueCrab has his own DNS server in the Sylverant code repository. If you find that Dolphin isn't sending DNS requests, then you know that the TAP adapter is broken either under Windows 10 or due to some other software you're running.

If you believe this SCHTServ post, OpenVPN's TAP driver doesn't work on Windows 8, and if that's true, it surely won't work under Windows 10, so your only solution is to install either Windows 7 or Linux on your laptop. (At least if you use Linux, you'll supposedly eliminate all the lag and slow quest loading problems that exist under Windows.)
"Fear the HUnewearl."
Kroniedon
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Kroniedon »

If this helps anyone at all, on Windows 8.1 I was able to connect perfectly, well to my server and my LAN based server... so long as I used the OpenGL graphics. If I used DirectX(anything) I would always crash when the DNS request was sent. Why the graphics options would have anything to do with that I haven't the foggiest idea, but so it did. I tested it with both NTSC 1.0 and NTSC Ep.3.

After "upgrading" to Windows 10, it became impossible to connect at all. It's not an issue in Dolphin but rather an issue with OpenVPN itself... or rather an issue with the OS preventing the TAP from acknowledging that OpenVPN is running.

In the picture you can pretty much see the problem. OpenVPN is running, but the TAP is perpetually in a "network cable unplugged" state. Admittedly I haven't tried much other than attempting to run OpenVPN in compatibility mode as a long shot, but that didn't work. Perhaps OpenVPN will release an update to fix this issue, or someone within the community will find a work around.
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

I'm pretty sure that the network cable always shows as unplugged in the Control Panel. The only time it might show as being plugged in would be when Dolphin is running and connected to online mode, as then the virtual BBA would be connected to the TAP adapter with a virtual Ethernet cable, so to speak. I don't think that has anything to do with why it doesn't work on Windows 10, but the fact that you can't get it to work, either, supports the theory that OpenVPN isn't compatible with Windows 10.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
Sir Rappington
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Sir Rappington »

Pretty much that. I even went out of my way to set the TAP adpater to "always connected" so it wouldn't show the network cable unplugged thing. No effect.

God damnit Microsoft.

DivineArbor (FOmar, VH)
Moonbow (FOnewearl, VH)