Wanting to get online for the first time (GCN)

Sylverant is a homebrew open source server for Phantasy Star Online. Dreamcast users still play PSO online with this server even today! This is the official forum for both the online game server as well as the open source project itself. Feel free to post and get a gathering started online! We can also show you how to get connected!

Moderators: BlueCrab, Aleron Ives

Nyraeus
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Wanting to get online for the first time (GCN)

Post by Nyraeus »

I'm looking for a way to get online so I can use my photon drops and stuff like that. :)
Sylverant seems to be like the best way for me to accomplish this? Though I will have to buy a BBA. ($100 on amazon :X)

I dug out the cube and PSO recently, me and my roommate played to level 9 and got wrecked by De Rol Le. He found a photon drop and I was sad to tell him that it was absolutely useless, so he sold it for 1000 meseta.

I guess I'm just looking for information and wondering how hard it is to get set up, so I can convince myself to buy the adapter. I was originally going to host my own server on my PC but it seems like that is difficult and not possible without some Dr.DNS file that no one has? I've just been googling, so I only have bits of information from forum posts made in 2007.
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Re: Wanting to get online for the first time (GCN)

Post by Aleron Ives »

Honestly it would probably be cheaper for you to buy a Wii and install homebrew on it, so you could use Devolution to go online. A Wii would cost you like $30 as compared to a BBA for the GC.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
Nyraeus
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Nyraeus »

That's kinda disappointing to hear. :\
Most of the Wiis I can see on Amazon for that cheap are used and don't have cords, missing panels etc. At around $50+ they seem to start having cords included. Which is still cheaper than the $100 BBA... Does the Wii have less issues with FSOD and such? (if that's even a big problem on GC?)
Maybe just playing Blue Burst on my PC would be the best option? I like the GC controller though :( Not to mention I've spent 500+ hours using it and growing accustomed.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

I know that I often see Wii consoles at thrift stores for relatively cheap prices (certainly less than what a BBA would cost, anyway). So, if you have any thrift stores around where you're at, you might want to check them out if you want to go the route of getting a Wii to set everything up.

I haven't heard any reports of particular problems with FSODs on the Gamecube version of the game, at least without people trying to play in teams with DC/PC users (which is inherently buggy and known to cause issues).
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

GC likes to FSOD online for no reason regardless of how you play it. The most common kind of crash happens when you teleport to Dark Falz or Olga Flow: the game will get stuck on the loading screen forever, so you'll have to cut the power ("Endless Warp").

Using a Wii has two other benefits: it's easy to make backups of your memory card with the Wii, so you can easily restore your items if you do crash online (since all of your unequipped items get deleted if you don't quit properly). It also allows you to use a normal USB keyboard to type, whereas a real GC will require you to find one of the rare keyboard adapters to be able to communicate online. It's still cheaper to get a GC online than to get a DC online, but using the Wii is even cheaper.

As for BB, it seems to be dying and rapidly losing its population advantage over GC as the various BB servers kick the bucket.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
kevlarAK
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by kevlarAK »

Conversely, you could play online, with your roommate. If you got the BBA for your GameCube, a Wii and installed Devolution. You would need two copies of PSO though, plus a wireless router.

I am considering the same. I have everything listed above, short of installing Devolution and tracking down a second copy of PSO. It would make for some fun online quests with my son for sure.
tueidj
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by tueidj »

You don't need two copies of the disc if you're using Devolution.
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

You need two serial numbers and access keys to get separate Guild Card numbers on Sylverant, though.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Aleron Ives wrote:You need two serial numbers and access keys to get separate Guild Card numbers on Sylverant, though.
Which is required for both people to play online at the same time. Just to finish the thought entirely. :wink:
Nyraeus
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Nyraeus »

Thanks for all the info and suggestions guys. :)
It looks like we're just going to play BB on our computers. It's not too terrible, but the aiming seems a little harder, I'm missing with spells more often than usual after turning around etc.
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

BB has a rather strange mechanic where you can rotate your character without moving your legs at all, which looks very strange. On Ver.1/2/3, you must take at least one step in order to change the direction you're facing. BB also allows you to start running after only one step, whereas Ver.1/2/3 require you to walk like three steps before you start running. :P

Set up a controller and it should become easier to handle. Be aware that BB servers tend to be buggy (e.g. Mag feeding and evolution won't always work right, so you can think that you've created a perfect Mag and then the next time you log on, it has different stats or is even an entirely different Mag), and if you're running your own server, you won't be able to play Challenge mode at all. Tethealla is more complete that Kohle's software, but neither of them has everything implemented.
"Fear the HUnewearl."