Gamecube Connection Issues

Sylverant is a homebrew open source server for Phantasy Star Online. Dreamcast users still play PSO online with this server even today! This is the official forum for both the online game server as well as the open source project itself. Feel free to post and get a gathering started online! We can also show you how to get connected!

Moderators: BlueCrab, Aleron Ives

BearLion358
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Gamecube Connection Issues

Post by BearLion358 »

Hi there, I just got the game Phantasy Star Online Ep 1 & 2 and a broadband adapter for my gamecube and am having trouble connecting. I created an account and registered the SN/AK and password on Sylverant and followed the instructions for how to connect a gamecube, creating a save file on a memory card and changing the DNS to the one provided.

Every time I try and connect though I get an error message and kicked. I bought the game off ebay so I'm wondering if maybe the SN/AK has already been registered in the past or if I'm too far to connect to the DNS server (I'm in California).

Thanks in advance for any help.
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Re: Gamecube Connection Issues

Post by Aleron Ives »

Which error do you get? If you're actually getting a Sylverant message saying you're not allowed to play, that would be strange. If PSO is failing to connect, then it probably means that you're not making it to Sylverant at all. Have you tried running your own DNS server?
"Fear the HUnewearl."
BearLion358
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by BearLion358 »

I'm not able to check right now to see the exact message cause I left my memory card at work today. I'm also not very savvy when it comes to setting up a DNS, do you know a link you would you recommend for a first timer with a mac.
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

Maybe BlueCrab can compile his DNS server for OSX. The simple ones I know about are for Windows.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
sixtenbruce
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by sixtenbruce »

I have also experienced this problem the latest month
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

If the firmware on your router allows you to do so, I'd recommend having it set up to send out the DNS responses needed by the game. I'm sure that I'm probably in the minority that have a router set up to do that in my house, but it is most definitely the best way to handle the DNS. Here's the configuration I have set up in my router (which will work with any router running DD-WRT and would probably work with other open-source firmware setups like OpenWRT and Tomato):

Code: Select all

address=/master.pso.dream-key.com/67.222.144.120
address=/game01.st-pso.games.sega.net/67.222.144.120
address=/pso.dream-key.com/67.222.144.120
address=/pso01.dricas.ne.jp/67.222.144.120
address=/game04.st-pso.games.sega.net/67.222.144.120
address=/pso-dc.ath.cx/67.222.144.120
address=/gc01.st-pso.games.sega.net/67.222.144.120
address=/pso-gc1.pso.playsega.com/67.222.144.120
address=/dctalk.ath.cx/67.222.144.120
address=/pso02.dricas.ne.jp/67.222.144.120
address=/pso03.dricas.ne.jp/67.222.144.120
address=/pso04.dricas.ne.jp/67.222.144.120
address=/pso05.dricas.ne.jp/67.222.144.120
address=/pso-gct01.sonic.isao.net/67.222.144.120
address=/pso-kr06.sonic.isao.net/67.222.144.120
With DD-WRT, this would go in the Additional DNSMasq options in the Services tab (you'd have to enable DNSMasq and Local DNS to make this work). Then, you'd just need to set your DNS server to be your router in order to make all that take effect. You would also probably need to enable the option Use DNSMasq for DNS on the Setup -> Basic Setup tab.

But, as I said, I'm sure I'm probably in the minority of people that have that kind of setup. If you have a machine running Linux anywhere on your network, you could also install DNSMasq on it, add the stuff up there into your DNSMasq configuration file, and set your Gamecube to use that as your DNS server.

Another option is to use the Sylverant DNS server software that I'm actually running on the main sylverant.net server. I don't have any pre-compiled Windows versions of it handy at the moment, but the source code is available here, and a binary version (along with the source) for OS X 10.10 (although it should work with earlier versions too, I'd imagine) is available here. Once you have that extracted, rename the pso_dns.conf.sample file to pso_dns.conf. On OS X or Linux, you'll need to put that file in a directory named /etc/sylverant. On Windows, you can just leave the file in the same directory as the program. Then run the program from a terminal (you'll need to use sudo or something like that to run it on OS X or Linux, as it must bind to a privileged port -- it'll drop root privileges immediately after binding, so don't worry about that).
BearLion358
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by BearLion358 »

Thanks for all the help guys, I finally got online. I feel really stupid but I had one of the numbers wrong in the DNS. Once I changed it, I was able to connect with no problem. I apologize for wasting your time.