Sourcing an original Blue Burst client installer and patch

Sylverant is a homebrew open source server for Phantasy Star Online. Dreamcast users still play PSO online with this server even today! This is the official forum for both the online game server as well as the open source project itself. Feel free to post and get a gathering started online! We can also show you how to get connected!

Moderators: BlueCrab, Aleron Ives

FOnewm
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Sourcing an original Blue Burst client installer and patch

Post by FOnewm »

Firstly, let's start with unreserved thanks to BlueCrab for the enormous amount of effort he's put into the Sylverant project over the years, and his level-headed contributions to this forum. From the entire PSO community: thank you very much, you're the best!

With Sylverant now supporting item drops in Blue Burst (Episodes 1&2), I'd like to try setting up a server and connecting with a Blue Burst client. I don't have a copy of the Blue Burst installer as was hosted on SEGA's official psobb.com site, and am therefore having to scour the internet to find an original copy. I'm uncomfortable using modified clients as provided by Schthack or Tethaella-running servers, as I've no guarantees that the modifications that have been made are legitimate. I don't want to use something that could contain malicious code!

I've so far stumbled across two files that look like original clients: one from a guide for running PSO in WINE ('Setup.exe', https://sites.google.com/site/winepso/) and another from a game demo repository which is marked as beta ('pso_blue_setup.exe', http://www.gamefront.com/files/3852355/ ... _setup.exe). These are both 522.9MB files but have different hash values - perhaps the client got updated slightly after beta. (MD5 for Setup.exe: 7bd255971aaa4b989fb73d36fc73d848, MD5 for pso_blue_setup.exe: 9c8024a0c8eda81ecc508931908a8fb6)

Furthermore, the WINE PSO site (https://sites.google.com/site/winepso/) links to a zip file containing a patch '1.24.3' that can be applied to the client.

My questions are:
- Does anyone have a copy of the original Blue Burst setup file provided on psobb.com? Does its hash match either of those above? If not, can it be uploaded to MEGA or somewhere so the community can benefit?
- Was 1.24.3 the last patch available for Blue Burst?
- Do the files within the 1.24.3 patch on the WINE PSO site (https://sites.google.com/site/winepso/) appear legitimate?

(Addendum: from BlueCrab's response here, I'm confident that discussion and provision of the Blue Burst client doesn't break any forum rules. Please correct me if not!)

Thanks
FOnewm
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Re: Sourcing an original Blue Burst client installer and pat

Post by Aleron Ives »

The official US client is 522 946 305 bytes and has an MD5 hash of 7bd255971aaa4b989fb73d36fc73d848, so one of those files is seemingly legitimate (although MD5 is not secure, so SHA-1 is better and matches the checksum on the WINE site -- d286caca6c62ab5146e055d2595ed68e8f55d269). Patches were always supplied by the in-game patch server, so there is no stand-alone executable patcher to get the latest version, AFAIK (not that you would necessarily want it, since it did annoying things like hide the Word Select menu). Sega was lazy and didn't bother to change anything after the open beta: the beta client and release client are identical. The Japanese version, naturally, got updated several times with various bug fixes and new items.

Of course, it isn't possible to play with an unmodified client, most likely, as a) it will want to connect to Sega's server, and b) GameGuard may kick you off. You'll have to use a hacked client and/or loader to disable GG, at the very least. Sylverant isn't exactly finished when it comes to BB support, so a lot of important things, e.g. being able to raise your Mag, won't work, thus making the game somewhat broken.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

As Aleron Ives said, Sylverant still isn't suitable for playing Blue Burst on. I can attest to that myself here. :wink:

Lots of stuff still doesn't work, and I'd really recommend against even trying to use Blue Burst on it. Unfortunately, I haven't had much time to work on Sylverant lately, so things are progressing rather slow (plus, Blue Burst support never has really been a focus for me anyway). Yes, server-side drops (for all versions earlier) were basically added as a stepping stone toward Blue Burst drops, but that's about the only step I've taken in that direction at all. :wink:
FOnewm
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by FOnewm »

Thank you both,

BlueCrab: I'm sure you'll make fantastic progress in the years to come. :wink:

Aleron: thanks, very useful information. I seemed to recall that patches were only supplied by the patch server so I'm curious about the contents of the 'manual' patch on the WINE PSO site. I'll look into it and report back.

Further questions:
- Is the JP client available? Does it have an English language option, or are there any patches to apply English language to it?
- For an unmodified client, is the source for this PSO launcher (http://transfer.fuzziqersoftware.com/launch.cpp) the best (or at least, most well known) way of dealing with GameGuard?
- Is anyone aware of any modified clients that are 'known trusted'?

Thanks again!
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

Sega segregated the regions after Japanese players learned to hate playing with Westerners on DC and GC, so BB no longer has support for multiple languages. The US client is in English, and the JP client is in Japanese, and those are your only two options. Schthack made a patch to add JP items to the US client, although that patch is no longer supported since the SCHTServ client now has many unofficial items in it that go beyond the extra items in JPBB.

There are Japanese installers, but none of them have the final version of the game, nor does Sylverant support the Japanese version at all, since an individual server cannot easily support more than one version at once. SCHTServ briefly supported both the vanilla US client and the patched client with JP items at the same time, but US support was dropped to prevent people from exploiting the bugs in the US version.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
legit nyck
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by legit nyck »

Damn I swear I didn't mean to intrude again but ...
How can a person want to play with a binary file of the original sega stating that he prefers not to use unofficial products for fear that it might contain malicious files to ...
what guarantee that person has that sega didn't use this type of file
as far as I know no good at all to use a native exe from sega if you don't be playing obviously sega servers,
everything I saw here was pure nonsense.
use a patch, exe or anything coming from sega to play on private servers lol thats insane doesn't match :roll:
PsO Brazilian Hunter RAmar
FOnewm
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by FOnewm »

Aleron: thanks very much.
Lee
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Lee »

I have a number of various version vanilla exe's but patched to disable gameguard, i did the patching myself from default sega exe's many of which ives supplied me with, if there's a specific version you want, say the last usa client exe i can dig it out for you.
FOnewm
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by FOnewm »

The last USA client would be great, thank you!
Lee
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Lee »

I don't have the full client installers, you'll have to source the data files from somewhere else i'm just talking about the executable for the game.
1.24.3 was the last usa version released officially for the north American client:

https://www.mediafire.com/?wxclhvnvlmbd61c

the only real difference between this and the 1.25.10 jpn version is that the new Japanese items do exist but are disabled in a list in the exe, when re-enabled they are missing special abilities or animations, there are some fixes to the performance of the client to relating to windows vista and 7.

When i scanned over the param files which came from server side it confirmed that that 1.25.10/13 and 1.24.3 basically use the exact same item data with just items disabled in the client exe, using their hex codes results in ??? items unless that is modified to allow them to exist.

Anyway this exe is vanilla with just the game guard patch so it will run, no cipher changes etc have been made so it won't work with sodas modified crypt changes either with his bb server