PSO Demos distribution?

Sylverant is a homebrew open source server for Phantasy Star Online. Dreamcast users still play PSO online with this server even today! This is the official forum for both the online game server as well as the open source project itself. Feel free to post and get a gathering started online! We can also show you how to get connected!

Moderators: BlueCrab, Aleron Ives

Treamcaster
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Been thanked: 0

PSO Demos distribution?

Post by Treamcaster »

I was messing around today with PC NTE version of PSO and managed to hex edit the IP to connect to Sylverants DNS server. Of course I got the serial number error message since the server doesn't allow unregistered users to login.

Is there any way we can log in to the server with this version? Is it possible to hex edit the .exe with a serial number? My guess is this demo doesn't recognize serial numbers because of its limitations? Maybe the server could make an exception to accept connections from this version?

In the legal point of view of things, would it be legal for Sylverant to share officially Sega released PSO free demos? Even if they are basic, I think it would be interesting to let the newcomers who don't own the original copy of the game, have a glimpse of what PSO is about, in a easy way. Not all people can be bothered to get the game via illegal means or even spend many $ to get it. This way people who hear about PSO and this server can visit Sylverants website and download a demo to try the game right away.

Any thoughts?
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter
Has thanked: 0

Re: PSO Demos distribution?

Post by Aleron Ives »

I've already poked BlueCrab a few times about supporting the PC NTE. It's not high on the priority list, but it will probably happen eventually. Hosting the PC Trial and PC NTE is legal, but I haven't put them on my site, since the NTE can't connect yet.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
Tymek
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: PSO Demos distribution?

Post by Tymek »

Aleron Ives wrote:I've already poked BlueCrab a few times about supporting the PC NTE. It's not high on the priority list, but it will probably happen eventually. Hosting the PC Trial and PC NTE is legal, but I haven't put them on my site, since the NTE can't connect yet.
Do you think you could send them to me for download?
I'd like to have them, for the future...
In my possesion:
PHANTASY STAR ONLINE EPISODE I & II (Gamecube)

PHANTASY STAR ONLINE EPISODE III:
C.A.R.D. Revolution (Gamecube)

PHANTASY STAR ONLINE
NETWORK TRIAL EDITION (Dreamcast)