PSO (& BB) ID Generator for Android 2.3-5.0

Sylverant is a homebrew open source server for Phantasy Star Online. Dreamcast users still play PSO online with this server even today! This is the official forum for both the online game server as well as the open source project itself. Feel free to post and get a gathering started online! We can also show you how to get connected!

Moderators: BlueCrab, Aleron Ives

eleriaqueen
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

PSO (& BB) ID Generator for Android 2.3-5.0

Post by eleriaqueen »

Hi, this is my very first app for android and it's an ID Generator for PSO and Blue Burst, here's a picture of it running on my Note 3 (download link below) :

I'd like people to try it out to know if it works on other devices than mine (tested on a TF701T too).

"Features" :

- Signed APK.
- Support for basically any language (see Todo list, only BB allows this normally... PSOPC/GC/DC only allow ascii characters in a character name)
- It is currently made to be compatible from Android 2.3 up to 5.0
- UI is minimal.
- The generated Section ID Text's color changes depending on the ID, here it's whitill so it's white.
- Contrary to that other similar (Google Play Store) app, I'm not missing a class in my dropdown selector...
- It runs on tablets too.

Download Link to version 0.9 APK : https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8zh5tmuvq7hf ... tSYpa?dl=0

Changelog :

0.9:
- Removed "Drop bias" Toast messages, seems useless in retrospect.
- Toasts have slightly shorter messages.
- Made UI a bit less lame overall.
- [Internal] Fixed a certain Logcat message that was way too long.

0.8:
- [Internal] Changed many Logcat messages

- Revamped toasts, some now last longer and have extended messages (like "For DC / PC / GC: English-only" or "For Blue Burst: Any-Language" when ticking/unticking the mode checkbox)
WARNING : don't go ticking/unticking and clicking on Generate like a mad person, or you'll see minutes of Toast messages appear at the bottom of the screen >_>

- "Generate" button now strips any non-ASCII character from input name when in pre-BB mode (thanks AmonX for the idea ^_-)

0.7:
- Built with Android Studio 1.0 (which added ~100 kb to the app for whatever reason... >_>)
- Modified a few character strings here and there.
- Now also built to support Android from 2.3 to 5.0 : Lollipop

0.6:
- Added a toast when clicking on the "Generate" button, which shows towards what kind of item the player's drops are going to be biased depending on generated Section ID. Example : Viridia => "Drop bias : Spread/Shotgun +"

0.5:
- Added a check for empty string when clicking on Generate, because in PSO you can't not have a name ^_^"
- Internal Change : Implemented proper OnClickListeners, the right way, took a while ...

0.4:
- Class selector now only appears in BB mode.
- Changed icon for a more fitting one. Still very much subject to change though.

0.3:
- mega.co.nz is having difficulties, switching to dropbox for the time being.
- Fixed a StringIndexOutOfBounds error.
- (Fix) Now I only remove 2 characters from input string when needed.
- Implemented Toasts (text bubbles) when switching between PSOBB and Pre-PSOBB mode. (12-character mode // 10-character mode)

0.2:
- Added a 12-characters and 10-characters limit to the input name depending on the calculation mode. (BlueBurst is 10, pre-BB is 12?)

Preliminary release.

ToDo :
Implement a filter which only allows ascii characters when Pre-BB is selected (kinda already implemented). (PSO PC, DC, GC need that, BB uses UTF-16... thanks AleronIves & BlueCrab)

"Section ID Calculator" by SuperSteve, found on NeoSeeker
Last edited by eleriaqueen on Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:32 am, edited 24 times in total.
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Re: Making a small PSO (& BB) ID Generator for Android 2.3-4

Post by Aleron Ives »

If you really want to be fancy, be sure to let users calculate BB IDs for non-English names. :mrgreen:
"Fear the HUnewearl."
eleriaqueen
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by eleriaqueen »

It -should- work regardless of what symbol is used but I really gotta check it out (probably by setting my OS language to "something fancy") :D

Edit:
It seems to work for japanese, kana and kanji. So it should work for any input language as (int) charAt(i) gives me an integer value even for extended languages ^_-
tried 愛 (love) with Hunewearl => Pinkal // こんにちは (good day) with Hunewearl as well => Greenhill, the calculation seems right but I'm comparing the end result to "Tails'" PSO ID thingy as well as "PSO-World" 's, so if those don't handle extended languages I'm SOL >_<.
eleriaqueen
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by eleriaqueen »

Alright I made a signed APK (with debug flag at the moment, so if you have logcat, it should say some stuff when used ^_^).

Hoping it works on an other device than mine especially a low-api device (Android 2.3 minimum) (tested on a Note 3 as well as a Transformer TF701T, but both are 4.4+...)
eleriaqueen
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Re: PSO (& BB) ID Generator for Android 2.3-4.4+

Post by eleriaqueen »

Updated first post and uploaded v0.2.
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

Your character limits are correct. BB sacrifices two characters for <tab>E/J language codes in names, which makes them behave more like speech bubbles and accept non-ASCII characters.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Of course, being that BB uses UTF-16LE for everything, tagging names with the language code is pretty much pointless. Silly Sega. :lol:
eleriaqueen
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by eleriaqueen »

That is comical indeed :)

-----

Updated first post with version 0.3

-----

I wonder, in PSOPC and BB, can you type in other characters than english ones and japanese ones ? taiwanese... cyrillic... etc ?
If not then I shouldn't allow those should I ?
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

PC and BB both allow you to communicate in any language, since they both use UTF-16 for chat and mail. PC shares DC's and GC's limitation that players can only be named with ASCII characters, however, so you only need to allow all possible Unicode characters for BB ID calculation, e.g. you can name yourself ♪ in BB, because that's a valid Unicode character.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
eleriaqueen
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by eleriaqueen »

Okay, so to make sure, JP versions of GC do not allow Japanese names ? (in all screenshot and footage I found of GC versions people used english names).
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

The Gamecube versions of the game, like DC and PC only allow ISO-8859-1 (I'm not positive, but it may be strictly restricted to the ASCII subset thereof) characters in names.
eleriaqueen
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by eleriaqueen »

Okay, it's not as easy as I thought it would be (to implement such a filter) on android. Moving that to the ToDoWhenSkilledEnough list :D
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

You're not allowed to use the IME when naming your character (or when entering a team password), so you can only enter characters that have physical keys on your keyboard. I don't know if you can enter non-ASCII characters directly, since my keyboard doesn't have any. Somebody with a European keyboard could try it, but I'm pretty sure it won't work, because I've never seen anyone with a non-ASCII name on versions prior to BB.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
eleriaqueen
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by eleriaqueen »

Uploaded 0.4, changed stock android icon for a redria-shaped (and colored) one, and now app only shows class-selector when in BB mode.
eleriaqueen
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by eleriaqueen »

Uploaded 0.5 APK, added a check and changed the way I (internally) handle clicks on some UI elements.
AnthonyAce
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by AnthonyAce »

Thanks for this, works well! Should be in every serious PSO player's pocket.
eleriaqueen
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by eleriaqueen »

Thanks AnthonyAce, what device did you try it out on ? (Brand + Model + OS Version) if it's not too much to ask ? ^_^"
eleriaqueen
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by eleriaqueen »

Added version 0.6 APK to my dropbox. I added a toast when clicking on the "Generate" button, which shows towards what kind of item the player's drops are going to be biased depending on the Section ID generated. Example : Viridia => "Drop bias : Spread/Shotgun +" it saves some time, no longer is it needed to have a guide open to make sure you didn't screw up when choosing your SectionID.
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

It still is, at least on GC and BB. People usually pick their IDs based on the rare items unique to that ID and which monsters drop them, rather than which regular items that ID drops most frequently.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
eleriaqueen
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by eleriaqueen »

Oh you're right...