problems finding the sylverant ships

Sylverant is a homebrew open source server for Phantasy Star Online. Dreamcast users still play PSO online with this server even today! This is the official forum for both the online game server as well as the open source project itself. Feel free to post and get a gathering started online! We can also show you how to get connected!

Moderators: BlueCrab, Aleron Ives

craehn
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

problems finding the sylverant ships

Post by craehn »

Hi! I'm new to this forum but not to the game. Feels great to finally be playing it again! :)
Now to my problem. I have set up everything and i've been able to get online on my Dreamcast, but when I do I can only see the schthack-ships. I have no idea why since i've set up my bba with the sylverant dns. :S
Does anyone know what the problem is and how to fix it? I wanna play on your server! :(
68kdude
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Re: problems finding the sylverant ships

Post by 68kdude »

Hello craehn,

I had a similar issue a while back. I had to set the DNS server in flashrom to 8.8.8.8 . Then I burnt a Sylverant patcher disc with Disc Juggler. Disc files are available from here https://code.google.com/p/sylverant/downloads/list

Hope this helps. If you have difficulties I'm sure we can sort them.

Good luck

68kdude
PSO Character:

Electron - lvl 172 RAcaseal - GC# 13874
Kasworon - lvl 144 HUmar - GC# 13874
Yucchan - lvl 130 FOnewearl - GC# 13874
craehn
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by craehn »

Hi 68kdude, and thanks for a swift respons!

So i have to use the patcher disc to get it to work? Because i'm using a downloaded version at the moment and read in a thread that it only works on the original gd-rom.. (I hate myself a little bit for downloading it, but i HAVE bought on ebay and just wanted to start playing right away and not have to wait for it to arrive :P )
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Recent CD-R copies of the game will almost always be customized to one of the servers out there. You got one that was customized to Schthack's server, thus why it is always directing you there.

That said, the easiest thing to do, as has been already indicated is to use a retail copy of the game and the PSO patcher disc. That's the only way to ensure you won't run into the various problems that all CD-R copies of PSO have (like crashing any time someone loads into the game while you're not on Pioneer 2, and the various quest-related problems they all have as well). I'd honestly recommend waiting until you get your retail copy from ebay, especially since you'll want to use the serial number and access key that it comes with so that you can register it properly on the server for the extra features that will give you (like automatic character backups).
craehn
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by craehn »

Hi BlueCrab!

Okay, thanks for clearing that up for me! I guess I will just have to wait then.

Two small follow-up question: Do i have to clear some kind of memory on the dreamcast to enter the new sn/ak? And if so, will I have to start over with a new character?
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

If you entered a shared serial into your Dreamcast's flash memory in order to play with the burned copy, you will need to reset your flash memory and start new characters to use the serials that come with your retail copy.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
K_I_R_E_E_K
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by K_I_R_E_E_K »

BlueCrab wrote:like crashing any time someone loads into the game while you're not on Pioneer 2.
Not true, according to reports dating years ago (around the time sylverant was appearing) testing was conducted to determine flaws or bugs in autoconnect disks (to resume ives wasn't interested in autoconnect disks, let alone test them, use them and so on), players were getting FSOD in all areas of the game including pioneer and sometimes players were not getting a FSOD anywhere.
I did had a theory which i didn't mention because i wasn't sure and in the end i wasn't. I found someone (that's all it takes) who pretty much confirmed i was wrong and so i never actually mention it to the public. I was carefull not to mislead anyone.
For all intents and purposes the cause of the FSOD is unknown, you can ignore ives theory just like many ppl did years ago, no idea why that still comes to the surface really.
Yes i understand, but you have to realise i and others haven't FSODed in forest and that i and others have FSODed in pioneer, how you explain that? No it's not ISO related (before you suggest it)
Please, don't spread that theory any further.
Two small follow-up question: Do i have to clear some kind of memory on the dreamcast to enter the new sn/ak? And if so, will I have to start over with a new character?
Your chars are connected to a snak, it's like a password that unlocks the game disk and the chars for you to play, i believe you can get an original disk and use your old chars, you just need to be sure that the snak to unlock the chars (that is the priority) is a snak accepted by the disk.
Your chars are PAL chars (as an example), if you get a PAL disk then you can input your old SNAK and that will unlock both the disk and the char i believe.
If you get an US disk then only US snaks work, that will make you either lock the disk (can't play) or lock the chars (can play, but you need to start over)
I may be wrong here, but i believe that's how it works.

Char backups, if you are unable to use the server for char backups ( a command will trigger the auto backup) then you can get another memory card, create a dummy char on it and then before you quit game progression on your other char, you switch memory cards and you keep saying that you want to save the game on your memory card, eventually the game will accept (after 4 or 5 tries) and you will have 2 memory cards with your save, obviously one will be newer, consider it as a save state number 2.
If you FSOD, you can go offline, make another backup fast and then go online again, just make sure you never go online with 1 save, if you lose that then you can't backup anymore. (i mean you can backup, but will you backup a char with no weapons?)
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

K_I_R_E_E_K wrote:Yes i understand, but you have to realise i and others haven't FSODed in forest and that i and others have FSODed in pioneer, how you explain that? No it's not ISO related (before you suggest it)
Please, don't spread that theory any further.
And yet, I haven't heard of any widespread reports of FSODs with official GD-ROM copies of the game for many years -- only with CD-R copies, and pretty much only when people are joining the game. Yes, there were lots of FSODs when Sylverant first came about, as would be expected while I was still in a period of heavy debugging, but these have long since gone the way of the Dodo -- except for those with CD-R copies of the game.

It's pretty clear to me that playing the game from a CD-R is to blame.
K_I_R_E_E_K
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by K_I_R_E_E_K »

Yes, but the problem was specifying an area as the culprit when that is not the case, areas cannot avoid FSOD, there is no safe area, pioneer will not prevent FSOD.

Why it happens on cd-r copies? no idea, i don't know and i don't pretend that i do.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

K_I_R_E_E_K wrote:Yes, but the problem was specifying an area as the culprit when that is not the case, areas cannot avoid FSOD, there is no safe area, pioneer will not prevent FSOD.

Why it happens on cd-r copies? no idea, i don't know and i don't pretend that i do.
Pioneer 2 seems to be more likely to be safe to many people than other areas, at least.
K_I_R_E_E_K
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by K_I_R_E_E_K »

No, not really.

If the majority of the players that didn't fsod played as a humar, then can i assume that beeing a humar ingame makes you more likely to avoid a fsod? no.
It does seem that ppl are safe in an area as opposed to another, does it matter? no. Players simply record that "moment" in pioneer, but non fsod situations have appeared more times that you can imagine, there is no "likelihood".

I'm talking about situations that are even pre sylverant, you know, when dc-talk had a private server of his own and autoconnect disks were made for the community?

The reason in unknown, trust me, i tried to find a pattern, failed and that's why i have no clue.
Some players might actually take that advice and the results will be as expected, a fsod causing an inventory loss and obviously they will blame whoever gave that advice.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

From the reports I've gotten, there have certainly been less FSODs when players are on Pioneer 2 than when they are on Ragol. I can only state what I've observed from the reports I've gotten, which is all I'm doing here.

That all said, I still maintain that the best way to prevent FSODs (and really the only way to play that's worthwhile, in my opinion) is to play with an original GD-ROM of the game.