PSO GameCube Trial Versions Scouting Report

Sylverant is a homebrew open source server for Phantasy Star Online. Dreamcast users still play PSO online with this server even today! This is the official forum for both the online game server as well as the open source project itself. Feel free to post and get a gathering started online! We can also show you how to get connected!

Moderators: BlueCrab, Aleron Ives

Cranberry
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

PSO GameCube Trial Versions Scouting Report

Post by Cranberry »

I was recently told that this server supports the trial versions of GameCube. As I have both the Episode 1 & 2 and Episode 3 trials, I loaded them up and tested them out.

Episode 3 Trial:
The Episode 3 trial was able to successfully connect. By default it took me to lobby 1 GameCube lobby. I was able to use the teleporter to reach one of the C.A.R.D. lobbies.

Inside the C.A.R.D. lobby, there is no jukebox. Aside from that, it mostly looks the same as the regular version. Standing at one of the tables would disconnect me. Trying to access download quests from the ship select would also disconnect me. If I was disconnected, it would not return to the title screen. I would get to a blank black screen and I'd then have to reset the GameCube.

Attempting to create a game resulted in a FSOD.

Episode 1 & 2 Trial:

I found a free dial-up ISP for this and it worked. I was able to connect. This game only supports dial-up; won't even boot the game if you don't have a modem installed. This game is a lot more stable than Episode 3 is.

There are no GameCube lobbies, only the V2 ones. Attempting to create a game was successful. I am given the choice of Episode 1 or 2 but no matter what I choose, I end up in Episode 1.

Forest Cave, and Mine are unlocked right off the bat.

I cannot see the games made by other GameCube players on the regular GameCube version, and they can't see games I made either.

More testing to come.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Re: PSO GameCube Trial Versions Scouting Report

Post by BlueCrab »

The Gamecube trial versions are only partially supported, and as you've noticed the Episode I & II trial works a lot better than the Episode III one (of course, that's also true about the non-trial versions).

The Episode III trial actually works almost as well as the full version of Episode III, actually. About the only difference is that the jukebox works on the full version and you can actually create a team. Once you create said team, just about everything else is still unimplemented on the full version. :wink:

The Episode I & II trial is an interesting beast, actually. It acts a lot like the Dreamcast versions of the game, actually -- to the point where the server actually identifies it on connection as Dreamcast Version 2. That's why you can't see other Gamecube teams and why you can't start an Episode II team.

I will eventually get some time to work on things, and I intend to work on the trial versions a bit more (as I have both of the Gamecube trial versions, as well as the Dreamcast trial version). Unfortunately, I haven't had all that much time for working on Sylverant lately. :?
Jack L.
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Jack L. »

Where you guys finding these trials? I'm intrested in checking them out but have yet to see any PSO trial on eBay.
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

You have to import them from Japanese or Chinese auction sites, and they are by no means common items anymore.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
Jack L.
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Jack L. »

I''ll have to see if I can Google a guide for how to pay on such a site.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Usually, you have to go through some sort of proxy service in the country where the site is located. Basically, you pay someone else to buy the item for you, ship it to their business/residence/whatever, then for them to ship it to you.

When I bought the Episode I & II trial and Episode III trial, I used such a service to buy them from the Chinese site Taobao. The games themselves came to about $10 total for both, but the fees associated with the proxy service along with shipping drove that price up considerably. I ended up spending about $30 total on them, which is still significantly cheaper than I've ever seen either of them for on Ebay.

At the moment, I don't see any copies of any of the trial versions on Taobao (Gamecube or Dreamcast), just for reference.

EDIT: Also, for reference incase you try to buy these from a site where you can't read the language properly, this post has pictures of my copies of the games to help you identify if you've found the right versions of the game or not. The Episode I & II trial clearly says "Trial Edition" in English and Japanese both on the disc and the manual, whereas the Episode III trial only says it in Japanese. The Episode III trial has very different cover art on the manual though, so it is pretty easy to pick it out when you see it.
Jack L.
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Jack L. »

Awesome, I''ll keep an eye on taobao then. Thanks!