Online with Reicast or NullDC

Sylverant is a homebrew open source server for Phantasy Star Online. Dreamcast users still play PSO online with this server even today! This is the official forum for both the online game server as well as the open source project itself. Feel free to post and get a gathering started online! We can also show you how to get connected!

Moderators: BlueCrab, Aleron Ives

Didi
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Online with Reicast or NullDC

Post by Didi »

Why we cannot (as of February 6, 2014) to use any Dreamcast emulators (including NullDC and Reicast) to connect to Sylverant?
Passatempo favorito: Jogar os diversos PSOs
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Re: Online with Reicast or NullDC

Post by BlueCrab »

Because no Dremcast emulators emulate the Broadband adapter or modem to the point where one can actually connect. That is to say it isn't a restriction of Sylverant but rather of the emulators that are currently available as of the time that I wrote that.

I had received questions asking how to set up an emulator to play, that's why that message was added to the connection guide. :wink:
Didi
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Didi »

BlueCrab wrote:Because no Dremcast emulators emulate the Broadband adapter or modem to the point where one can actually connect. That is to say it isn't a restriction of Sylverant but rather of the emulators that are currently available as of the time that I wrote that.

I had received questions asking how to set up an emulator to play, that's why that message was added to the connection guide. :wink:
Ah yes I did, found it locked, I really tried to make this setting on emulators and have not had any success.
Passatempo favorito: Jogar os diversos PSOs
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

Supposedly Dolphin's BBA emulation is good enough now that you can play PSO GC online with the emulator, but no DC emulators are that advanced yet.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
Indiket
DC Developer
DC Developer
Been thanked: 0

Post by Indiket »

Supposedly Demul should be able to use BBA for PSOv2, but YMMV to get it working :)
IcemaX
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by IcemaX »

Demul emulates BBA and can connect to Sylverant.
MetalliC
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by MetalliC »

Yep, Demul emulates BBA since version 0.58 (july 2013) and using it can play on Sylverant server. US PSO, EU PSO, EU PSO Ver2 connects fine.

only US PSO Ver2 wont connect, game says "line was disconnected due to network error(s)" for some reason. does it works then connecting from real Dreamcast ?

Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

You must use CB codes to disable the Hunter's License check in JPv1, JPv2, and USv2, or you'll get the "network errors" message when trying to go online. If Demul doesn't have a built-in cheat feature or can't emulate disc swapping to make a CB image work, you won't be able to go online with a GDI of those three discs.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
MetalliC
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by MetalliC »

thanks for explanation, I'll try to use CB cheats, or find patched image.

btw, if I tried to take side quest from girl on screenshot above - game hangs or emulator crashes, is this related to HL-protection or its emulator issue ?
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

If quests don't load at all, then the emulator is broken.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Just so everyone is aware, any bug reports filed for bugs noticed while using an emulator will ask the person asking about them to try with a real console. If the bug cannot be replicated on the real console then it is not a server bug.

I won't investigate anything using an emulator, since it is far more likely that any bugs you might find with it are bugs in the emulator and not on the server itself. Please report such bugs to the author of the emulator.

I have the same feelings toward playing PSO in an emulator as I do trying to debug homebrew Dreamcast programs in an emulator. It's kinda silly, especially since you won't be able to easily figure out where any bugs you find might actually lie. I don't want to seem mean or anything like that in regard to this, but it's really the only way for me to keep my sanity. I don't write the emulators in question and don't really have anything to do with them at all, so I can't do anything to fix problems in them.