Alright Sylveranters, walk me through on how to set up PSO.

Sylverant is a homebrew open source server for Phantasy Star Online. Dreamcast users still play PSO online with this server even today! This is the official forum for both the online game server as well as the open source project itself. Feel free to post and get a gathering started online! We can also show you how to get connected!

Moderators: BlueCrab, Aleron Ives

NinSEGA
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Alright Sylveranters, walk me through on how to set up PSO.

Post by NinSEGA »

Since Schthack is hopeless, I have been redirected here. Considering you guys would more than likely want more than 2 people playing at a time, this is what I have to connect-

1. US Dreamcast
2. US copies of PSO ver.1 and PSO ver.2
3. BBA HIT-0400
4. Planetweb 3.0 and a VMU

What's missing are the steps to get connected. I'd like a Code Breaker/Action Replay-free walkthrough for PSO ver.1 if possible, and I've come to the conclusion that they are required for ver.2. The steps for ver.2 will be an afterthought in the meantime, and I know some configurations need to be changed in ver.2 in order for ver.1 to work.

Okay, shoot.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Re: Alright Sylveranters, walk me through on how to set up P

Post by |darc| »

I responded to your thread on AssemblerGames, but here it is again:
I wrote:If you want to play on Sylverant, just download the Sylverant PSO Patcher disc from here:
https://code.google.com/p/sylverant/downloads/list

Burn it and use it as a swap disc before you load up PSO.
This disc will work with both PSOv1 and PSOv2 without any problems. No Code Breaker needed.
However, keep in mind this will only work with retail GD-ROMs and not burned/pirated copies (and if you need to purchase it, PSOv2 US is like $10-$15 on eBay brand new/sealed nowadays).

This is assuming that you have already set up your Broadband Adapter settings normally with PlanetWeb 3.0. If you can browse the internet fine with PW3.0 and the BBA, you should be able to connect to Sylverant using the swap disc.
It's thinking...
NinSEGA
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by NinSEGA »

Is a swap disc the ONLY method to getting this working? I'd prefer not resorting to the swap disc method if at all possible.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

NinSEGA wrote:Is a swap disc the ONLY method to getting this working? I'd prefer not resorting to the swap disc method if at all possible.
It depends.

for PSOv1, you have three options:
1. edit your BBA DNS server settings to a special DNS server that routes the PSO traffic to Sylverant (DNS IP is 67.222.144.120),
2. use a Code Breaker code
3. use the Sylverant patcher disc

for PSOv2, you cannot do #1 because PSOv2 required a "Hunter's License" (credit card payment to Sega) and thus this functionality needs to be patched out. You can still use a Code Breaker or the Sylverant patcher disc though.

However, the Sylverant patcher disc is by far the best way because it patches more than just the code to connect to the server, it also fixes some game bugs with Ultimate mode. And it is free. Is there a specific reason you want to avoid using it?
It's thinking...
NinSEGA
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by NinSEGA »

|darc| wrote:1. edit your BBA DNS server settings to a special DNS server that routes the PSO traffic to Sylverant (DNS IP is 67.222.144.120)
Steps, please.

|darc| wrote:Is there a specific reason you want to avoid using it?
Because sometimes I like being difficult.

Although I do realize that this is the only way to get ver.2 working.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

NinSEGA wrote:
|darc| wrote:1. edit your BBA DNS server settings to a special DNS server that routes the PSO traffic to Sylverant (DNS IP is 67.222.144.120)
Steps, please.

|darc| wrote:Is there a specific reason you want to avoid using it?
Because sometimes I like being difficult.

Although I do realize that this is the only way to get ver.2 working.

Load up PlanetWeb 3.0 and go into the settings and change DNS server #1 to that IP address and leave the other DNS servers blank.

I don't have a PlanetWeb 3.0 disc so I can't really say beyond that.
It's thinking...
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

With the US or EU versions of PSOv1, there's no difference between using the patcher and using the DNS trick. With those two versions, the only thing patched is the server hostname.

With the EU version of PSOv2, you can still use the DNS redirect to get online, assuming your system can boot EU region games. However, since the patcher fixes the missing ultimate mode maps, it is still recommended for those versions.

For all the other versions, you need to use the patcher disc or a Codebreaker to defeat the Hunter's License check.

I, of course, always recommend using the patcher disc over using Codebreaker, as well, I wrote it and I'd prefer if nobody tried to come online with other Codebreaker codes enabled. :wink:
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

You found your way here, so that's a good first step. :P

It is technically possible to play a retail Ver.2 online without needing to swap discs, but most people don't have the setup necessary to do it. You need a PAL Dreamcast, a copy of EUv2, and a BBA. Since most people have USv2 and a US Dreamcast (and don't want to switch the region to PAL), it won't work for them. You can also use a CD-R copy of the game to connect automatically, but many players dislike using them, because they have problems with freezing when other players join your team. A GD-ROM of Ver.2 is more stable, but JPv2 and USv2 require disc swapping to go online. You can bring USv1 online by simply setting DNS 1 to 67.222.144.120 when you configure the BBA, though.

If you bought a used Dreamcast, the first thing you should do is reset the flash memory, in case the system was used with PSO in the past. A tool like this one should work.

After that, connect your modem, boot PW 3.0, and go into the ISP settings. Enter a fake username, password, and number to dial for your "ISP", and save the information to the internal flash memory. Once that's done, swap the modem for the BBA and boot PW 3.0 again. This time, configure your BBA network settings, using 67.222.144.120 as DNS 1. The other settings depend upon your home network environment.

Once you've set up the BBA, insert USv1, and it should ask you for your serial number and access key. Enter the ones from your game case, and you should reach the title screen. Make a new character and select online mode.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
NinSEGA
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by NinSEGA »

Alright, now THESE are the responses I was looking for. Thank you and sorry for being difficult. I just got aggravated with nobody actually giving me a step-by-step setup.

As for a 'used Dreamcast', would my Dreamcast that has only had 1 owner (me) and was originally connected to the SEGA servers count as one that needs to be flashed?
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Aleron Ives wrote:You can also use a CD-R copy of the game to connect automatically, but many players dislike using them, because they have problems with freezing when other players join your team.
Also because they're illegal. :wink:
NinSEGA wrote:As for a 'used Dreamcast', would my Dreamcast that has only had 1 owner (me) and was originally connected to the SEGA servers count as one that needs to be flashed?
Nope. You should be fine.
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

NinSEGA wrote:As for a 'used Dreamcast', would my Dreamcast that has only had 1 owner (me) and was originally connected to the SEGA servers count as one that needs to be flashed?
If you've used the Dreamcast yourself to play on Sega's server with the unique serials from your game case, then you do not need to reset the flash memory, assuming you still have your game case with the same original serials. If you were also using the modem to play with this Dreamcast back then, then you still have a dial-up ISP configured and can skip straight to setting up the BBA. The other steps may be useful if the day comes when you have to replace your Dreamcast, though.
BlueCrab wrote:Also because they're illegal. :wink:
I said "many" players. Your rationale probably doesn't apply so broadly. :wink:
"Fear the HUnewearl."