Dolphin meets Sylverant :)

Sylverant is a homebrew open source server for Phantasy Star Online. Dreamcast users still play PSO online with this server even today! This is the official forum for both the online game server as well as the open source project itself. Feel free to post and get a gathering started online! We can also show you how to get connected!

Moderators: BlueCrab, Aleron Ives

Indiket
DC Developer
DC Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Dolphin meets Sylverant :)

Post by Indiket »

Hi Sylverant members, how are you?

Maybe it's a bit of old news, but I think it would be useful to share it here. The Gamecube and Wii emulator, Dolphin, has reached the stable version 3.5. And one of the important changes is the support of the BBA!

So, I tried to use Dolphin Emu with PSO 1&2 GC to connect to Sylverant, and I had success! Pretty cool!!

Here's there are some quick steps to do it, take it as a mini-guide but without too much detail. It should be enough to make it :D

Notes:
* Remember, you have to have a legitimate copy of PSO for the Gamecube (well, specifically the serial number/access key to go with your legitimate copy of PSO for GC) to play on Sylverant.
* The guide is for Windows systems, but Dolphin will also work in a Linux environment (VPN part is different through).

Part 1:
- First, register your legit Gamecube Serial Number / Access Key at Sylverant site: http://sylverant.net .
- Next step is to install "OpenVPN TAP Adapter V9", at http://openvpn.net . I used the "OpenVPN 2.3_rc2" version. If Windows asks you if you trust the software, simply select "Yes."
- Go to Control Panel, Networks. Highlight both the icon created for "TAP-Win32 Adapter V9", and the icon that is for your connection to the internet (mine is Local Area Connection, for example.) You should now be able to bridge the connections together. Once done successfully, you should get a new icon, "Network Bridge."

Part 2:
- Second, get Dolphin 3.5 and the game. Open Dolphin > Go to Options (at the top of the window) > Configure... > "Gamecube" tab > and for SP1 select "BBA", then click "OK."
- Start PSO. If this is your first PSO file on your memory card, select NO when asked if you would like to return to the BIOS menu to set your date/time (selecting yes will crash Dolphin), and then agree to the terms. Your data will be created automatically.
- Press Start and go to Options. (X is the default button for the Gamecube A button.) Now go to "Network Option" and then "Provider Option." (Then select Yes.)
- Choose a memory card to save your network information to. It can be either slot A or slot B, but if you didn't set up a slot B earlier then slot A is your only option. Once this is done, go to "Network Setup."

- Change "Automatically obtain an IP address (DHCP)" to "Manual IP Configuration". In my case DHCP didn't work, but YMMV.
- For "Line timeout (minutes)", Disable this ("Do not automatically disconnect".)
- Use an IP that is not used in your network. In other words, do not put the same IP as your computer uses.
- Select Manual DNS: Sylverant one is 67.222.144.120 at this time.
- Click "Save" and "Return to Game."

You're pretty much ready to go. Go to "Online Game" and select (or make) your character. Agree to the terms and then input your Serial Number/Access Key/Password (can be any Password).

(Fragments of this guide are from: http://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-bb ... #pid224237)

Have fun!!!
Last edited by Indiket on Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Neoblast
DC Developer
DC Developer

Re: Dolphin meets Sylverant :)

Post by Neoblast »

Awesome, nice guide Indi!
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

Until our trusty lobster arrives, I should probably point out that BlueCrab isn't interested in dealing with bugs that may arise from playing the game through unofficial means, so if using Dolphin doesn't work for you, you should ask for support on the Dolphin forum. Anything that doesn't work on Dolphin as it should on a real GameCube and that causes problems when playing online will be up to the Dolphin developers to fix.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
K_I_R_E_E_K
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by K_I_R_E_E_K »

I will probably add this to my blog eventually, seems pretty good and it also seems easy to setup.

While sylverant doesn't have that much of a population for GC, it's still a nice idea, i'm guessing for the 1st few weeks we may see GCubers even if it's just players testing the connection, after that the server will return to normal.

It's an extra way of playing PSO online without having to deal with server side savings and logins.

I may create a GC char if i'm in the mood, even if it's just to make some company to GC players, that way they may leave the server after a few days instead of the usual 5 minutes.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Remember, you have to have a legitimate copy of PSO for the Gamecube (well, specifically the serial number/access key to go with your legitimate copy of PSO for GC) to play on Sylverant. Each SN/AK pair is locked to one account and can only be used by one person. The Sylverant website does not give out SN/AK pairs for Gamecube as it does for PSO for PC -- you must have your own already.

Also, as Aleron Ives stated, if there are bugs that are the result of emulation issues please consult with the Dolphin developers, not me. I have nothing to do with Dolphin at all, and I can't really help if issues come up with it. :wink:
Indiket
DC Developer
DC Developer
Been thanked: 0

Post by Indiket »

@BlueCrab: You're right, thanks for pointing out the detail!! I've just updated my first post.
@Aleron: 100% agree, Dolphin bugs and issues are for the Dolphin guys, and that should be resolved in their domains.