[Server Merge] Sylverant + L33t

Sylverant is a homebrew open source server for Phantasy Star Online. Dreamcast users still play PSO online with this server even today! This is the official forum for both the online game server as well as the open source project itself. Feel free to post and get a gathering started online! We can also show you how to get connected!

Moderators: BlueCrab, Aleron Ives

Kroniedon
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: [Server Merge] Sylverant + L33t

Post by Kroniedon »

BlueCrab wrote:
Treamcaster wrote:
K_I_R_E_E_K wrote: (this because the rules would have to change slightly)
You don't know when to stop do you? You've been banned or rushed out pretty much from every PSO community around and you still keep coming back.
The RULES ARE SET and they're NOT changing. How difficult is that to understand? :brickwall: God dammit dude.
Whoa! He's not asking for the rules here to change. He's merely stating fact that the rules for Sylverant and l33t aren't exactly the same. They're pretty similar, especially since a few things (the list of approved mods) don't actually apply to GC since none of them exist there, pretty much.
Kroniedon wrote:While I respect all the work and development done here so far (Blue Crab, I tip my hat to you for all that you've done here and with PSO in general), I must respectfully refuse any merger between the 2 servers. It's not that I have anything against Sylverant, I just don't think it seems prudent to merge.
Its all good. I figured this wasn't an idea floated directly by the administration, and thus was just a user suggestion.
Of course I wouldn't be opposed to working together on a few things every once in a while. Perhaps in light of the Olympics we could have a PSO Olympics, which I'm sure Larva over at Ultima BB would be interested in joining such an event too. Of course these are just examples of things we could do and such.
Cooperation is of course always welcome. :) We should get together and discuss things in the future to see what fun stuff we can come up with. :mrgreen:
Well, I think that's about it. See ya everyone and keep up the good work on Sylverant. :)
Thanks for your input on the subject! Perhaps one day in the future, as Aleron Ives suggests, it may be more prudent to have such a merge. I can certainly understand the reasoning not to do so though (especially since our community does tend to mainly focus on v1 and v2).
Just let me know when you want to get together to get something going. :)
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Kroniedon wrote:From what I gathered from what I was told by others, I had assumed that when it was active that it was active for all players server wide. I apologize for my assumption. I only check here maybe once every few months so everything I know of the actual mechanics here are based upon my own knowledge of PSO plus what travels through the grapevine. I'm glad that's all cleared up. :)
As Aleron Ives said (I think he's becoming my spokesperson or something :lol: ), we like choice. We know that there'd be a whole bunch of people who would revolt if we were to activate it server wide and force it (although, in many cases they'd probably never notice).
The Sylverant software is pretty impressive. :) But using it still wouldn't be nearly as fun as creating my own software.
I can certainly relate to that, after all, Sylverant is my baby. 8-)
Also, I didn't mean for it to come across that I felt that Sylverant had no player options. I was just giving my reasoning for why I wouldn't want my community to have such a feature, based on what I knew of how it worked. No harm intended. :)
Its all good. Sometimes things get blown out of proportion when new stuff gets introduced, and some people take it the entirely wrong way. The people who take it the wrong way tend to be the ones that speak the loudest on those features, so more people get the wrong idea.
Kroniedon wrote:Just let me know when you want to get together to get something going. :)
At the moment, I'm pretty busy with my studies (I'm pursuing a Masters Degree in Computer Science), but I'm open to stuff at just about any time. It'd probably help to have a bit of advance notice, since it may require adding code to the Server. :wink:
Kroniedon wrote:A server sided common bank would be something that I'd be interested in launching inside my community and a feature I plan to work on. The way I see it, there are 2 real viable ways of doing this. In both ways, you'd need a database tied to the server. Now for the first option, set the database to organize by Guildcard# and put the function in the login menu. I guess the best example of this currently is Chaos's recovery server, which if I remember correctly saves the data of the item you recovered to the user for faster recovery later on.

The second option I see would be to make it in the form of a quest. The only problem I'd have with that is writing from the client to the server, which admittedly, I haven't figured out how to do, but maybe you all have?

Again, I'd be more than happy to offer my help here if you'd like it, but quite frankly my database skills suck.
Well, Sylverant is backed by a database already. Basically, my idea for a server-side bank would be to push everything for it through the shipgate (since in Sylverant, the only two pieces that directly touch the database are shipgate and login_server -- ship_server, since it can be run from outside the machine with the database, does all its database communications through shipgate). From there, it'd be pretty easy to add a table to the database for holding the items that are in the bank (in fact, there actually is one in my database, its just empty). Something to this effect:

Code: Select all

mysql> desc bank;
+------------+------------------+------+-----+---------+-------+
| Field      | Type             | Null | Key | Default | Extra |
| account_id | int(11)          | NO   | MUL | NULL    |       | 
| item1      | int(10) unsigned | NO   |     | NULL    |       | 
| item2      | int(10) unsigned | NO   |     | NULL    |       | 
| item3      | int(10) unsigned | NO   |     | NULL    |       | 
| item4      | int(10) unsigned | NO   |     | NULL    |       | 
5 rows in set (0.00 sec)
Since the bank would be common to a person's account, any guildcards registered on that account would have access to it. Any add/delete operations would have to go through the shipgate for authorization (obviously), which would prevent you from having two clients in the game at one time (on different versions) and being able to use it for duplicating items. From there, it would be possible to use one of the dialog boxes like what is used for picking a ship, block, or information at the desk (for v1/v2/pc) to display the list of items to the user. There are only two difficulties in this approach in total. First is that the server needs to know exactly what is in the user's inventory at all times. This is a problem that is also apparent in Blue Burst, since the server needs to know that there as well. So, Blue Burst support would effectively make this not really a problem (since the same code could easily be ported back to the earlier versions in Sylverant's architecture). The second problem is how to get items into and out of the user's inventory. This is simple in Blue Burst, since there are dedicated packets for doing so, however in the earlier versions there are no such packets.

Oh, and if you need any help in database design, while I can't promise I'm a master of it, I have been through two separate Databases courses in my time as a student (one undergrad and one grad-level), so I might be able to help. Also the Sylverant database layout might potentially be a good reference, since I've tried to think things over with it as I went along. Of course, since its changed over time, it may not be the best layout for the data at this point, but it works out pretty well.
Kroniedon
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Kroniedon »

Haha, you all are much much further ahead on that than I am xD. I'll think I may look into that a bit later, but for now, I'm back to extracting every file in the GC .gcm to see what all I can do with them.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Oh, and on the subject of server-side drops, Sylverant implements the whole system based on the same data files as are used in the game. So, if you're looking to understand any of the item drops related files, that might be a good place to start. :wink:

Granted, I don't remember if much of the file parsing for the GC/BB data files are in there yet (I know there are some I don't do anything with yet, like the ItemPMT for GC), but it shouldn't be that hard to figure most of them out from the Dreamcast/PC ones.
Kroniedon
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Kroniedon »

BlueCrab wrote:Oh, and on the subject of server-side drops, Sylverant implements the whole system based on the same data files as are used in the game. So, if you're looking to understand any of the item drops related files, that might be a good place to start. :wink:

Granted, I don't remember if much of the file parsing for the GC/BB data files are in there yet (I know there are some I don't do anything with yet, like the ItemPMT for GC), but it shouldn't be that hard to figure most of them out from the Dreamcast/PC ones.
I thought it used something similar to that xD. Basically I guess it's the same way I changed the drop rates and dropped items for my Mr.Ninja event on my server, just I did it .gcm based instead of server wide so that I'd have to be the leader of the games with the modded drops, just this is server sided, and I must say a lot more advanced with users being able to opt in to it.

I may look into something like that later, but it's gonna be a while before I have a chance to. I'm making some decent headway into the Ep.4 so far so I want to go as far as I can with that before I do anything else.

Right now I'm doing it in phases. First phase is just to make sure I can port the maps over. So far, everything's been turning out alright. The size constraints and the .gj files are what's slowing my progress. The other files are pretty easy to port over thanks to several tools I've found scattered around. Hopefully I can finish phase 1 today so that I can move onto the items and enemy data
K_I_R_E_E_K
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by K_I_R_E_E_K »

Well, i know it works on xbox, but i also want to see if the gamecube is powerfull enough to show the maps, PSO v2 for example has an "S" shape forest and walls in the other areas for a reason, i'm guessing the same strategy is also used on GC and i'm curious to see what will happen if crater is loaded, if it will load everything (like in BB) or just parts of it.
Will the same happen with desert? don't know, but i want to.
Kroniedon
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Kroniedon »

K_I_R_E_E_K wrote:Well, i know it works on xbox, but i also want to see if the gamecube is powerfull enough to show the maps, PSO v2 for example has an "S" shape forest and walls in the other areas for a reason, i'm guessing the same strategy is also used on GC and i'm curious to see what will happen if crater is loaded, if it will load everything (like in BB) or just parts of it.
Will the same happen with desert? don't know, but i want to.
Oh I have no doubt that there'll be some render lag, but that shouldn't be too bad. If there's too much, I can always scale back the quality of the image files if need be. The only problem right now though is still converting the .xj files into .gj files.

Anyways, the details of my project are probably best discussed over in the thread about it on my forum instead of here. xD