PSO Questions & Answers

Sylverant is a homebrew open source server for Phantasy Star Online. Dreamcast users still play PSO online with this server even today! This is the official forum for both the online game server as well as the open source project itself. Feel free to post and get a gathering started online! We can also show you how to get connected!

Moderators: BlueCrab, Aleron Ives

Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Re: PSO Questions & Answers

Post by Aleron Ives »

Oops, I forgot that it's the GC NTE which only supports the modem. Maybe you should run your own DNS to avoid timeouts with the BBA.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

I did test it with just doing things the DNS route and it worked fine for me, I'm pretty sure. That said, I always have a DNS server on my home network (my router acts as one), so it is possible that it is timing out trying to reach the DNS server on Sylverant (although I'd find that somewhat unlikely if it works in the other versions of the game for you).
Treamcaster
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
Been thanked: 0

Post by Treamcaster »

I just tried with regular PAL v1 and I can't connect to Sylverant without Patcher. PAL v2 connects fine without Patcher.

So if I get v1 to connect without Patcher it's likely I'll get the same for NTE. The question is how do I make this happen, how do I run my own DNS?
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

If you're lucky, your router might give you that option (mine does).

Otherwise, you'll need to have some sort of program running on a computer on your home network. If you'd like, you're welcome to use the same program I do on the Sylverant server itself, which you can conveniently find here in pre-compiled Windows EXE form (since I'm assuming that's probably what you'd need). You'll also need this configuration file to go with it (put it in the same directory as the exe and run it from a command prompt or something). Then, just point your DNS1 at the IP address of whatever computer is running the DNS server, and you should be good to go.
Treamcaster
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Treamcaster »

BlueCrab wrote: Otherwise, you'll need to have some sort of program running on a computer on your home network. If you'd like, you're welcome to use the same program I do on the Sylverant server itself, which you can conveniently find here in pre-compiled Windows EXE form (since I'm assuming that's probably what you'd need). You'll also need this configuration file to go with it (put it in the same directory as the exe and run it from a command prompt or something). Then, just point your DNS1 at the IP address of whatever computer is running the DNS server, and you should be good to go.
Thank you for the programs!
PSO net configuration is very temperamental... I tried to set up everything with pso_dns.exe but I don't think I got it to work.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ff8z1z148lqpw ... o.jpg?dl=0 --> underscore blinks but nothing shows up.
In DC i ran XDP browser to set up DNS to my PCs ipv4 IP and it didn't work. I then tried to config in XDP User settings my pc IP/gateway and Sylverants DNS and it's working now. Works without pso_dns.exe which probably at this point isn't doing anything? Anyways, now PSOv1 and NTE both work online with gdemu or gdrom... however sometimes it fails do connect and I have to try again or reboot console (nte freezes if fails).
BlueCrab wrote:If you're lucky, your router might give you that option (mine does).
Haven't tried this yet.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

The Sylverant DNS program doesn't show anything on the command prompt while it is running (it's designed to be a silent daemon program), so the blinking cursor doesn't mean anything was wrong.

Glad to hear that you managed to get the game working (at least some of the time). I guess a few crashes are to be expected in a trial/beta version of PSO, considering how the final versions crash sometimes too. :wink:
Treamcaster
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Treamcaster »

Good to know the program is well setup. Yeah, no big deal now, 1 or 2 resets and I am in.
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

Yep, it seems that something is wrong with sdrops. I did Endless Nightmare #4 on Very Hard and got 408 Meseta from one badge box and a Valiant Frame from the other. For some reason, they are being treated as random boxes, rather than fixed boxes, even though the random flag on them isn't set. I didn't get badges from #2 and #3, either, nor did the fixed Scape Doll box in #2 work, so it seems that all fixed item boxes are getting mishandled.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

I'll have to set something up to log additional data at some point. For the moment, I'll just recommend not to use /sdrops with quests right now.
Zemekis
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Zemekis »

Hey guys, total noob here. I hope this classifies as a "simple" question:

With the patcher, what exactly am I applying the patch to? I've got a North American Dreamcast, a copy of PSO Version 1, several VMUs, a dial-up modem attached, and i'm waiting on a PlanetWeb Browser v. 2.0 disk in the mail. I'm told that's used to configure my ISP settings.

Thanks in advance for any help that anyone may offer. If i'm in the wrong place for this sort of question, just redirect me and i'll be on my way out of this thread.
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

You're applying the patch to the memory (RAM) of your Dreamcast. That's why you have to use the disc every time you start the game: the patch goes away when you turn the system off. When you load PSO, the DC copies the main game binary (executable) into the RAM and then executes the code to make the game run. The game will try to connect to Sega's server by default, which won't work, since the server is now offline.

The loader finds the specific spot in the game program where that server address is contained and overwrites it to say "sylverant.net" instead. This is only a one-time patch, though, since you can't change the contents of the game disc, so you have to perform the patch in memory every time you load the game.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
Zemekis
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Zemekis »

Aleron Ives wrote:You're applying the patch to the memory (RAM) of your Dreamcast. That's why you have to use the disc every time you start the game: the patch goes away when you turn the system off. When you load PSO, the DC copies the main game binary (executable) into the RAM and then executes the code to make the game run. The game will try to connect to Sega's server by default, which won't work, since the server is now offline.

The loader finds the specific spot in the game program where that server address is contained and overwrites it to say "sylverant.net" instead. This is only a one-time patch, though, since you can't change the contents of the game disc, so you have to perform the patch in memory every time you load the game.
Ahh okay. I think i'm following so far. So when you say 'disk', does that mean I need to burn the patcher and loader on a CD-ROM and put that in my Dreamcast before I put PSO into it? Like I said i'm very new to this kind of thing, so I appreciate you bearing with me.
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

Yes, that's exactly what you do. After the DC runs the boot disc, it will tell you to insert PSO. Open the lid, remove the CD-R, insert PSO, close the lid, and then the loader will detect the disc you inserted (PSO V1 US in your case). It will then tell you to press Start to patch and begin the game.

You should also get a copy of Ver.2 off of eBay. It's cheap and a worthwhile upgrade, as you can't participate in Ultimate mode, Battle mode, or Challenge mode when you play Ver.1.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
Zemekis
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Zemekis »

Aside from buying a copy of ver. 2, I won't need anything additional to play that will I? A similar process to PSO ver. 1 I assume?

Last questions for today: was I correct in buying PlanetWeb to configure my ISP settings? And will I need any sort of modification to my Dreamcast to play the patcher & loader off a CD-ROM?

Thanks for all the help! I'm really looking forward to playing with all of you!
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

The process for connecting both games is the same, and yes, PlanetWeb 2.0 is a good choice for setting up your modem. Do you actually have a dial-up ISP? I'm kind of surprised, as they're getting hard to find these days. Remember that you can't use something like AOL which requires you to install PC software, since you can't install anything on the DC. You can only use a dial-up ISP which lets you connect by directly entering your user name, password, and the number to dial.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
Zemekis
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Zemekis »

I'm not entirely sure to be honest, like most people I have a Cable connection at my house, but I have read elsewhere that many Broadband providers still offer some free Dial-up hours with their package. The best way I heard to test this was to buy PlanetWeb and try to connect. A few years ago I ran a phone line to my laptop and was able to get internet that way, so I just assumed that it'll still be available.
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

That was often the case with DSL, as the phone company would make both services available to you over their phone lines. That's not the case with cable ISPs, since they don't use the phone company or even know if you have a land line in your house. You might get a few hours per month (probably < 24), but you'd still have to figure out what number to dial and what credentials to provide.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
Zemekis
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Zemekis »

Ahh, well that's good to know ahead of time! I've heard that there are some free dial-up ISPs out there that give you some (probably weak & faulty) service for a few hours per month. Any recommendations on that? I live with my family so it's not feasible for me to do away with our current setup just so I can try to get my DC online, unfortunately.

Edit: A little time on Google was enough to give me some leads on this. Any recommendations are still appreciated!
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

That was also only true 15+ years ago. You'd be hard pressed to find a UniDUN in 2014, since modems are obsolete. Your options basically include:
  • Find a cheap ISP, such as 550access.com, that costs < $10 a month. VTRocket used to be another option, but it apparently went out of business.
  • Construct a PC-DC bridge, so that your DC can leech broadband from your PC. You need a voice modem in your PC that accepts incoming calls, and you need a bunch of special software that's hard to set up.
  • Buy a DC broadband adapter (BBA) on eBay for $150, which will let you connect your DC to your broadband directly, assuming you have an easy place to run the Ethernet cable. If you need wireless access, you'd have to buy a wireless router, too.
Note that PSO and Quake III Arena are the only online games that support the BBA. If you want to play other online games, e.g. Star Lancer and Planet Ring, then you must use the modem.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
Zemekis
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Zemekis »

Looks like some free Dial-Up ISP called Juno has some numbers in my area that some people have confirmed to work when they tried to play PSO a year ago. I'll give those a shot and then move on to the cheap Dial-Up if I have to.