PSO Questions & Answers

Sylverant is a homebrew open source server for Phantasy Star Online. Dreamcast users still play PSO online with this server even today! This is the official forum for both the online game server as well as the open source project itself. Feel free to post and get a gathering started online! We can also show you how to get connected!

Moderators: BlueCrab, Aleron Ives

BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Re: PSO Questions & Answers

Post by BlueCrab »

RyoDC wrote:Does quests for PSO have some interchange format?
Can I extract quest data or made another quest?
I've rised this question on schtserv forums but guys said it almost impossible to made a new quest, because they are all hardcoded in a game.
Quests are not hard-coded into the game. You can certainly make new quests for both online and offline usage. In fact, they host a quest editor over at schtserv.

That said, it is not exactly easy to make a brand new quest, and requires a lot more work than you might expect. Especially, if you want to be compatible with the earlier versions of the game.
No`Naught
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by No`Naught »

I'm new and looking for a pso server to call home. I played PSO back on Ep1 DC days. My question is: does this server play on PC & what are the exp/drop rates?
K_I_R_E_E_K
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by K_I_R_E_E_K »

does this server play on PC
Not really sure what's the question here

If you play PSO v2 on pc then the drops are defined by you and by the game leader in teams, not by the server.

If you play PSO BB then the best you can do is use the lobby, the server doesn't support that version of the game to the extend of telling you the drops and exp rates, mainly because you can't use them.
No`Naught
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by No`Naught »

Yeah, I've only played the DC with dial up way back in the day and a shoddy PSOBB server recently. So how do you all connect to this server? Thru DC's?
K_I_R_E_E_K
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by K_I_R_E_E_K »

Well it depends on what kind of connection you want to do.
You can connect vial dial up for example, or by using a broadband adaptor, or by using a pc-dc server (in short your pc is connected to the web and the dreamcast uses this connection to go online, this one isn't easy)

The connect page has some info on how to connect
http://sylverant.net/connecting-to-sylverant/
Last edited by K_I_R_E_E_K on Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No`Naught
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by No`Naught »

Thx for the info. I doubt I will be able to connect anytime soon but if/when I do, what is the population like on here?
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

K_I_R_E_E_K wrote:If you play PSO v2 on pc then the drops are defined by you and by the game leader in teams, not by the server.
True, in general. But you can switch the drops to be done by the server (at least on Iselia). Either way, they're the same rates -- I didn't change the rates for Iselia at all. Also, Vega doesn't support the server-side drops system at all (and I don't remember about Altimira).
If you play PSO BB then the best you can do is use the lobby, the server doesn't support that version of the game to the extend of telling you the drops and exp rates, mainly because you can't use them.
Mostly true, although gaining experience does work on BB, and enemies can drop money (but that's it). That said, you need a specific version of BB as well as a special account (which you can't sign up for -- I'd have to manually add people at the moment) to even get on with BB, so it is all pretty moot anyway.
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

Altimira also has server-side drops with Sega's rates configured, although both Iselia and Altimira switch back to client drops when you load a quest, since quest drops aren't implemented yet.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
baddream
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Re:BBA Setup

Post by baddream »

Looking to get online with my dreamcast. I understand I need to set up my bba before it will work. Tried to download XDP to do this but my computer will only burn as slow as 10x and dreamcast reads around 4x? Any suggestions? I am using a CD-R 700mb disc.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

If you have a copy of the US version of PSOv2, it can do the BBA setup. Just go to the "Website" option, and you'll have what you need.

Also, I've never had problems with burning any sort of homebrew at higher speeds, as long as the CD-Rs are actually of decent enough quality.
baddream
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by baddream »

Great the setup is there. I typed in my own IP address and 67.22.144.120 as the DNS 1 and it loads for awhile then freezes when I try to go online.

I am on a different dreamcast than the original one I had back in the day. Do I have to start a new game or is it freezing because I have the bba info typed in wrong?
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

What exactly do you mean by freezing? Does the game crash, or does it just sit on the little spinning hexagons like it is trying to continue on? Also, what version of the game are you using, and are you using the Sylverant PSO Patcher disc to boot it? If you are using the US version of PSOv2 (or any of the Japanese versions), you need to either use the PSO Patcher or some codebreaker codes to disable the HL check, or the game will never connect.

Are you sure that you put in the correct values for the configuration on your local network (the IP Address, Subnet Mask, and Gateway Address values)?
baddream
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by baddream »

I have the US PSO ver2

I tried burning the patch to a disc but when I put in the console it loads as cd and won't play
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Well, as I said, with USv2, you need to either use the PSO Patcher disc or a Codebreaker with the HL Check Disable code (and the general "Enable Code" for the game, of course). If you're using a BBA and set the DNS properly, you don't need the "Sylverant Connect" code that is listed on the page with the rest of the codes on the Sylverant website.

If you can't get the PSO Patcher disc to burn properly, you may want to try on a different PC or with a different brand of CD-Rs. I've found that often times just using a different brand works wonders in getting things to work properly. In fact, I've had troubles with some of the name brand discs (Sony and the like), whereas most of the store-brand or off-name discs I've used, I've had little to no trouble with.
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

Certain Dreamcasts won't boot certain CD-Rs, too. If you tried this one and it didn't boot:

http://sylverant.googlecode.com/files/p ... .1-cdi.zip

You could try this one:

http://psopalace.sylverant.net/download ... er_1-1.zip

The last production run of Dreamcasts won't boot MIL-CDs, so you might have one of those.

If you use DiscJuggler 4 to burn the image, try setting it up according to this guide:

http://psopalace.sylverant.net/dreamcast_burn.html
"Fear the HUnewearl."
baddream
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by baddream »

Finally got it, works great and I'm online! Thanks for the help
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

baddream wrote:Finally got it, works great and I'm online! Thanks for the help
Glad to hear it. Enjoy! :)
baddream
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by baddream »

Can two dreamcasts both with bba's be online in the same house on the same router?
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

Yes.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
baddream
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by baddream »

Thanks Ives. I have the two dreamcasts and one has a new BBA and US version of PSO2. I should be able to setup the BBA with the website option of the game but when I click it says no ISP information found on dreamcast and won't let me enter. It's acting like I need a web browser for configuration but I shouldn't with PSO2. Has this ever happened before?