PSO Questions & Answers

Sylverant is a homebrew open source server for Phantasy Star Online. Dreamcast users still play PSO online with this server even today! This is the official forum for both the online game server as well as the open source project itself. Feel free to post and get a gathering started online! We can also show you how to get connected!

Moderators: BlueCrab, Aleron Ives

Treamcaster
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Been thanked: 0

Re: PSO Questions & Answers

Post by Treamcaster »

Not sure if this is a bug that can be fixed or not, but today I was doing some solo run on r1, got invencible/ debanded/ shiftaed and then piped back to p2 and decided to go for the global warming quest.. I started f1 with the previously mentioned status conditions.
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter
Has thanked: 0

Post by Aleron Ives »

The game has always worked that way. It's only offline mode that strips your bonuses when starting quests.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
kencaesi
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Can new items be added (or present items manipulated) in DC

Post by kencaesi »

Can new items be added to DC PSO/v2? What are the limits?

I am not refering to the act of of making something from scratch, that would take team of programers before the game goes to the copiers, but rather something like challenge mode weapons that seeming just rename a existing weapon (if I understand the game mechanics correctly) or the temporary items like the seasonal "valentine's day chocolate" given out as a quest reward. Does DC PSO allow for new items to appear and current item list to be manipulated?
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

You can only add items by making a new disc, which wouldn't be very desirable, since PSOv2 doesn't work right on a CD-R. If GDEMU adapters become cheaper and easier to acquire, then there are more possibilities.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
marcosunix23
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by marcosunix23 »

:( Crabby I have a question. This patch 2.0 for play PSO on server Sylverant Works with method PC-DC Server? Because some friends can't connect without this patch and if put 8.8.8.8 like DNS not work too. I have plan to buy the GD-Rom PSO v2 but i want know if Works with PC-DC server.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

There shouldn't be any problem using the patcher with a PC-DC server setup. The patcher disc patches the server address in the game at runtime so that it never tries to look up Sega's old server addresses -- it will look up sylverant.net in the DNS (so any DNS server will work at that point).

As for why people can't connect right now, there's basically two reasons. 1) If they're using any version that had a hunter's license check (Japanese v1 or v2, US v2), then that needs to be patched out -- which the patcher does. 2) If they're using a version that didn't require that check (European v1 or v2, US v1), then they're probably using the Sylverant DNS server, which is down right now due to people attempting to use it in a DNS amplification attack. Using the patcher disc with a DNS server like 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 should work just fine no matter what version people are using.
Kilano
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Kilano »

Spoiler!
Hi,
a group of buddys and me found out about the Wii+Devolution thing
we did set up everything emulated broadband but we cant connect online.
to be honest my english is far from perfect so im at a loss

what exactly to put into the network settings to connect to your server.
[dns, ip etc.]

i hope anybody can help me

btw. can i use my normal key from the PSO GC Game?
i put it in the Magae Key Site but it did nothing other than displaying it ^^

EDIT:
got it working :)
- Kilano
- #Team303 [Hitbox Livestreams]
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Glad to hear you got it working. :grin:

Care to share what you were doing wrong, if anything -- that way, in case someone else ever runs into a similar question they can find the answer here?
Kilano
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Kilano »

BlueCrab wrote:Glad to hear you got it working. :grin:

Care to share what you were doing wrong, if anything -- that way, in case someone else ever runs into a similar question they can find the answer here?
:) i got a complete fresh SD Card with just basic Homebrew. I put Devolution and Clean Rip on it.
Proceeded like the Video told me and it got me connected. Hope to guide my Buddies trough that tomorrow for some good Oldschool PSO [Dazran played it on Dreamcast with horror bills at the end of each month in 2001 and recorded tons of Sessions with an old VHS Camcorder ^^]

:( tested now 6 times but i lose connection after i start a mission mostly i can move for 1-2 minutes and then i get error No.100 connection is gone. i try again tomorrow and see if my buddies can get it flaweless to work.
If i Destroy Crates there is Nothing in it or it blinks and the item insta vanishes.
- Kilano
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Sometimes, Devolution's PPP server has trouble staying connected to the server. It appears to be some sort of network congestion issue between the server that Devolution connects to by default and my server.

At some point, I would like to set up my own PPP server for Devolution to connect to, but alas, I haven't had the time to do so as of yet.
tueidj
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by tueidj »

Are you using a real (not emulated) memory card? Sounds like an old bug in the modem emulation that would make the game think the memory card had been removed... make sure you're using the latest version of Devolution (r200) to rule that out.
Kilano
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Kilano »

tueidj wrote:Are you using a real (not emulated) memory card? Sounds like an old bug in the modem emulation that would make the game think the memory card had been removed... make sure you're using the latest version of Devolution (r200) to rule that out.
im using an emulated Memory Card. I use the latest Version.
Would you advise for real or emulated?

Got a nice Game Session going today. And even before that i
always could stay connected longer on Sylverant, than any of my Schtacks attempts
that kicked me and my buddies minutes into the Game.

thank you for your post seeing the Devolution Guy answering
gives me hope :)
- Kilano
Fredo
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Fredo »

Hey guys, I've got a problem here with my loots.

It's quite easy to describe: I can't seem to be able to get any "rare" item by drop, monsters or boxes do not give me any "yellow CAPS LOCK weapon" (or armors) anymore. I insist because when playing Ruins in Very Hard, I used to get lots of Varista, slicer of assassin, club of laconium, brionac etc; but I haven't been able to get any for a few days.

I used to play on an official Pal PSOv2, then tried the "Expansion Pack", that is supposed to get you more rare items. It worked as I got several rare items (enemy parts for exemple), but I don't know why, it completely stopped working. And, moreover, the problem also seems to concern my official PSOv2 as well, which is really wierd. I really don't get how this could happen.

If it can help, I had some crashes online due to the use of the Expansion pack, which lead to the loss of all my money and unequipped gear. To avoid that, I only play official PSO online, and I often make a copy of my save file using DC Explorer.

Do you have any ideas of what happened and what to do ? maybe my save file is corrupted or something related to my ID that prevents me from getting the rare items connected to my ID ?
PSO v2 (DC): Kalkatan. RaMar lv126
K_I_R_E_E_K
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by K_I_R_E_E_K »

This seems to be a PSO v2 Dreamcast issue i suppose.
If your vmu has gameshark codes or codebreaker codes alongside with the actual saves, then the game will detect the codes (doesn't matter what codes are or even if it's an options save file) and remove all rare drops and all items with 9 or +9 stars.

A quick way to check it is to start a normal game (not quest) and then destroy the big brown boxes in ultimate, if nothing drops then you know a rare drop was going to drop.

Check your vmu, delete anything related to gameshark, action replay, codebreaker or use another vmu only for that purpose.

Expansion pack is a cd-r version made by aleronives, however the mere fact it beeing an iso you can use means a FSOD may happen, it's not related to that iso in specific, all cd-r versions of pso v2 may fsod when players join your game, there is no solution to it as it happens at random.
I assume the crash happens in that case right? Or are the crashes happening in different situations? (please specify in detail if that is the case)

Backup your saves by using your method or by using the save and restore funtion in the server (check server commands)
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

It's also worth noting that if you play a quest, rare items will not drop. You must play the "free" game in order to get rares, regardless of which disc you use.

The GameCube version will also disable your rare drops if you have certain hacked items, such as Mags above level 200, but I assume you're not using any such items, and I don't think the Dreamcast version has those protections, anyway.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
Fredo
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Fredo »

Thank you Kireek ! it was indeeda matter of Gameshark file on the memory card. I used it to try and connect to Sylverant using the codes before buying my BBA.

Is this some kind of sneaky way Sega found to prevent cheating ?

Also, thank you for the info about the absence of rare drops during quests, I never realized that ! :o
PSO v2 (DC): Kalkatan. RaMar lv126
K_I_R_E_E_K
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by K_I_R_E_E_K »

I guess it was a method to prevent cheating, sega also implemented a basic legit checker on the servers, but none of them were actually effective at preventing cheating and other annoyances.

In a way it made sense to use something of the sort, but now it's something that only causes trouble, unlike the legit checker that was announced on the welcome message when you went online (on the official servers), this method to prevent cheating is never mentioned to you, so it's rather hard to determine what went wrong.

My experience was similar, one of the disks saved something on the vmu, it was something that was saved just because i had a vmu inserted, PSO detected it and it took me quite a while to understand what was the problem when rares stoped droping.
Kilano
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Kilano »

so real gamecube memory card or emulated? whts best? :?:
- Kilano
Idiot for Life
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Use Codebreaker for All Level Unlock

Post by Idiot for Life »

Hi, Me and my friend want to play PSO, but we don't want to play every level alone in order to play them online. Is it against server rules to use a codebreaker to unlock all levels?
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Technically, it is against the rules.

However, I don't really care one way or the other on that one -- as long as you're not using any other cheats.