PSO Questions & Answers

Sylverant is a homebrew open source server for Phantasy Star Online. Dreamcast users still play PSO online with this server even today! This is the official forum for both the online game server as well as the open source project itself. Feel free to post and get a gathering started online! We can also show you how to get connected!

Moderators: BlueCrab, Aleron Ives

Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Re: PSO Questions & Answers

Post by Aleron Ives »

There's no legit way to acquire those skins, and the server is aware of when you're using them, so I did suggest that legit mode should block them in the past (along with similar things, such as changing the colour of your name). It's not particularly harmful, so it wasn't high on the priority list. I don't know if BlueCrab cares about players using them, but I would certainly say that someone in a legit team would have reason to ask you to leave if you joined with an NPC skin, as the fact that you have one means that you were cheating to enable it.
These users thanked the author Aleron Ives for the post:
legit nyck
"Fear the HUnewearl."
Rapture
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
Been thanked: 0

Post by Rapture »

Sounds like the skin would be an issue so I will pass on in. I appreciate the quick response. :)
Stardust Girl
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Stardust Girl »

Hi there,
I am trying to connect to the server, but it just won't work. After checking for the DNS server, the game tells me "No.115 Connection Error" and disconnects. Can someone help me out?
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

We need more information than that to be able to help you. Are you using a GC, Wii, or Dolphin? Are you using a modem or the BBA? Did you set DNS 1 to 67.222.144.120 in the game's network settings? Are you using PSO+ or the regular version?
"Fear the HUnewearl."
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

The error you got either implies that you haven't registered your serial number/access key on the website for the server or there was some sort of server-side error when you tried to connect.

You have to register for an account on the server website and link your serial number/access key pair to your account before you can play on the Gamecube version of PSO.
mahkbooks
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by mahkbooks »

What can we do if we download the character data from our account? Does this allow a dc character to be transferred to pc? Or can we place it onto a vmu somehow? Just wondering why I would want to download my character data.
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

It was mostly added as a response to the fact that everybody lost their BB character data when SCHTServ died two months ago. If you download your character data, you could upload it again later in case something horrible happened to the server. It really isn't a very important feature as long as BB support isn't available, but it technically works for DC and PC, so BlueCrab added it. :P
"Fear the HUnewearl."
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

To expand on what Aleron Ives said, a bit...

Yes, it was basically added as a response to what happened at SCHTServ with their server's hard drive dying, and yes, it will work with Blue Burst once the server supports it fully. For the time being though, it's mostly for you to have an archived copy of your save file. In theory, you could use it to keep regular backups of your character data and inventory (remember, the server doesn't know what's in your bank on anything except Blue Burst) and to "infinitely" expand the 4 slots that the server gives you (since you can use /save, then download the data, then overwrite it without worrying about losing it).

At the moment, there's no way to upload the data to the server, but I do intend to add that feature sometime in the somewhat near future.

Oh, and just to make sure nobody thinks about doing it, you can't modify the character data file and have the server accept it later for a re-upload. It's completely unencrypted, but it is cryptographically signed so that the server can tell if you tampered with the character data. :wink:
tueidj
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Variable FPS?

Post by tueidj »

Are all versions of PSO locked to 30fps? Do any of them suffer from framerate drops without the gameplay speed slowing down to match?
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

All versions are locked, and the PAL versions are not optimised for 50 Hz, either. You're stuck in a permanent state of slow motion if you don't have a PAL60 TV, which is why both DC and GC 50 Hz users had separate ships to prevent them from being at a disadvantage when mixed with 60 Hz players.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
tueidj
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by tueidj »

I could probably fix that for the PAL GC version with a little bit of work (make it wait on a recurring 30Hz timer instead of two vertical retraces), but I was actually hoping to enable 60fps gameplay. Unfortunately it seems impossible since the time between frames isn't measured at all, animations and such just have a set number of frames that they iterate through rather than having interpolated movement. The best I can manage is playing the game at double speed which is amusing but not very productive.
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

It'll also cause some quest timers to run twice as fast, and it wouldn't surprise me if it lets you feed your Mag twice as often, too. Sega relies on frame counting to track time in some silly ways. If you have information on how to manipulate PSO's model formats (particularly when it comes to converting to a standard format such as OBJ and then back to NJ/NJX), we've been sorely lacking PSO model tools for a long time.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
S N K
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by S N K »

BlueCrab wrote:The error you got either implies that you haven't registered your serial number/access key on the website for the server or there was some sort of server-side error when you tried to connect.

You have to register for an account on the server website and link your serial number/access key pair to your account before you can play on the Gamecube version of PSO.
Hiya I'm trying to connect to the game via my Gamecube but I keep getting No.018 Connection Attempt Failed. I'm pretty sure I entered all my information correctly when I registered my guildcard.
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

Did you set DNS 1 to Sylverant's IP address on the network setup page?
"Fear the HUnewearl."
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Error No.018 is not a server-generated error. I'm reasonably sure that that is something being misconfigured or not connected properly on your end.
S N K
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by S N K »

BlueCrab wrote:Error No.018 is not a server-generated error. I'm reasonably sure that that is something being misconfigured or not connected properly on your end.
I ran a few tests and it seems my current modem is having issues trying to connect to the broadband adaptor. I ran a straight line thru a router and while a 1st it didn't detect the ethernet connection, It was able to via the router but I only made it as far as the lobby screen trying to connect to the server again only it keeps timing out. I talked to a tech savvy friend of mine about the issue over skype and he suggested one of tlese things he said which should help fix the problem.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/252055109079

Not too much money but I guess my DSL modem just doesn't like this game when connected directly.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

I don't think a hub or switch will do much good if you aren't able to connect when you're using your router. I could be wrong, but I don't see any reason why it would help at all in that situation.

Perhaps try restarting your DSL modem and see if that helps? It can't hurt anyway...
S N K
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by S N K »

BlueCrab wrote:I don't think a hub or switch will do much good if you aren't able to connect when you're using your router. I could be wrong, but I don't see any reason why it would help at all in that situation.

Perhaps try restarting your DSL modem and see if that helps? It can't hurt anyway...
I gave it a shot. It knows the connection is there but I got to the lobby screen once again and it timed out with (No.102). I'll have to see if the hub works but I guess this DSL modem doesn't like this BB Adaptor.
Sir Rappington
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Sir Rappington »

You said "direct to router" worked (kinda) but using the modem is the problem? I'm not sure I understand that. The modem would be responsible for your actual connection, so the only middleman to remove there would be the router... unless I'm missing something.

Interesting that you seem to connect but then the 102 error comes up. You could always ping Sylverant's IP (assuming it doesn't block ping?) and see what your connection is actually like. That would at least tell you if it's your BBA or software settings, or if it's a greater problem of having a weak connection to Sylverant.

Probably unrelated: I usually fail on my first connection attempt before getting the lobby flyover screen, can't remember what error number. Second attempt always succeeds. I'm guessing this is more a quirk of the Dolphin emulator that I use, though.
Old GC player from ~05-08, casually playing a new set of chars on Dolphin. Messages over Discord will find me fastest :)

Capt.Durple (RAmar, high ult lvl)
LaserLemon (HUnewearl, high ult)
Winterleaf (FOmarl, mid ult)
Pocket Tank (HUcaseal, mid ult)
Tin Can Dan (RAcast, mid ult)
Dr. NOPE (FOnewm, mid ult)
OliverLeo (HUmar, low ult)
Firebolt (RAmarl, low ult)
DivineArbor (FOmar, VH)
Moonbow (FOnewearl, VH)
S N K
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by S N K »

Sir Rappington wrote:You said "direct to router" worked (kinda) but using the modem is the problem? I'm not sure I understand that. The modem would be responsible for your actual connection, so the only middleman to remove there would be the router... unless I'm missing something.

Interesting that you seem to connect but then the 102 error comes up. You could always ping Sylverant's IP (assuming it doesn't block ping?) and see what your connection is actually like. That would at least tell you if it's your BBA or software settings, or if it's a greater problem of having a weak connection to Sylverant.

Probably unrelated: I usually fail on my first connection attempt before getting the lobby flyover screen, can't remember what error number. Second attempt always succeeds. I'm guessing this is more a quirk of the Dolphin emulator that I use, though.
Well what it is when I connect the cable directly from the BB Adapter to the DSL, The Ethernet doesn't even light up. I figured it might have been the cable at 1st but I connected the router to the modem and then from that I ran it to the BB Adapter and the Ethernet Light came up so the cable seems fine. I'm scratching my head here at this.