Sylverant Feature Suggestions

Sylverant is a homebrew open source server for Phantasy Star Online. Dreamcast users still play PSO online with this server even today! This is the official forum for both the online game server as well as the open source project itself. Feel free to post and get a gathering started online! We can also show you how to get connected!

Moderators: BlueCrab, Aleron Ives

K_I_R_E_E_K
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Re: Sylverant Feature Suggestions

Post by K_I_R_E_E_K »

Yes a music is indeed played, but after you kill the boss you also hear a specific sound and some particle effects appear, letting you know that it worked.
Didi
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Suggested Radio PSO

Post by Didi »

Hello
I just finish uploading some 195 songs PSO in a radio player, and if they have the interest to use it, I will provide the html code.

The link page where it gives the player the radio is this: http://www.nossa-lingua-pso.net/2011/03/bate-papo.html

and the code is this:

Code: Select all

<iframe allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="300" src="http://www.lognplay.com/player.asp?cod=139075&tipoplayer=R" width="400"></iframe>
Passatempo favorito: Jogar os diversos PSOs
legit nyck
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by legit nyck »

This is just an idea but I think it would be a great idea
It's about the ships would be much better if when a player entered
in any of the ships they all were redirected to a
so they would all be in the same boat and it
would have a greater integration between players
It's silly to have four independent ship's separating one player from another :roll:
PsO Brazilian Hunter RAmar
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

legit nyck wrote:This is just an idea but I think it would be a great idea
It's about the ships would be much better if when a player entered
in any of the ships they all were redirected to a
so they would all be in the same boat and it
would have a greater integration between players
It's silly to have four independent ship's separating one player from another :roll:
Basically, that's asking for one ship. The problem is, some people are very picky about the way they play the game (see all the drama a few years back with the super-legit players lashing out about the server rules). Each ship caters to a different group of people. Yes, many people don't care about such things and will play anywhere, but not everyone. For instance, a few people didn't like that some things on Altimira cater to those using Aleron Ives' enhancement pack. If I were to make those changes across all ships, it would be sure to anger people. If I were to force Altimira to adopt the same rules as everywhere else, that would also anger people.

Thus, we have different ships catering to different people. It's the easiest way to maintain peace.
K_I_R_E_E_K
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by K_I_R_E_E_K »

The problem nyck, is that after the rules came out, some players defended and that is with the only way they can, they either play elsewhere or they lock games.
Sometimes players complain that all they see is locked games, that added to the lvl requirement and quests sometimes creates the case where you need to start your own game as you can't join.

The community itself can't play together, they reject someone that cheats more than them and only some actually allow such gameplay, often leading them not beeing wanted in certain games.
One group of players plays one and only one version of PSO, the rest plays whatever version of pso there is, with different stats, enemy stats, item stats, char stats, drop rates and so on, making it difficult to actually discuss PSO subject, it's like asking the best weapon of PSO and then making the question to dc, gc and BB players.

Keep in mind that some ppl complained that this wasn't a biased decision when it crealy was, the "reason" given included many other modifications, but that was unwanted so they used one.
I understand that they picked it and had to explain why they did it afterwards, forgetting the many other similar modifications (if not identical), when presented with this the reply was that you need to warn users before you use them or that they aren't allowed altogether (because it's not listed as allowed), if they had so many walls to prevent free use, they why allow the exact same thing on a mod made by 1 user.
Biased it is and luckily i wasn't involved.
Usually the ppl involved get very deffensive.

Sometimes i do get requests for the password of a particular game, but that is not given because even when you play a different PSO, we can't report, so we prevent problems by locking games, yes sometimes players don't like it and some players are indeed welcomed, but you have to show that 1st, relying on a PM is problematic.

Sure, having 1 ship would make sense, but since there are several (more than 1) communities, each one tries their best to do what is possible, that includes quests or minor rules change so it fits everyone's tastes.
Each community also deploys their own PSO Leaders or gms, back when i was a GM or when i was a member at dc-talk, i helped in some PSO matters because i was pretty much the only one with sufficient interest, one of the quests in the vega ship was converted by an outside member, however he only came to me because another community here gave him poor support. What am i saying, let's be realistic, they gave no support at all, i won't name the community as i don't want to see them cry, all i know is that the user felt his efforts going to waste and was only after finding dc-talk that he got the quest finished.
Sometimes picking a ship is also a way of showing how you support the community, it's rules and it's quests.
Having more ships enables some sort of "competitivity", if everyone was like a specific community, either they would receive praise for doing nothing or things would stall.

You probably know nyck, sometimes players want to do normal and some want to play ultimate, some want forest runs and some want ruins runs.
The differences makes you create different open games, sometimes that's not enough so you change ships, obviously if that doesn't please you then you change server or play offline, in the last case you play a different game.
You can try and lure players to a specific ship, but in the end does that change anything? they are still in the server.

Isn't like one of the ships mainly for Portuguese users? so they can speak with others using the native languange?
legit nyck
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by legit nyck »

I understand now thx K_I_R_E_E_K and blueCrab
PsO Brazilian Hunter RAmar
tueidj
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
Been thanked: 0

Post by tueidj »

Request: move code to a better repository host before google pulls the plug.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

tueidj wrote:Request: move code to a better repository host before google pulls the plug.
Already was in-progress. :wink:
lazareth
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by lazareth »

In the friend list, for current location, instead of just saying offline, perhaps say "Offline since <date>" so that we can know if a friend has been offline for several months or just a day or two.
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

I assume you mean on the website, right? When you get the message in game, it means that your friend just signed off at that instant.
"Fear the HUnewearl."
lazareth
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by lazareth »

Aleron Ives wrote:I assume you mean on the website, right? When you get the message in game, it means that your friend just signed off at that instant.
Yes, I am referring to the website.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Right now, I don't keep the dates/times people have been online or offline, so it'd take a bit to do that. That said, it shouldn't be too hard to do, so I'll add it to the list of stuff I should work on when I get time. :wink:
lazareth
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by lazareth »

Yay! My idea was considered.
Treamcaster
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Treamcaster »

I've been cooking this idea for a while...
It seems we didn't find an *efficient* way to communicate with hunters among Ragol yet. But fear not, I think we got it but we don't really use it!

Tell me what you think:
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

The server status is now loaded separately from the main site. Your browser won't fetch it until after the rest of the page loads (it is done by JavaScript with an onload element on the <body> tag -- so that event doesn't fire until the rest of the page loads). Unfortunately, it still takes a lot longer to load the front page of the site than I'd like, so there's still work to be done in that regard... :?

As for the idea of showing message count and such, I could see potentially adding a notification for it somewhere on the site (assuming you're logged in, of course), but probably not where you've suggested. To me, it just wouldn't fit there. :wink:
Treamcaster
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Treamcaster »

BlueCrab wrote: As for the idea of showing message count and such, I could see potentially adding a notification for it somewhere on the site (assuming you're logged in, of course), but probably not where you've suggested. To me, it just wouldn't fit there. :wink:
Yes, I agree with you. This was just a simple mock up. Since you already implemented auto-login, with a visible message icon alert, I think people would use this feature more often!! I think many people are not aware of this feature you implemented and may not know how to use it, plus no one really remembers to see if they got mail in their account page, it's like an "hidden" feature the way it is right now. People use forum PMs or create forum topics to arrange games... we need an integrated server solution, and I think we're half way there.
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

The purpose of the feature isn't really what you think, though. You only receive Simple Mail on the website if somebody tries to send you a message if you're not online, and this mainly happens if somebody tries to mail you when you're changing blocks or leaving a team, because to the server, you're not online when you're doing those things. IMO it would be better to hold mail on the server until you're done bursting, rather than forwarding it to the website. Yes, that requires changes, but you're not supposed to vanish from the list of players on the server when you're bursting, anyway. :P
"Fear the HUnewearl."
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Well, actually, I didn't intend for it to be for while you were changing lobbies and such... It was fully meant for people to be able to send you mail whenever and know that you'd eventually get it, regardless of whether you were online or not anywhere near that time. :wink:

Also, the whole thing with switching lobbies/teams isn't a problem, unless you're on a different block/ship than the sender, IIRC.
Aleron Ives
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Aleron Ives »

Even if you're on the same block, the person who's bursting will disappear from the Choice Search results, and if you send mail to the player during that time, the message gets bounced to the website, IIRC. I'll test it again to be sure. :P
"Fear the HUnewearl."
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Well, it sorta makes sense for them to disappear from choice search results. Kinda hard to put a finger on where exactly they are when they're bursting, after all. :wink: